Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

Seasonal competition:

It's always nice to know what's coming. And for a competitor it's nice to know what events he can expect in the coming year. What is even more exciting is to have returning prestigious tournaments on set dates where players try to prove their strength again and again. I don't think this whole idea is feasible right now, but it certainly can be given a thought and can be worked towards. I believe, to stimulate growth in the competitive community, that returning tournaments are of great value and can blaze fire into our damped spirits again.

Awareness:

Before any of this can be considered, or carried out, we'll need awareness to be raised of our ingame playerbase. Have more of them actively participate in the core community (which is the forums). I think this post by Gilan gives enough insight in how do work towards this - ironically his post states that there should be less emphasis on comp play heh. With a bigger active playerbase it'll be easier to achieve a higher competitive standard.

Agenda:

Basically, there will be an agenda of the big competitive events happening every year. What I propose is having four big tournaments series in spring, summer, autumn and winter. These tournaments series will all work differently but all of them come down to one thing of course; battling. Which could look like this:

PokeMMO Master Tour: 23th of March - 1st of June (2015)

PokeMMO Diamond Challenge: 6th of July - 14th of September (2015)

PokeMMO Super League: 5th of October - 7th of December (2015)

PokeMMO Lord of the Underdogs: 4th of January - 7th of March (2016)

PokeMMO Master Tour:

Testing the limit of every player, using all our eventual tiers in one competition (OU, UU and NU). The competition is about finding the best all round and persistent player; master of the game. Every weekend on Saturday and Sunday there will be two tournaments that players can sign up in without a sign up limit. You get awarded one point for every match that you win, you get two extra points for winning a final. At the end of 9 weeks (3 tournaments for all 3 tiers) the 8 players with the most points face off at the end in a single elimination tournament (best of 3, OU, UU and NU). All of the tournaments should be hosted at the same times and the agenda should be available on the forums. Something like:

Saturday 28th of March; 5pm EST; Master Tour OU; sign up 4pm EST

Sunday 29th of March; 5pm EST; Master Tour UU; sign up 3pm EST

Prize: Normal prizes for the tour tournaments. Huge payout, comp HP shiny for the final.

Needed: Two hosts and up to 3-4 refs that can keep this going for 10 weeks.

PokeMMO Super League:

Mixing politics and economic strategies with Pokémon battling, excellent. The simple concept is Managers get picked after an application process. Players sign up and then the auction begins! I would link my PSL thread but Tranz thrashed it. This is a long going competition if you include the manager -and player sign ups plus the auction. But those could be done while the Diamond Challenge is in its final stages. Eight teams are formed and duke it out for 9 weeks (7 normal rounds with 2 final knock-out rounds).

You'd need a lot of refs so players can set up their matches. This competition does use the forum as the official form of communication, match times and match scheduling can only be done on the forums. Refs should post times every week on which they can ref battles for example;

LeTyrone: Mo - Fr 10am - 12pm EST; Sa - Su 12pm - 3pm EST

Caracal: Mo - We 4pm - 5pm EST; Su 3pm - 8pm EST

etc.

Players will have to look at this and schedule matches according, post in the thread etc. I think for this to be possible (it is) you'd need about 8 refs that can commit a few hours a week, also have refs with varied timezones. I've been working on perfecting the rules of PSL in two seasons and I hope to make the third one go even smoother. With trial and error I think I can work up a way for this to work officially too.

Prize: Exclusive customization, also some pity prizes for the last 4 lel

Needed: 1-2 good host(s), 6-8 refs that can be available during certain times at the day.

PokeMMO Diamond Challenge:

Unlike the other two competitions this one solely focuses on one tier; OU. This is a very simple tournament series that uses the Swiss system. You start with the first tournament with however many players you get and plat 5-6 swiss rounds, the ones that don't meet the cutoff (like top 32) fall out. The rest proceeds to Bronze (top 16) > Silver > (top 8) Gold (top 2). Best of three to determine the Diamond player. Every 'promotion' should give you a prize (a bigger and bigger prize).

This tournament does not need a lot of days to play out so even though a lot of players fall out there is more than enough room for other hosts to plan unrelated tournaments in this 'season'.

Prize: goodies

Needed: 1 host, lot of fucking refs > not so many refs

Lord of the Underdogs:

This either repeats the Diamond Challenge format with a lower tier (UU master race), or repeats the Master Tour format with 3 gimmicks (Monotype, Speed, Monocolour as example).

My suggestion would be to repeat the Diamond Challenge format as it is the least 'demanding' of the tournaments from hosts and refs. These series could be used as 'rest' periods between the two bigger competitions (The Master Tour and Super League)..

Final comments:

Thanks for reading, I have been thinking of this for some time and finally decided to type it out. Mind you these are still rough sketches. I would like to hear your ideas on this, with our current amount of moderators and our current competitive playerbase I do not think these ideas are feasible. But as the forum playerbase and the actual playerbase will grow (hopefully with advertisement and improved ingame awareness of forums and events) we can also see more moderators being needed giving us more potential hosts, refs and last but not least comp players.

I think after today we realize 75 second to a loss is an awful rule.

Thoughts.

It's a decent rule, but it rewards play that isn't all that fair. If anything it benefits the Mods because now they don't have to make decisions. Like truly, they don't do anything but watch now. 

EDIT: To make this worth while, I would say let a match go for 30 minutes then let the AFK be pressed. As much as I don't want a finals decided by this, I also don't want the mods making a tough tournament deciding decision either. We've seen that and it's bad. 

Edited by DoubleJ

It's a decent rule, but it rewards play that isn't all that fair. If anything it benefits the Mods because now they don't have to make decisions. Like truly, they don't do anything but watch now. 

EDIT: To make this worth while, I would say let a match go for 30 minutes then let the AFK be pressed. As much as I don't want a finals decided by this, I also don't want the mods making a tough tournament deciding decision either. We've seen that and it's bad. 

This sounds like a good idea

120 sec seems better imo. Ofc only the devs can decide that.

Championship series

winners of official tournys get invited to a kanto championship for  tourneys hosted in kanto and a hoenn one for tournys hosted in hoenn then the winner gets to fight it out for champion of pokemmo. At the end of a certain amount of time the champion can be challenged by whoever has most official tourny wins and continuing it on like that. (must get glittery crown plox) hopefully you consider this as I think it is something that would be fun to participate in and fun to watch. Just a thought on something for comp players to aim at and to keep comp play fresh.

p.s I am terrible with grammar sorry :3

Championship series

winners of official tournys get invited to a kanto championship for  tourneys hosted in kanto and a hoenn one for tournys hosted in hoenn then the winner gets to fight it out for champion of pokemmo. At the end of a certain amount of time the champion can be challenged by whoever has most official tourny wins and continuing it on like that. (must get glittery crown plox) hopefully you consider this as I think it is something that would be fun to participate in and fun to watch. Just a thought on something for comp players to aim at and to keep comp play fresh.

p.s I am terrible with grammar sorry :3

Believe it or not, I actually thought of something like this weeks ago. I'm still fleshing out some of the finer details on it, such as whether or not to subdivide regions and such.

Believe it or not, I actually thought of something like this weeks ago. I'm still fleshing out some of the finer details on it, such as whether or not to subdivide regions and such.

Yeah I think comp players would appreciate something like this especially if you had like a special item for winning such as a crown for the bragging rights ^-^.

you could also have a diamond crown if you win it 3 times if you make it a series thing but srs make the crown happen I need it.

Would anyone like to see a Speed tournament or Monotype tournament to have a change from all of these OU tournaments? Just asking opinions, let me know.

no. imo its more important to get the tiers set than to have a variety in tournies atm. There are a lot of people who are w8ing on UU and some who are looking forward to NU so i would say that goal will take priority. 

A pretty good idea would be Xela's old Treasure hunt event with the clues for each round and figuring out the clue would give out a password to go onto the next round with a different format , such as Teams- Eggplant hosted a scavenger hunt in which anyone could form teams of 4 with other players and register so more complex clues would be solved among teams for a total yen prize that could be divided 4 ways amongst the team-mates .This would require at least 10 clues minimum for it to be at least 15-20 mins.

Now you guys have a Mastersesque official series running, what events would you like to see in the next few months? Other than obviously a lot of UU standards (whilst also showing OU some love). Feel free to suggest non tournament events and forum events also if you have one in mind. Think about tournaments/events you have enjoyed in the past or maybe even a completely new one. :)

Now you guys have a Mastersesque official series running, what events would you like to see in the next few months? Other than obviously a lot of UU standards (whilst also showing OU some love). Feel free to suggest non tournament events and forum events also if you have one in mind. Think about tournaments/events you have enjoyed in the past. :)

Double elimination tourneys, maybe dual tiered when UU is more stable.

Tier Shift

main ones that come to mind atm. keep standards coming though c: