Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

Catching events are not all luck, I can assure you of that, even safari zone has its own little things you can plan for.

also wtf does this even mean: 'Thats not a fee for entering the tournament, that is you trying to get a competitive advantage to win."

you gonna catch 6 random pokes & pray to the gods you're gonna win the shiny?

thats just stupid.

A fee for a tournament is something you have to pay to enter, you are not giving up those things you caught to enter this tournament, you are not paying yen to enter this tournament, you will keep those forever, or until you trade them.

EDIT: Also yagami, I never said to do away with them completely, i just said with 4 or 5 or whatever the fuck ou tier tournaments there are right now, they shouldn't be handed out every week.
Edited by Munya

Catching events are not all luck, I can assure you of that, even safari zone has its own little things you can plan for.

A fee for a tournament is something you have to pay to enter, you are not giving up those things you caught to enter this tournament, you are not paying yen to enter this tournament, you will keep those forever, or until you trade them.

Please assure me of how catching events are nothing but luck? No person has any control whatsoever on the nature/ivs of the pokemon that they are going to catch. If that's not luck then what is?

Please assure me of how catching events are nothing but luck? No person has any control whatsoever on the nature/ivs of the pokemon that they are going to catch. If that's not luck then what is?

there are ways to give yourself statistical advantages, knowing what spawns where, the point values on things, how often things spawn and how easy things are caught.  And in some cases, the quickest route between things.  

Edited by Munya

and how is all this relevant again ?

oh right ' comp players can join alot of tourneys without having to pay anything to win it'.

i think its pretty obvious comp players put in the most into winning said prizes.

also did you just say catching events are not all luck?

this is going nowhere.

EDIT: Also yagami, I never said to do away with them completely, i just said with 4 or 5 or whatever the fuck ou tier tournaments there are right now, they shouldn't be handed out every week.

What other prizes would compel, well -- attractive tournaments? The prominence of tournaments at this point is due to the competitive state of the metagame requiring a lot of testing. Usually shinies/RP are the standard form of prizes; rare, coveted shinies are usually also collected from events apart from sheer luck, and, well, like you said, are another aspect of the game apart from competitive battling. Competitive battling for shinies isn't a bad thing; at the end of the day, staff prizes usually adhere to what the community might want about from achievement and glory; who knows if a yen prize/rare cosmetic/items for breeding at this current state. As things settle down, the community would turn to shinies as a primary desirable prize anyways.

Preparation on hunting is something....everyone can do in equality, unlike competitive battling. It's sheer luck that aside, since there's no real difference in how players find Chanseys in different spawn rates or anything like that. 

What's wrong with giving yourself an advantage in an event? 

Edited by YagamiNoir

Anyways though, serious suggestion.  Prize money, or items, as well as a gift shiny.

Why a gift shiny?  Then you don't have to worry about the tier of a shiny for the reward as much.  Potentially better shiny prize without worrying about the value of them.

Prizes will finally be able to be consistent.

Edited by Munya

Anyways though, serious suggestion.  Prize money, or items, as well as a gift shiny.

Why a gift shiny?  Then you don't have to worry about the tier of a shiny for the reward as much.  Potentially better shiny prize without worrying about the value of them.

Prizes will finally be able to be consistent.

Why shouldn't someone who puts their time (which = money) into a tournament be able to do whatever they want with their prize? Some people who win tourneys love having the "trophy" to show off their success, and some like to sell it for cash and resources. Some people, on the other hand, like to keep their shinies at prizes for a while, and then sell them after a while. Guess what? There's nothing wrong with any of this. The market will be just fine

Edited by Eggplant
Removed irrelevant content

Yes, and with the given suggestion they would have both(money or items that they can trade with, and the shiny they could show off), as well as consistent tournament prizes which has been complained about forever.

Edited by Munya

I think it was J that mentioned the video contest briefly in this thread and it got me thinking...

Now that you guys have Hoenn I think it's time for another video contest! I a lot has changed since the last one. Someone probe Squirtle on it. :)

Not saying anything about this as I liked these videos, but what prize would you suggest? (This isn't referring to the prior topic)

The first one gave a Shiny Espeon (Skazord)

The next one was a Shiny Lapras (BrutalGG)

Not saying anything about this as I liked these videos, but what prize would you suggest? (This isn't referring to the prior topic)

They were actually prizes decided by the winner, well, the espeon was idk about the lapras.   I know that is exactly what you said, thats what it gave, but it wasn't really the actual prize as it was listed(a pokemon of your choice turned into a shiny).

Edited by Munya

They were actually prizes decided by the winner, well, the espeon was idk about the lapras.   I know that is exactly what you said, thats what it gave, but it wasn't really the actual prize as it was listed(a pokemon of your choice turned into a shiny).

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/312-pokemmo-video-contest/

actually both 1st, 2nd and 3rd could turn a pokemon they own into shiny and #1 also got 100$ cash...

Probably the same as always, changing one of their Pokemon plus money... really whatever they think though. I think people appreciate having their videos used at least and if there is some sort of prize then they'd be happy to do it. It's really a great contest. 

Probably the same as always, changing one of their Pokemon plus money... really whatever they think though. I think people appreciate having their videos used at least and if there is some sort of prize then they'd be happy to do it. It's really a great contest. 

Definitely. I was watching the advertisement the other day on the main page and I giggled how far we've come since then. Time for another one indeed!

[spoiler] Shiny Godbro... it's time [/spoiler]

Also at Munya, I'm still not sure why you've decided to challenge the devs and mods to take from the competitive community one of the most important aspects of competitive play, and that's a Shiny Prize. 

Shiny pokemon in general are ridiculously hard to obtain. There are players who have spent 2000+ hours in this game who haven't even seen a shiny. Having a Shiny Prize gives players like that a chance to obtain one outside of absolute luck. Aside from that aspect, Shiny Prizes give a strong incentive for competitive players to keep playing this game. It's difficult to maintain a competitive meta with the current developmental progress and we have seen huge swings in the competitiveness of this game. There have been times where the meta has been absolutely broken and awful to play in, but competition and prizes kept us here. Players need incentive, it's simply human nature. Giving them something they can be proud of and show off, or sell for resources is crucial. Cutting that off and only offering resources (for example yen, items, etc) will be harmful as players will begin to see competitive play as a cyclical system that only awards players with further grinding. 

Shiny Prizes for Standard Officials, and even some difficult gimmicks, are above and beyond an amazing implementation for the competitive scene.

It creates a link between competitive players, shiny traders, and even the everyday just-for-fun player. For example, competitive player wins a Shiny Heracross. Shiny traders seek out competitive player in hopes of trading for said shiny. Competitive player has option of keeping his trophy or trading it for valuable resources (yen). If he declines, competitive player can keep the shiny and hold it. Having it as a follower sparks interest by everyday players. This can lead them deeper into the game and potentially hook them on the game by introducing them to competitive play or shiny trading, both of which are key aspects to prolonged play in this game.  

So Munya please. I don't think you are looking at all of the benefits that a Shiny Prize can offer to this game in general. I hope you step down from your goals of removing shiny prizes from most competitive events. 

there are ways to give yourself statistical advantages, knowing what spawns where, the point values on things, how often things spawn and how easy things are caught.  And in some cases, the quickest route between things.  

literally everybody knows those things or googles them 15 minutes before the tourney -_-

its ALL luck

@JJ, It is not my goal, I have stated a few times that my goal was not to have them removed, but limited.  But since people want shiny prizes in every single tournament ever(which 4 of 5 currently listen OU tournaments have, and I am not arguing to have removed), I offered an alternative suggestion where you get a shiny untradeable pokemon, as well as items of value(money, items, whatever).   You end up with the best of both worlds.

literally everybody knows those things or googles them 15 minutes before the tourney -_-

its ALL luck

With the safari hunt its pretty much that way now yeah(though apparently not, since everybody thinks chansey is the auto win ticket), but what about things like the team scavenger hunt, you have no idea how many hours of work went into planning for that.

Read through the last couple pages.

Thought Munya was trolling but it's come to my attention he's actually serious.

The idea of a gift shiny is, imo, ridiculous.

Some of us have put hundreds of hours into working on our comps, specifically for playing in these officials.

I personally sell all my prizes.

The money I spent making things for gimmicks and standards alike was hardly ever cover by the cost of the shiny(Gotta stop winning tranz officials), but it definitely helped.

I also find it annoying the players trying to remove shinys from comp-player's wins, do not have the slightest bit of comp knowledge in them but I digress, JJ said it best a few posts up.

If you found it ridiculous, you could release it then, and just keep the prize of value.

You don't need a trade-able shiny for every single tournament.

A consistent value, you won't have your vulpix in one tourney being worth however many tens of millions and a caterpie in the next., they would be able to keep things even, that isn't entirely dependent on a changing market.

Edited by Munya

What exactly do you mean?

Sec, I'v posted the idea like 3-4 times. BEAR with me while I go find it again.

Edit; my detailed post was on eternal I guess.

Buttt

Create a masters series for people who are apart of the creative media section. Or host more competitions for that area of the forums.
Ex;
Heimann master of sigs
Archi master of banners
Dev master of videos
Etc etc

Have weekly competitions that give points, after x weeks have the top people compete for a masters title in the thing that they do.
Staff or the players can vote on what each weeks theme could be.

Creative media gets like 0 love.

Edited by Heimann

I agree with munya on the shiny prize thing. Having some tournies have a shiny prize is fine but there is no reason why some tournies cant have lesser prizes.

One benefit i can think of that could come from this is that veteran players like kingbowser and frags might not put much effort into attending these thus giving newer players sort of a more even playing field to get some practice in. I know you can only become the best if you beat thee best but it wouldnt be a bad start for newbs if we had tournies geard more towards them, 

I agree with munya on the shiny prize thing. Having some tournies have a shiny prize is fine but there is no reason why some tournies cant have lesser prizes.

One benefit i can think of that could come from this is that veteran players like kingbowser and frags might not put much effort into attending these thus giving newer players sort of a more even playing field to get some practice in. I know you can only become the best if you beat thee best but it wouldnt be a bad start for newbs if we had tournies geard more towards them, 

Wait, what? Making competitive tournaments LESS competitive seems like exactly the oppose you'd want for a competitive tournament.

how about a noob section kinda with lesser prizes (veteran players may still join but you know)