Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

10x Vitamins of your choice would be sweet. They seem like a luxury now. Storyline TM's, too (Psychic, EQ, ect). I think the scrub prizes that would have been offensive before may have a better reception now (for second place anyway). I miss being rich, I can't be the only one. :)

We are unsure whether it would be a good idea to directly give out in-game currency, especially in the newer days of its release. So for now, it most likely will not happen.

On the topic of prizes, are there any items that would be liked as a second place prize? (IE: Vitamins, PP Maxes, along those lines.)

Berries. Lots of berries.

what about comp pokes as prize? for ivs say 25 in 5 stats and a 31 in a single stat and a matching nature? or nah?

i really dont like shiny pokes

they've said it before that they're not going to give out prizes that give people advantage over others.

pp up is the most valuable item atm. you guys took away all the large stores of it and it can only be gotten through alters and mysterbox(lol). i have had and seen battles where 1 pp up would have made the difference in who won. 10 would be a good second prize(better then some shinys).

if shiny pokes are givin as prizes, having good egg moves would be awesome. like wooper with recover/curse or hera with megahorn ect...... nothing new or anything you cant breed on just standard stuff thats normally bred on.

I would not give those out, this is because Shinys with egg moves are extremely valuable, in my personal opinion, and I would hate to see them lose the value, and that is what would happen if they started becoming regular Event prizes.

I would not give those out, this is because Shinys with egg moves are extremely valuable, in my personal opinion, and I would hate to see them lose the value, and that is what would happen if they started becoming regular Event prizes.

they don't drastically increase Price. they usually add 50-100% value. lately most of the prizes are very low value ones and this would give them a small boost without drastically altering the market. you guys very rarely give out the same shinys as well so it would only be 1 or 2 of any species and only what? 10 or so a month? due to people going rip their would only be a few dozen in the market at any one time. which wouldn't be a big difference.

they don't drastically increase Price. they usually add 50-100% value. lately most of the prizes are very low value ones and this would give them a small boost without drastically altering the market. you guys very rarely give out the same shinys as well so it would only be 1 or 2 of any species and only what? 10 or so a month? due to people going rip their would only be a few dozen in the market at any one time. which wouldn't be a big difference.

I don't think that's very likely to happen for a few different reasons. 

In regards to PP Ups 10 seems a bit much. Instead, how about 2/3 PP Max? What are the positives/negatives of receiving PP Max instead?

In regards to PP Ups 10 seems a bit much. Instead, how about 2/3 PP Max? What are the positives/negatives of receiving PP Max instead?

since we are talking about PP Max, i'm still waiting for my 10 PP Max

OT:

If someone wants to up the PP of one move but not max them having the PP Ups would allow him to up the PP of more moves ( i still prefer the PP Max tho )

Art contest

***Maybe give a month plus gap between the end of the current art contest and the next one you all host, give a lot of notice and a long entry time** ;p 

Give a depiction of a fusion Pokemon, much like these found in this Imgur Album.  The majority of people find these interesting to look at, and I'd enjoy seeing the artists in this community have their take on them. 

Cons: The host will have to dedicate some time to cross checking for plagiarism as there are a ton of artists creating these. Basically the host will probably need to reverse google image search each entry, but it's never been a big problem before. Another con could be the fact that it may be difficult to create a truly unique representation of a fusion as there are so many ideas and concepts out there already.

Pros: Easy event ;p, and I get to look at some drawings, which I enjoy \o/ 

Art contest

***Maybe give a month plus gap between the end of the current art contest and the next one you all host, give a lot of notice and a long entry time** ;p 

Give a depiction of a fusion Pokemon, much like these found in this Imgur Album.  The majority of people find these interesting to look at, and I'd enjoy seeing the artists in this community have their take on them. 

Cons: The host will have to dedicate some time to cross checking for plagiarism as there are a ton of artists creating these. Basically the host will probably need to reverse google image search each entry, but it's never been a big problem before. Another con could be the fact that it may be difficult to create a truly unique representation of a fusion as there are so many ideas and concepts out there already.

Pros: Easy event ;p, and I get to look at some drawings, which I enjoy \o/ 

Love this. 

I will see what I can possibly put together. ;)

I'll have to say, the writing events are great but I feel as if they're too pokémon based. Yeah, it's a Pokémon forum but it's nice to have some variety. Eventhough there's only been two writing events I think there'll be more pokémon based writing events. Something like an open category would be nice. For example, 1000 word limit story about anything.

Thanks. :3

The teamspeak room where staff members are sitting during tournaments usually consists of people typing (hardly any voicing), or just sitting there. They're just making sure the refs are running the correct matches, making decisions on DQ's, etc. Also most of the staff aren't confident in commentating, they don't really have anything to say regarding the matches they are running. Streaming commentary was only interesting, imo, when we had proper guests to commentate, when it was just staff we'd just be joking around and not saying anything relatively on topic. If there was just an audio room then you'd basically have nothing going on, the stream was somewhat interesting because there was music and you could watch the matches, even when the commentary was abysmal. 

I can't see this happening with the current staff at all. I could be mistaken, and things may change, but this is just my thoughts on the matter. 

The teamspeak room where staff members are sitting during tournaments usually consists of people typing (hardly any voicing), or just sitting there. They're just making sure the refs are running the correct matches, making decisions on DQ's, etc. Also most of the staff aren't confident in commentating, they don't really have anything to say regarding the matches they are running. Streaming
commentary was only interesting, imo, when we had proper guests to commentate, when it was just staff we'd just be joking around and not saying anything relatively on topic. If there was just an audio room then you'd basically have nothing going on, the stream was somewhat interesting because there was music and you could watch the matches, even when the commentary was abysmal. 

I can't see this happening with the current staff at all. I could be mistaken, and things may change, but this is just my thoughts on the matter. 

Then let's have guests commentate. (Although, I suppose at that point, there's no reason the community couldn't do something like this unofficially, but I do think having staff support would be a positive thing for something like this)

Then let's have guests commentate. (Although, I suppose at that point, there's no reason the community couldn't do something like this unofficially, but I do think having staff support would be a positive thing for something like this)

Yeah an unofficial thing would be interesting of course, if there are people willing in the community. Staff backing it could be good but doesn't really give any added benefit as far as I can see. 

could there maybe possibly be another pika cup now that we got breeding? would be interesting what will see the light of day this time, also maybe ban certain pokes in it so they wouldnt rule the meta.

EDIT: is thoth still a staff member? if so, thoth get on it!

I'm looking to do a Kanto vs. Johto tournament. Basically the contenders and reserves would be assigned a region on which they base their team.

Example:

Player A: Kanto

Player B: Johto

Player A would select from a pool of Pokemon assigned to Kanto and a middle ground and Player B would pick from a list of Pokemon assigned to Johto and the middle ground.

The middle ground's sole purpose would be to balance the relative strength and utility of both sides such that one side does not have too much of an advantage.

I'm looking to do a Kanto vs. Johto tournament. Basically the contenders and reserves would be assigned a region on which they base their team.

Example:

Player A would select from a pool of Pokemon assigned to Kanto and a middle ground and Player B would pick from a list of Pokemon assigned to Johto and the middle ground.

The middle ground's sole purpose would be to balance the relative strength and utility of both sides such that one side does not have too much of an advantage.

Could be interesting, but a couple of questions.

1. Who would determine the 'middle ground' pokemon, and how would they do so?

2. Would there be any community input/discussion/feedback that would affect the middle ground pokemon, ie if you choose some and senile comes in with a brilliant reason for you to include something or to exclude something would you listen?

3. Would someone be permanently assigned to Kanto/Johto, or would it vary by round?

4. Why not just make winner bracket Kanto, loser bracket Johto (or something)

5. At this point I don't think it would be a very good idea to do this, seems a little too gimmicky and would probably require a large enough 'middle ground' group pokemon that the entire point would be more or less moot.  

At the very least I think some sort of list should be made public and be debated on before this tournament goes forward, and this tournament should not have a really cool prize.

Could be interesting, but a couple of questions.

1. Who would determine the 'middle ground' pokemon, and how would they do so?

2. Would there be any community input/discussion/feedback that would affect the middle ground pokemon, ie if you choose some and senile comes in with a brilliant reason for you to include something or to exclude something would you listen?

3. Would someone be permanently assigned to Kanto/Johto, or would it vary by round?

4. Why not just make winner bracket Kanto, loser bracket Johto (or something)

5. At this point I don't think it would be a very good idea to do this, seems a little too gimmicky and would probably require a large enough 'middle ground' group pokemon that the entire point would be more or less moot.  

At the very least I think some sort of list should be made public and be debated on before this tournament goes forward, and this tournament should not have a really cool prize.

1) I've been working on that since yesterday.

2) Yes, I'm currently consulting comp players as to what should be middle ground to make it as balanced as possible. Senile was also consulted.

3) Yes. To me it seems like an unnecessary hassle to make players have a minimum of two teams (one for each region) in order to shift the regions each round.

4) That is a good idea. I may consider that as a possibility.

If players wish for the list in its current state to be made public I can post it in Competition Alley for discussion.

Example:

I agree with a lot of statements Dannnno has made regarding this event. I understand this is meant to be a gimmick/fun but in my opinion (no need to take me too seriously) is that staff should focus on getting the 4 monthlies out, and trying for a team tournament during this month, not pushing out gimmicks. From the looks of the staff roster it may be difficult even doing that, unless requirements have changed from what I know (beyond there being no need for posters - SIGH - anymore). 

The idea is kind of neat, I do especially like Dannnno's Double Elimination spin on it (although with OU that would take a long time), but none the less this may not be the optimal time for it. You would know better than I though since I am not staff. 

EDIT note: most competitive players will probably be able to create a "Kanto" and "Johto" team with little to no preparation. 

1) I've been working on that since yesterday.

2) Yes, I'm currently consulting comp players as to what should be middle ground to make it as balanced as possible. Senile was also consulted.

3) Yes. To me it seems like an unnecessary hassle to make players have a minimum of two teams (one for each region) in order to shift the regions each round.

4) That is a good idea. I may consider that as a possibility.

If players wish for the list in its current state to be made public I can post it in Competition Alley for discussion.

Well I think you're approaching it the right way at least (the Senile comment was mostly joking, as he is generally the loudest whenever he sees something wrong with tier lists n stuff).  Making the list public would probably be a good idea.

Also, how do Hoenn pokemon fit in? Would those be in the middle ground, and none from kanto/johto would be in the middle ground?  Also, would there be a minimum requirement for how many must be from the region specific list?