Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

I think official tourneys should either have 2 registration times or constantly shift the registration days and times from tourney to tourney.

Ex: Tourney 1 Week 1 Saturday at 5 PM. Registration is Thursday at 7PM
Tourney 2 Week 2 Saturday at 5 PM. Registration is Wednesday at 6PM

With Unix time u can fix up the reserves list pretty well as shown in Sayounaras tourney. Can even make a case for the fastest 32 sign ups spread over 2 registrations; or just do 16 per registration period.

Because Patrick stupidly closed my thread, which had no real reason to be closed at all other than the staff getting butthurt when they were being told something they didnt like. Here is my proposal on qualifying tournaments, which I was about to post in my thread on qualifying tournaments.

(here it is for those out the loop, https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/18958-qualifying-tournaments-for-official-tournies/)

Revamp the whole system, tournaments are currently being run by GMs, CMs etc. You already have GMs and CMs so why not take it a step further and have EMs (tournament moderators or event moderators). When tournaments go through the approval process check the availability of EMs and assign available ones to events, the EMs will ref the matches/events and ensure that everything goes smoothly (much like what happens now but with actual event staff).

With EMs tournaments can be expanded to have qualifiers, there can be more official events. You can hire European EMs to run European based events, one of the main complaints of EU players is that they have to be up at ridiculous hours to be able to play competitively, with more staff there can be more events tailored for those outside the Americas. Subsequently expanding the playerbase. EMs can take the weight of hosting every event away from GMs/CMs, basically a staff base purely dedicated to events and tournaments.

Its not a secret that the current event system sucks, with more staff there can be bigger tournaments, more of them and accessibility for more players to enjoy the competitive side of PokeMMO

[quote name='DoctorPBC' timestamp='1366086975' post='288230']
Because Patrick stupidly closed my thread, which had no real reason to be closed at all other than the staff getting butthurt when they were being told something they didnt like.[/quote]

Actually, it was closed because the discussion belonged in this thread.

[quote name='DoctorPBC' timestamp='1366086975' post='288230']Here is my proposal on qualifying tournaments, which I was about to post in my thread on qualifying tournaments.

(here it is for those out the loop, [url="https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/18958-qualifying-tournaments-for-official-tournies/"]https://forums.pokem...icial-tournies/[/url])

Revamp the whole system, tournaments are currently being run by GMs, CMs etc. You already have GMs and CMs so why not take it a step further and have EMs (tournament moderators or event moderators). When tournaments go through the approval process check the availability of EMs and assign available ones to events, the EMs will ref the matches/events and ensure that everything goes smoothly (much like what happens now but with actual event staff).

With EMs tournaments can be expanded to have qualifiers, there can be more official events. You can hire European EMs to run European based events, one of the main complaints of EU players is that they have to be up at ridiculous hours to be able to play competitively, with more staff there can be more events tailored for those outside the Americas. Subsequently expanding the playerbase. EMs can take the weight of hosting every event away from GMs/CMs, basically a staff base purely dedicated to events and tournaments.[/quote]

This won't be happening. We don't need dedicated "Event Staff" and there will be in-game PvP/tournament mechanisms eventually anyway.

sigh, I feel like you are shooting this all down because you dont want to do it. There is no reason not to do it because as seen in the other thread you guys are clearly overwhelmed with hosting an event larger than 32 people lol, you clearly do need changes but you seem to think otherwise... what makes you say that.

I just dont get it.

Also while im here can I suggest a tournament/battle system similar to Pokemon Online (the battle simulator), clauses are standard across battles and can be disabled/enabled in a pre-battle window. It will allow everyone to do their battles simultaneously, drastically reducing tournament length. It might even allow for some 6v6 tournaments. Go check it out, its hard to explain

[quote name='DoctorPBC' timestamp='1366090215' post='288313']
Also while im here can I suggest a tournament/battle system similar to Pokemon Online (the battle simulator), clauses are standard across battles and can be disabled/enabled in a pre-battle window. It will allow everyone to do their battles simultaneously, drastically reducing tournament length. It might even allow for some 6v6 tournaments. Go check it out, its hard to explain
[/quote]
The difference between Pokemon Online and PokeMMO tournaments is that PO's tournament battles are automated to publically announce the results of a tournament battle after it's ended, PokeMMO's are not. If you want to ignore the fact that the tournament holders will probally get irritated with pulling logs of every battle of every round of every tournament, official tournaments are often livestreamed by Plizard. If you want to commentate over 32 battles on 1 screen at the same time live, good luck.

[quote name='iSmashbro' timestamp='1366091002' post='288342']
The difference between Pokemon Online and PokeMMO tournaments is that PO's tournament battles are automated to publically announce the results of a tournament battle after it's ended, PokeMMO's are not. If you want to ignore the fact that the tournament holders will probally get irritated with pulling logs of every battle of every round of every tournament, official tournaments are often livestreamed by Plizard. If you want to commentate over 32 battles on 1 screen at the same time live, good luck.
[/quote]

they dont have to pull logs, just have the entire thing run by an automatic bot, it prevents players from using illegal pokemon, illegal items etc, when one player wins they advance automatically. It just needs to be scripted, which may be easier said then done but im sure it can be done.

As for streaming it might just have to be 1 battle per round, or reserve it for finals perhaps. The livestream commentary always dies off after round 1 anyways

[quote name='DoctorPBC' timestamp='1366091306' post='288350']
they dont have to pull logs, just have the entire thing run by an automatic bot, it prevents players from using illegal pokemon, illegal items etc, when one player wins they advance automatically. It just needs to be scripted, which may be easier said then done but im sure it can be done.

As for streaming it might just have to be 1 battle per round, or reserve it for finals perhaps. The livestream commentary always dies off after round 1 anyways
[/quote]

You have to understand, the game is still in alpha. Automated tournaments are not our primary concern right now, first we want to get all the battle mechanics working correctly. Features that you have stated have every possibility to be added in the future (and I want them as well.) I understand the need for a better system when it comes to tournaments, but we do not have the staff or features required to run extreme large scale events right now.

When it comes to signing up for these rather small 32 man tournaments, we are aware the current system isn't exactly the best, and I've brought up a couple different ways to remedy this. Such as signing up for the tournament on challonge itself, or taking all the sign ups withing 10 or so minutes of registration opening and randomly generating 32 names from a list of those that signed up (this will get rid of the slow internet issue, although it is slightly unfair.)

The tournament system will evolve as the game does, we will try to work out the system and make it work as best as possible, and don't think we aren't listening. I am listening to everything you have to say.

[quote name='Patrick' timestamp='1366088897' post='288277']
We don't need dedicated "Event Staff"
[/quote]

[quote name='Plizard' timestamp='1366092099' post='288362']
but we do not have the staff or features required to run extreme large scale events right now.
[/quote]

/thread

Anyways im off for the night, the suggestions that you responded to Pliz were long term suggestions, I know how hard it is to script that kind of stuff. Which is why I suggested the event staff... but that got shot down lol.

Glad to see suggestions are being listened to, now to see some of them implemented. Thanks and bye

[quote name='DoctorPBC' timestamp='1366090215' post='288313']
There is no reason not to do it because as seen in the other thread you guys are clearly overwhelmed with hosting an event larger than 32 people lol, you clearly do need changes but you seem to think otherwise... what makes you say that.
[/quote]
Incorrect. We stopped hosting 64 man tournaments momentarily because of the poor attendance at the last one.

We do not need special "event staff" as our current staff handles events more than adequately.

[quote name='DoctorPBC' timestamp='1366092607' post='288370']
/thread[/quote]

Not really. You were suggesting allocating moderators to event organisation, and I said that it's not practical or required.

Unless you mean to suggest a great extension to our current staff, specifically for running events? (Very unlikely.)

[u][b]Tournament "Satellites"[/b][/u]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Anyone familiar with the world of online poker will probably already have a vague idea of what my suggestion is, but for the uninitiated, a "satellite" in poker terminology refers to a small tournament where the prize on offer is free entry into a larger, more expensive tournament that would normally be reserved exclusively for rich/top players.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This could work in pokemmo as a way of finally sorting out the tournament registration system. Charge a fee to buy entry directly into the tournament, but leave some places free for the winners of a few smaller, free to enter tournaments. This gives people a few options. The more competitive players should easily be able to afford the entry fee to the main tournament, and those that can't afford it/would rather not risk a high value item don't feel excluded because they get to participate in the satellites, more than likely against players who better match their skill level.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I don't know how feasible this could be, there would be a lot of time and staff constraints for a start, but just thought it might be worth throwing it out there. [/font][/color]

[quote name='CipherWeston' timestamp='1366585408' post='299986']
I know breeding is not implemented yet, but when it is, we should have a Baby Tournament.

Much like this tournament right now dealing with just Eevees, it should be a tournament based just on baby Pokemon. I say level 15 or 20 for the match.
[/quote]
I've been anticipating this for months, but I'm expecting it to be level 5 with amnesia braces selling like a new video game console
[spoiler]#profit[spoiler]Plus I already bought the amnesia brace[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[quote name='CipherWeston' timestamp='1366585408' post='299986']
I know breeding is not implemented yet, but when it is, we should have a Baby Tournament.

Much like this tournament right now dealing with just Eevees, it should be a tournament based just on baby Pokemon. I say level 15 or 20 for the match.
[/quote]

I wanna see straight up little cup lvl 5 tournies. Amnesia brace sales will skyrocket and my ev training business might finally take off

[quote name='Dannnno' timestamp='1366585713' post='299994']
I wanna see straight up little cup lvl 5 tournies. Amnesia brace sales will skyrocket and my ev training business might finally take off
[/quote]
Prepare for Scyther and Chansey out the ass

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]What I would like to suggest is some form of a Tournament Etiquette with a purpose of creating a more organised, challenging and in a way motivating atmosphere for those participating and spectating. I believe this is something that can be done at least for the "Official" Tournaments that take place. I would like to propose an idea of separating the "arena" from the "stands".[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]My idea is the following: In the last 2 days 2 "Official" Tournaments took place. Both were well conducted and organised, credit to the in-game staff, but what I found staggering is the CHAOTIC battlefield that was in the centre of both of those tournaments. I mean really? In both Original Posts of both Tournaments' threads it clearly showed where people that are spectating should stand and where should the competitors be. Yet there were unstoppable "pitch invasions" as people were running and cycling around the arena, while other's were battling. Not that I find it incredibly disturbing or annoying (as I mainly watch the Plizard's steams instead of spectating myself), but I feel that separation of the competitors from the spectators would make the "Official" Tournaments seem more official and civilised. Evermore, I am pretty sure with only competitors moving on the screen many people's frame rates will seem more pleasing. Likewise, the amount of lag should go down and there will be no need to switch channels.[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]First of all, Ill say that I'm not entirely sure how this is going to go down, but I suppose the referees and organisers of such events could first bring all the competitors into one place and then block the entrance by a Snorlax or multiple Snorlax, as done in the Trainer Tower, making the spectators spectate from at least some reasonable distance. Alternatively, there could be separate entrances for the spectators and competitors with a staff member ticking off names as they come in, thus making it simpler for the competitors to check in and not make them look through momentarily updating chat searching for their name . The violators can be /unstuck or kicked from the game-session, making them log-in again and spawn in the PC.[/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I feel like this would create a distinguishable margin between the spectators and competitors, making competitions (at least) seem more civilised.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Personally, I have always envied the idea of a Pokemon battle, taking place on the arena where the only person that is present besides the referee and myself is the opponent and not 100s of wild spectators.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Finally, I feel that if people have to register for tournaments in the first 20 seconds after the beginning of registration to actually get in, the staff could at least separate those "special ones" from the rest, letting everyone enjoy a truly competitive atmosphere.[/font][/color]

It depends on the location the host has picked for the event. We normally do try to create separate areas for competitors and spectators however it often comes down to how well the crowd wants to behave.

We won't be using Snorlax to block off an area and we won't be making separate entrances.

[quote name='Strychnine' timestamp='1366610745' post='300456']
It depends on the location the host has picked for the event. We normally do try to create separate areas for competitors and spectators however it often comes down to how well the crowd wants to behave.

We won't be using Snorlax to block off an area and we won't be making separate entrances.
[/quote]
Having a hard time imagining the authorities allowing "the crowd" to behave as well as they want to in real life, but I guess this doesn't apply here.
Thanks for listening anyways.

[quote name='romuldo' timestamp='1366614966' post='300519']
Having a hard time imagining the authorities allowing "the crowd" to behave as well as they want to in real life, but I guess this doesn't apply here.
Thanks for listening anyways.
[/quote]
As I said, in every event that I have been a part of we actively separated the crowd and the competitors.

why don't we have a tourney where your only allowed to use one pokemon type eg: ground, water, ect.

you could rotate your type between rounds.

in round 1 have snorlax, blissey, ursaring and smeargle. round 2 have starmie, slowbro, kingdra, quagsire.

i would love to see this as a tourney, and it would require a lot of strategy to pull of a win using just one type.

@Patrick
Countering every argument with "eventually" just doesn't work. Yes it's nice that "eventually" we'll see this, but this is NOW and we got no idea how long it takes until "eventually" arrives. More and more people are complaining that something has to change, yet you're just sticking to "well one day you'll see a change, just you wait!". There needs to be a solution between now and eventually that can be quickly implemented and can function as a placeholder until eventually arrives or by the time we finally see "eventually" there won't be a need for it anymore since too many people are already gone.

@Kizhaz
No, it would just take having pokemon with the right hidden powers to provide coverage to the types that usually don't have it. Not to mention the Eevee showdown proved that fights with a limited pool off pokemon are incredibly boring (imo).

[quote name='Freakiie' timestamp='1366624606' post='300607']
@Kizhaz
No, it would just take having pokemon with the right hidden powers to provide coverage to the types that usually don't have it. Not to mention the Eevee showdown proved that fights with a limited pool off pokemon are incredibly boring (imo).
[/quote]

yes except this wouldn't be limited. you'll still see your snorlax's, starmies, exeggutors, ect. just not in the same team.
+ i doubt people will spend that much time getting 6000 GC coins just to get the hidden power, that may or may not be what they want, for a single tourney.