Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

I wish we had more gimmick PVP events like we used to. Monotype, 1v1, Tag Teams, Little Cup, Triples, etc. Those were fun and they spice things up.

edit: Triples and Little Cup can be supported through automated tournaments I believe, but other formats are not, so it would also be nice they were added as options.

Edited by gbwead
1 hour ago, gbwead said:

I wish we had more gimmick PVP events like we used to. Monotype, 1v1, Tag Teams, Little Cup, Triples, etc. Those were fun and they spice things up.

edit: Triples and Little Cup can be supported through automated tournaments I believe, but other formats are not, so it would also be nice they were added as options.

Yea this !

I remember when I joined the game, there used to be plenty of these random ass tournaments in Sylphe Co and it was a good attraction for all of the community (to either watch or play into). I think most were player hosted as they are now, but I do remember of some official ones (and Hall of Fame agrees as I do see official tag tournaments winners there)

Also about the seasonals, either restrict who can enter them more, or rebuild the format. The rewards are REALLY nice in these, so thanks for that, but the rest doesn't seem to be really working, most of the time they don't attract the best players so I'm guessing there's a reason, maybe lack of hype because they are automated ?

The interval between the events is really long (8 months from chinese new year to Halloween), and i believe the main factor is because there's not a good theme for anything at all. Well, this year we have the Olympics that start on July 23rd in Tokyo . I believe thats a nice theme for a different event in a month where we wouldn't have anything new.

Can we get clear rules about what is punishable behavior in Team Tournaments now? I get that some of the rules were implemented to avoid that case where teams would just jump spots between tiers and not reveal who they are playing even when the 10 minute mark has been long gone. But the wording about this is currently just way too vague to even understand what exactly is acceptable behavior and what is not.

5. Penalties

Penalties will work like the general warning giving to a team for unsportsman like behavior or trying to ruin the fun for other players. An example of this would be a match-fixing or standing on the spot of fighting players to make it harder to see who they are playing against. 

The matchfixing part is self-explanatory, but at least in my own experience in Team Tournaments sometimes it may difficult to decide who to play in a certain round until the very last second. Having multiple players lined up on the same spot is not necessarily malicious intent by any means, there might still be constant discussion about which tier a certain player is going to play. Therefor, I think it needs to be communicated clearly when this becomes a punishable behavior. Is it that exactly at the 10 minute mark if there is two players on the same team lined up on the same spot, it results in a penalty? Or is it that switching players at any point after a round is called is considered unsportsmanlike? If not, is it allowed to swap a player at the last second even when the 10 minute mark is up, especially if the opposing player has not even made a single duel request yet (so there is no delay in this regard)?

Furthermore, the 10 minute line up time is incredibly difficult to follow precisely. It would require a player in the team to constantly read the normal chat and set up a stopwatch to figure out when exactly is the 10 minute mark up. For many teams this isn't feasible, and it isn't fun by any means to anyone. I think this incredibly strict policy to Team Tournaments is kind of unnecessary but can at least there be some specific rules and scenarios when something becomes punishable? Currently people don't even know if they crossed this line. I refuse to believe that in March and April TT alone an unsportsmanlike rule was purposely broken for 31 times. I would just absolutely hate seeing a Team Tournament come down to some penalty procedure, doesn't matter which side of the issue I would be in.

6 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

Can we get clear rules about what is punishable behavior in Team Tournaments now? I get that some of the rules were implemented to avoid that case where teams would just jump spots between tiers and not reveal who they are playing even when the 10 minute mark has been long gone. But the wording about this is currently just way too vague to even understand what exactly is acceptable behavior and what is not.

Yes, that's my plan since I understand that it could not be clear enough.

Having multiple players lined up on the same spot is not necessarily malicious intent by any means, there might still be constant discussion about which tier a certain player is going to play. Therefor, I think it needs to be communicated clearly when this becomes a punishable behavior. Is it that exactly at the 10 minute mark if there is two players on the same team lined up on the same spot, it results in a penalty? Or is it that switching players at any point after a round is called is considered unsportsmanlike? If not, is it allowed to swap a player at the last second even when the 10 minute mark is up, especially if the opposing player has not even made a single duel request yet (so there is no delay in this regard)?

A player staying there with visibly no intend to play at all, who never plays at all, literally never is clear sign of the player who is here just to perhaps confuse the opponent. It also makes host believe that team might be ready when in fact it is not- just cause 3 players stands there and 2 are standing just to do it.

I never gave any punishment for that, but I also believe that there is difference between 1 player standing on spot, and 5 players running from one spot to another.

Furthermore, the 10 minute line up time is incredibly difficult to follow precisely. It would require a player in the team to constantly read the normal chat and set up a stopwatch to figure out when exactly is the 10 minute mark up.

Shout chat. We also send messages to captains when teams arevisibly not present at all, to ensure they will know they will have 3-4 minutes to show up. 

Leaving one person from team in area of TT isnt that hard, but also you can always whisper ref of your match if thats impossible.

In short, its fine if we are reached, its the problem when the time marks 15 minutes and team is nowhere to be found, only to be seen in PC discussing which pokemon play 5 minutes after given time. Teams managed to come on time for years now, I don't think it's that much problem. 

For many teams this isn't feasible, and it isn't fun by any means to anyone. I think this incredibly strict policy to Team Tournaments is kind of unnecessary but can at least there be some specific rules and scenarios when something becomes punishable? Currently people don't even know if they crossed this line. I refuse to believe that in March and April TT alone an unsportsmanlike rule was purposely broken for 31 times. I would just absolutely hate seeing a Team Tournament come down to some penalty procedure, doesn't matter which side of the issue I would be in.

During March and April TT the only person who costed points for their teams were players who decided to plan on alt, as described in the thread. I know where confusion comes from here

We ended TT late and I failed to notify (when I said: "there will be an update to the general standings sheet since I've rewarded 32 man TT, I don't see an issue with rewarding other TTs with qualification round from 2021 in the same way.
I will redo the sheet before the next TT will be announced. ") that points in "punishments' that are positive are not punishments, but extra points for extra rounds. 

Since it was the middle of the night for me, and TT just ended I haven't fixed that at the time, but going to do so and make the sheet more clear, just changing the punctation for all TTs that has happened, as if all of them happened with 32 teams instead of 16.

Teams got "yellow cards' (Those were not taken into account for next TT at all. ) just to make sure they hear that we want this place around 3 players clear, because for refs and some players who report it, sometimes players swarming the area of playing matches make the spectating of duels harder at first.

For refs is easier to see the name of the person who plays and to create lists of players.

______________________________________________________________________________________

In short, we will communicate it cleaner, but also we expect players to hear us when we call match or ask to stay away from a certain spot. Certainly the updated sheet will be done today, and the graphs for spectators will be sent again during next TT thread. 

Event Treasure Hunt

I will introduce you a new idea of events in this game
, the Treasure Hunt. in this event, random items which few is special, are spread out in specífic locals, where the players use itemfinder or similar others to find this spread treasures and itens, and the chance to encounter rare itens is about 20% (the chance is modified by the staff if they discord it)

it's my idea, i hope you, staffs and owners, liked this!

So I'm doing some suggestions of old tournaments which I think they were cool and wish they got revived, one of those are tag teams hosted by the Staff which had as a gift 1 shiny pokemon for each player of the tag (usually this tag teams were couples).

Here's some examples of tag teams hosted by the staff:

Wish one day those tours get back to MMO, never played any but I would love to try any of those, sadly I wasn't able to experience this kind of tournaments since I'm a 2019 player

Edited by JorgeFirebolt

Invitational tournaments were a really cool tournament system which sadly died by the time and got replaced by seasonal crowns which are just spamming in ranks to enter and try to win thanks to a random matchup in early rounds, and in late rounds try to counter your rival.

Invitational tournaments should come back, this kind of tournaments really required a lot of effort to win them. (By invitational I also mean old Seasonals)

First of all, i'll explain how Invitation Tournaments used to work like.

So first of all there was 8 qualifiers tournaments, were the top 2 players of any of those 8 qualifiers, had an invitation to the finale tournament with 16 spaces in total, and, usually, 3rd position on those tours had a place on reserves,  also, the bracket format of this tournament was a double elimination bracket, which means you need to lose twice to lose, which makes it hard to get RNGed twice or lose to a bad matchup twice if you were smart enough to do some fast builds or counter builds to your next rival.

When the 8 qualifiers were done, only 16 players would play the finale tournament, fighting the top 3 for one of 3 shinies usually, 1st position choosing the shiny which most likes between those 3, 2nd position same but with only 2 mons, and 3rd needs to stay with the last mon. Also this tournaments usually had as reward some RP like current seasonals. (This only in some seasonal cases, there

This kind of tournament had a duration of 6 weeks aproximetly.

Also, here are some examples of Invitationals / old seasonals tournaments:

I'd be cool to see again any of this tournaments in 2022, and if they think of reviving this kind of invitational / seasonal tournament style, i'd love to play it a lot, even if I get first rounded lol.

I want to mention that a common theme to your recent threads is to bring back Silph Co tournaments (non-automated tours). I get how the sign-up process for automated tournaments is efficient and how it is less of a headache for hosts, but these automated tours are nowhere near as fun, as a player or spectator, as compared to tours in Silph Co.

Hopefully staff will take your suggestions into consideration because I'm sure that the experience would consider bringing back a lot of the comp players (such as myself) who simply lurk on forums but don't log ingame.

I have to say I'm very disappointed. The Doubles seasonal tournament was apparently posted to the in-game calendar somewhere around 12 hours before the tournament. This is one of the only tournaments with decent payout to players and majority of the playerbase didn't even get a proper chance to get informed about this. I get that the update and everything must have caused some of the issue but you should at least let the players know that something this important is coming a bit sooner.

Seasonals are all automated, nobody on staff may have even known.  Like, the system sets those up, staff doesn't touch them.

That or it was a calendar error that nobody noticed, things happen when it comes to human input for that kind of thing as well.

6 minutes ago, Munya said:

Seasonals are all automated, nobody on staff may have even known.  Like, the system sets those up, staff doesn't touch them.

Could we not be told when they will be hosted before the season even starts? Makes sense to do it this way since people can plan ahead.. And tours can be scheduled around them

4 minutes ago, Munya said:
  • Signup schedule:
    • Last Saturday of PvP Season: Doubles
    • Last Sunday of PvP Season: OU
    • First Saturday of next PvP Season: NU
    • First Sunday of next PvP Season: UU
    • All PvP Season finale tournaments occur twice to accommodate timezones of players.

Thanks, where is this posted so I can know where to look ?

3 minutes ago, Munya said:
  • Signup schedule:
    • Last Saturday of PvP Season: Doubles
    • Last Sunday of PvP Season: OU
    • First Saturday of next PvP Season: NU
    • First Sunday of next PvP Season: UU
    • All PvP Season finale tournaments occur twice to accommodate timezones of players.

How do we know that it's the end of the PvP Season?

Orange's point was that it wasn't listed in the current tournaments like it should have, it only got listed in it like 10hours before it starts so people didn't check and didn't see there was a tourney happening.

Why didn't it get listed in the current tournaments if they are scheduled automatically?

11 minutes ago, Lvkee said:

Thanks, where is this posted so I can know where to look ?

9 minutes ago, Aerun said:

How do we know that it's the end of the PvP Season?

Orange's point was that it wasn't listed in the current tournaments like it should have, it only got listed in it like 10hours before it starts so people didn't check and didn't see there was a tourney happening.

Why didn't it get listed in the current tournaments if they are scheduled automatically?

idk things are buggy, there have been a lot of unforseen things come out of this update(such as the prizes rerolling for the current season).

4 minutes ago, Munya said:

Also seasons end at the end of every 3rd month so that would have been

March 31st

June 30th

September 30th

and December 31st

Which is also reason that we dont have team tournament on last saturday of the months that Munya mentioned. We usually squeeze it on friday / other saturday