Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

It doesn't happen often that Daryl says something that makes sense ( xdddddddddd ) but I must agree with him here.

We have not one but TWO tournaments cancelled. Big tournaments with big prizes. Why?

1. The tier. Ok, NU is super cool, I admit- it's probably the most fun tier currently aside from Metronomes. But it just lacks players. Did we have a 128 people bracket filled with NU players even once in the history of this game? I don't really remember.

2. Signup fee is just idiotic in this example. 5000 BP is I think 120k cold cash if traded between players, which consumes potentially- watch out- OVER 15 MILLIONS of cash from players, for a potential 2m prize for #1 and a shiny tynamo. Not only taking BP as fee is idiotic due to a horrible fee-to-prize ratio, but setting the BP as a signup fee overall, for NU... I could understand if the BP fee would be for OU- these players grind matchmaking and it's the only tier where matchmaking exists (maybe because you do not do absolutely anything for a long time to promote lower tiers- but that's another story) while a lot of NU players either would need to grind that BP due to lack of comps/ experience, w/e.

3. Time of the tournament. Let's be honest- this time was chosen to accomodate chinese players which avalanched the server recently. How many of them are actually comp players and not hardcore 24/7 grinders that do not give a shit about competitive play? How many of them will be online at that time? How many of them even play NU? This time of tournament is just plain bad.

4. I do not wish to discourage anyone from hosting events- especially @xKicco. Maybe my perspective of an active competitive player that knows the scene, players and metagames gives me an edge, but 2 tournaments got cancelled one after another because of the reasons I listed above and this is a fact.

And for god's sake, can we finally get some UU action, I think we had maybe 2 or 3 UU tournaments during entire September... :/ It's second most popular tier in PokeMMO and a lot of us just don't get to play our fav tier because there's nothing to do it.

Just as a heads up, if you have a tournament planned at 11.11, better discard it because your bracket won't fill anyway.

Edited by RysPicz
I embarris.
1 hour ago, RysPicz said:

We have not one but TWO tournaments cancelled. Big tournaments with big prizes. Why?

If by the other event you mean 'Crack a Shell', It was cancelled because it interfered with Team Tournament's time and I will probably be rescheduling it. It was an oversight from y part as an event coordinator as I didn't notice that I was (re-re)rescheduling it during its time.

1. The tier. Ok, NU is super cool, I admit- it's probably the most fun tier currently aside from Metronomes. But it just lacks players. Did we have a 128 people bracket filled with NU players even once in the history of this game? I don't really remember.

2. Signup fee is just idiotic in this example. 5000 BP is I think 120k cold cash if traded between players, which consumes potentially- watch out- OVER 15 MILLIONS of cash from players, for a potential 2m prize for #1 and a shiny tynamo. Not only taking BP as fee is idiotic due to a horrible fee-to-prize ratio, but setting the BP as a signup fee overall, for NU... I could understand if the BP fee would be for OU- these players grind matchmaking and it's the only tier where matchmaking exists (maybe because you do not do absolutely anything for a long time to promote lower tiers- but that's another story) while a lot of NU players either would need to grind that BP due to lack of comps/ experience, w/e.

We didn't even have many of them after the Unova update and I think it's might be one of the first second one (Akshit was first) and we're well aware that NU used to lack participation but we're getting more players to participate these days and usually a full 64/64 bracket so I thought there was no harm in trying a 128 seat NU tournament.

I agree that the BP sign fees was a bit too much which might have been a limitation for many of the players but the host just wanted to try it and wanted to check if it works. If it did, we might have been able to do a lot more and lot better events. Because it didn't, we'll learn from it and make our future accordingly.

Btw, the total prize pool 8Mil+ Shiny Tynamo.

tl;dr- Take this tournament as an experiment from the host. The shiny and the other things are not lost because of this as it can be hosted again.

Time of the tournament. Let's be honest- this time was chosen to accomodate chinese players which avalanched the server recently. How many of them are actually comp players and not hardcore 24/7 grinders that do not give a shit about competitive play? How many of them will be online at that time? How many of them even play NU? This time of tournament is just plain bad.

We have had many tournaments for this time of the day and most of them usually have a good amount of participation with many of them being full.

In the end, it up to the host to decide the time of the event.

4. I do not wish to discourage anyone from hosting events- especially @xKicco. Maybe my perspective of an active competitive player that knows the scene, players and metagames gives me an edge, but 2 tournaments got cancelled one after another because of the reasons I listed above

One of them was hosted by me and was cancelled due to the reason mentioned above.

Spoiler

Just as a heads up, if you have a tournament planned at 11.11, better discard it because your bracket won't fill anyway.

Sorry Bil but I am (re-re-re)rescheduling 'Crack a Shell' on 11/11 ;P

The problem with BP as a sign up requirement is that people typically only look out for tournaments on that day, heck, I used to find out about a tournament within the hour when people would tell me. At that point, you realise you've got no BP and you don't have the time to farm the BP. This is a problem because not only can you not play, but if this happens to a large portion of players like it probably did here, it's spoils it for everyone that did take time to get that BP.

This is why if I was to make such a requirement in tournaments I'd use cash as its the universal currency and also, it's tradable, you can borrow it from a friend. I found this to be more successful.

There's a lot to think about when making events(I made plenty of mistakes), but I always tried to put myself in the players shoes and think if I was playing, would I be there at that time? Would I have the requirements or the time to get them? Would I have happy to invest the time for the reward?

Edited by KaynineXL
59 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

>terrible shiny prize

>1k bp signup fee

>even worse time

@xKicco Do you learn from your mistakes?

Better cancel this tournament already.

(I don't really know why previous post in the linked thread was removed, you do not like criticism?)

I don't really think the shiny prize is the main problem here, its the terrible cash prizes. 1k BP per person (approximately 30k cash) multiplied by 128 is equal to 3.84 millions cash. The prizes however, seem just like the normal non-registration fee 128 man tournaments though.

7 hours ago, RysPicz said:

>terrible shiny prize

>1k bp signup fee

>even worse time

@xKicco Do you learn from your mistakes?

Better cancel this tournament already.

(I don't really know why previous post in the linked thread was removed, you do not like criticism?)

That's even without talking about his terrible tournament's names that only a minority understand.

Deleting criticism ? Noad is that you ?

DID yall forget about NU? Because all I see is mainly  ou and uu. Gotta show love everywhere 

Edit: no reason to not have an NU tourney. Great amount of prizes can be made. This xkicco idiot,however, using nus to make other tier tournaments is a problem. Lanturn druddigon, prime, Vanilluxe, Roselia, Donphan, Alraria etc. Lots of prizes but yall still can't make one.

Edited by xStarr

DISCLAIMER: I didnt take a part in last halloween so i will be comparing with the one 3years ago.

Things i dislike so far:

-I think everyone who do battle in PokeMMO knows that changes in stats sucks. If someone is lucky and hit jackpot with Ancientpower you can go and make yourself a tea.

Which makes me surprised you choose to make 3rd boss all about stat changes. Each time you hit him or he hits you, 3 of your stats are lowered. Each time you swap pokemon your stats are lowered, if you dont want to swap he will do it for you so you dont miss some extra time watching text. This makes him such a drag. Having in mind I will experience it few times more (because he is difficult, at least for me) Im not sure if I want to try and beat him.

Things I like so far:

-Damn, that Pumpkin King sprite. Very cool, im impressed

-You can challenge Pumpkin King only with special candy. It gives more incentives to look for kids and you have to prepare yourself instead of just rerunning encounter

-New particle feature. This system have potential for a new kind of reward for stuff like dungeons. I hope not all options will be locked in Gift Shop.

-Cool something is happening

I will probably edit this post because I still don't get "mysterious attributes" thing but I was so bored during 3rd pumpkin fight i decided I will write feedback while waiting for stats to change.

Edited by Toupi
Posting on behalf of my man Rendi. I sign under these words with my hands and feet

Doubles has historically been overlooked in favour of other tiers for a long time and now it's even worse than ever with there being almost no tournaments worth competing in for a very long time due to both lack of tournaments and very underwhelming prizes.

List of every shiny doubles prize in 2018:
Oct 22nd - Lilligant - Viable
Sep 2nd -  Amoonguss - TR mon with no 0 speed option
Aug 10th - Hariyama - TR mon with no 0 speed option
July 1st  - Conkeldurr - TR mon with no 0 speed option (usable but not optimal)
May 20th - Torkoal - TR mon with no 0 speed option (unusable as a weather lead)
May 19th - Weezing - Not doubles viable in the slightest
Mar 18th - Gyarados - Viable
Feb 25th - Amoonguss - TR mon with no 0 speed option
Jan 14th - Pelipper - Viable

So in 2018 there has been 9 doubles tournaments with shiny prizes. Out of those 9 you would only want to use 3 of them in doubles. The current doubles meta is more diverse than ever before and has a plethora of viable pokemon, not being able to find anything that doesn't require TR is simply lazy.

Now lets look at the shiny vs non shiny distribution in all the different tiers / formats.
Amount of shiny prizes in the last 5 tournaments (including upcoming tournaments and not including community funded tournaments):
OU - 5/5 Shiny prizes (no non shiny prizes in the last 11 tournaments)
UU - 5/5 Shiny prizes
NU - 4/5 Shiny prizes
LC - 5/5 Shiny prizes
Doubles - 2/5 Shiny prizes

So in conclusion:
Doubles has the least tournaments out of every format.
Out of the few tournaments we get doubles has the least shiny prizes.
Out of the few shiny prizes we get only 1/3 of them are viable in doubles.

Just a little bit of love would be nice (NU should probably get a couple more tournaments too). Also I'm by no means saying that the other tiers should get less shiny prizes because honestly non shiny prizes suck and those tournaments feel horrible to play in.

For future events like Halloween and Christmas, can we have a way for people to join regardless of which regions they've completed? I've completed Kanto and Hoenn but I can never join these events because they always take place in Unova. Maybe have a specific city in each region where you can participate or perhaps the boat can take players to an event island where they can play.