Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

UU and NU CC weren't just on hiatus because of that, it was also because I wanted an easier month of preparing them, either way, UU and NU CC will be returning in January.  If they get cancelled due to lack of participation you will just have to live without having that tier that week.

This suggestion is probably for next year.

Have a Christmas counting of Christmas trees event where christmas trees are put(hide) everywhere. and players will need to guess or count how many trees are there. by uploading thier guess on forum. and first 3 correct guessers get a reward.

Trees can be hidden everywhere(like in cave though it is illogical)

I think current dungeon have potential to be a little exciting only during the first run, but then it is just disappointing.

1.Final Boss and reward for him are anticlimactic

Spoiler

You navigate through dungeon burning repels/berries/potions, you solve puzzles, fight with bigger and bigger "waves" of elfbots, it's late at night and you should be sleeping already? don't worry it all lead to the Final Boss who is... pretty easy even for unprepared duos(who attack each other) and you are awarded with extra part for present that you could find on the ground. Instead of final destination of the dungeon, he is just another NPC who happens to be at the end.

He could be more difficult (but balanced to "1try" approach of dungeons, not like pumpkin boss) and offer anything that makes you happy you reach the end and defeat final boss. Player should feel satisfied that he spend time in this way and not the other. Could be something exclusive for 1st defeat or some extra rewards on daily cooldown but don't cut off feeling of accomplishment out of experience.

2.Cost of running dungeon can be more expensive than rewards

Spoiler

You need to invest substantial amount of time and cash to clear entire dungeon. And this cost is biggest for ppl who are discovering dungeon. Which could act as a filter, discouraging anyone who try and serving as a new way for grinding money for serious players who already found optimal runs paths.

Finding cheapest and fastest way to acquire most cash in dungeon might be fun for some people but I think it would be more awesome if dungeons were more like cool thing to do rather than calculated business. If ppl prefer to take part of content and toss away the rest, it's a sign there is a room for improvments.

3.Presents can be disappointing

Spoiler

Same case as for Final Boss. You can get thrash from presents that makes you ask yourself why did you even bother to enter that dungeon. Taking in account how much you can spend time and cash in dungeon and what thrash can you get from it I would not be suprised if it's better to just behave like there is no dungeon, spend that time and cash on gym/npc grind and buy whatever you like from it off GTL

Im not saying you should buff up rewards, presents could feel disappointing right now because entire weight of dungeon reward is on them. Most ppl does not calculate cost of everything in their head to see if they make a good deal. Deal is good if it feels like a good one. After investing all the time and cash to get through dungeon you open a presents and you get rare candies... Time/cash well spend.

After I completed dungeon for the first time I ddn't feel any urge to go back there. Farming dungeon to get more cash is not motive that pushes me enough, especially when you can go on minus with profits if you dont follow someone who knows what to do or/and drop some thrash from presents. Long story short, currently dungeon feels like expensive thing to do money instead of thing that makes you want go home and play(grind, breed, xp) PokeMMO

tl;dr; Current dungeon is not exciting and feels more like clearing gym/island(but with bigger input and more riskier for ppl without a guide) instead of end-game adventure

I don't have as bad OCD for lv 50 comps as some do but still I think it would be cool if event prize comps wouldn't be spawned at lv 50 because you cannot EV train them while still keeping them level 50 unless you spam the comp vitamins or buy amnesia brace but I don't think you should have to do that for something that is supposed to be a prize.

Nothing significant but just pointing that out.

On 1/8/2018 at 9:07 PM, OrangeManiac said:

I don't have as bad OCD for lv 50 comps as some do but still I think it would be cool if event prize comps wouldn't be spawned at lv 50 because you cannot EV train them while still keeping them level 50 unless you spam the comp vitamins or buy amnesia brace but I don't think you should have to do that for something that is supposed to be a prize.

Nothing significant but just pointing that out.

Would you suggest lvl 100 comps or levels closer to what they would normally be obtained at?

4 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

Would you suggest lvl 100 comps or levels closer to what they would normally be obtained at?

I think the lower level the better, so level 1. However, assuming you don't want Pokemon that are unrealistically low leveled (meaning an evolved Pokemon that is lower level than the evolution level for that Pokemon), I think the best way to do is to spawn the prize shiny at the lowest level the respective Pokemon can be evolved into. The more choice, the better. And I don't think anyone ever would be too bummed that a Pokemon is spawned at too low level, getting a Pokemon from lv 1 to lv 50 takes no time whatsoever.

writing contest. havent lost to gunthug in a while i think its time to loose again.

get rid of the 1-2 rule for event hosting. its gay and if you just say "hey i want to have X number of pvp X number of pve a month min" and let staff do the events they want to do you'll have more events and happier staff and happier players.

re do the shiny prize system. having cool down on untradable gift shinys is silly. gift shinys do not effect market price. im sure if xeno was still around he'd tell you the same. i am not saying i want to see the same 5 shinys given out for every tourney, but mods shouldnt be force to give out pokemon that have nothing to do with the tier they are hosting, or some other sub optimal prize because of this rule. "why bother hosting a tourney is i can only give out this prize no one wants and i'll get 1/2 the players do to a bs rule?"

yes it made sense when their was 8 tourneys a month. when we have 8 tourneys a week it doesnt make sense. one could argue "hey we just need to change the cool downs and tweak it". i argue that the system is flawed because it needs to be tweaked based off the number of tourneys hosted and its better to just keep the shiny prize tiers and let the mods choose what prize they want to give. 

on the topic of tourney prizes, yes shinys are cool, but a untradable comp shiny for a non comp player has limited use. would like to see more rp on the pve side and i guess cash. between pc spaces, orcarinas, vanitys, and donator status everyone has use for rp. for pve events a comparable value rp is A more dividable for things like the find a friend and B more universally valuable to all players then a comp/comp shiny. sure a pve player who enjoys the trade/grinding/shiny hunting and collection aspect may enjoy the /compshiny and use it, but often times it gets put in the pc and never taken out. 

but like

But-Thats-None-Of-My-Business.jpg

So it's been a couple years since this happened. How would you guys feel about doing another region locked tournament? For those who weren't around for the original ones I'll post the links below.

Basic premise is that you sign up and get assigned a region and you can only use a team using Pokemon from that region's pool or a middle ground that is open to both regions.

39 minutes ago, XelaKebert said:

So it's been a couple years since this happened. How would you guys feel about doing another region locked tournament? For those who weren't around for the original ones I'll post the links below.

Basic premise is that you sign up and get assigned a region and you can only use a team using Pokemon from that region's pool or a middle ground that is open to both regions.

Never heard of it before, but honestly it looks pretty cool. I would definitely be up for it, and more silph tours means more hype!

3 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

DO IT! 

As a Little Cup enthusiast, please don't make Little Cup a thing until we have Eviolite. And not only that but in combination with the lack of team preview, there's very little strategic depth to this gameplay. Even in our Gen3 Little Cup, a huge flaw in the gameplay was the fact that defensive play was second to useless. There was very specific Pokemon with some element to slow down offense but only temporarily with likes of Lileep, Exeggcute and maybe Porygon. Beyond that the metagame was just one massive show of speedcreep and priority moves. The difference for that was that Gen3 has no Eviolite and no Team Preview so I guess we just had to suck it up and play it regardless and the main reason we did was that it was some nice refreshing change for a while. Now we actually have the tools to make Little Cup a very strategic tier and I really hope people won't get the wrong image of this wonderful tier based on the first tournaments without these elements.

To elaborate further, Eviolite is simply needed because these tier lists are made according that we have Eviolite. And not only that but just a quick look at the Pokemon we have kinda tells you that everything that was a problem in our Gen3 Little Cup is just magnified in our current Gen5 format. First of all, movepools are wider. This makes offensive pressure much higher than our Generation 3 format. Some moves in Gen5 are also just straight up broken (looking at you Shell Smash) and when there's Pokemon with access to this move, priority moves AND Sturdy the metagame will be even more heavily reliant on priority moves than our Generation 3 variant. On the flipside, defensive play has not really got any better. What's worrying is that according to Gen5 LC Viabilty Rankings in Smogon, the main defensive threats even in Generation 5 were the Pokemon from Generation 3. In our Generation 3 metagame these defensive Pokemon were lackluster at best and no solid additions were given besides maybe Lickitung and Nosepass being allowed options now in our metagame. However, both of them are very shaky as a defensive role Pokemon because rather than actually causing pressure, they're just 3HKOd by most offensive Pokemon rather than 2HKOd and that's their main depth they're bringing.

Also the lack of team preview just makes everything even worse. Because of the high pressure exerted by offensive threats, lots of the gameplay is simply thinking what Pokemon should I sack in this specific situation. It's pretty hard (well, impossible) to make any correct plays because you have no idea what should you even theoretically save in this battle. With the information regarding what both players have, it at least gives some kind of a "mindgames" element to the battles because both players have an idea what Pokemon should the other player conserve and play accordingly.

Edited by OrangeManiac
because I can
22 minutes ago, XelaKebert said:

But how would we even reward players for something like that?

Mhh, how about giving it a shot without rewards, more like a community event, and if that doens't work, play on websites that require a registry so you keep usernames, then reward based on those? Idk