Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

3 hours ago, Darkshade said:

It would be highly unlikely that anyone would ever be able to obtain something of this quality even if they sunk multiple shinies and millions of gold into the system when breeding.

Cute. I've actually seen lots of Shiny Breeds that have better IVs than Official prizes AND some of those are even rare species, Venusaur+Charizard+Electabuzz off the top of my head, there's a lot more of those. So it is possible and clearly people are doing it, thing is no comp player ever has the time to gather the amount of money needed to be a casual rambo who breeds shiny comps. Instead that player uses his time to improve himself competitively so he can win tournaments and feel rewarded with the prize, thing is since the prizes are getting downgraded for no reason at all, those good feels are going away too.

Imagine all the new players who look at a future seasonal and think like "Well hold on why do I have to put all this effort into winning this if I'm only getting a shiny Skarmory, when player X won a shiny Zard and player Y won a Metagross few years ago. Why should I be punished for not playing this game for as long as those people do? Oh well might as just quit this grind shitfest of a game and go play showdown instead".

3 hours ago, NikhilR said:

@Darkshade

2) The very fact that you feel that a competitive player doesn't earn the right to obtain a customized shiny for winning an invitational means you don't understand the effort that goes into winning it.

This.

Love how DS just ignored the people who proved his point about tourney prizes to be wrong and carried on with w/e. 10/10.

Anyways moving on to a different topic, I think staff should really work on communication between each other when deciding on which tourneys they should host. There are months where you see like 5 NU, 1 OU, 2-3 UU, 0 Dubs and then theres months with like 2 NU, 3-4 OU, 1 UU, 2 Dubs. Etc. Every month should have equal tier representation IMO, instead of just throwing random tournaments together, there should be a time when someone stops and think "Well if that other CM is a hosting a NU, maybe I should host something other than that".

My two cents. Sorry if bad wording, I wrote this on phone.

2 hours ago, LifeStyle said:

Love how DS just ignored the people who proved his point about tourney prizes to be wrong and carried on with w/e. 10/10.

Unfortunately I don't really have the time to continue the discussion in full as much as I would like to.

However, I can just as easily use "Or that your standards and sense of prize scaling is too high." as a response to this:

On 19/07/2017 at 7:19 PM, NikhilR said:

@Darkshade

2) The very fact that you feel that a competitive player doesn't earn the right to obtain a customized shiny for winning an invitational means you don't understand the effort that goes into winning it

And it would be equally as much of a valid point.

Because, as the point has been made multiple times in the past:

• The entire purpose of this game is to raise monsters.
  • Your competitive monsters do not disappear after you win a tournament, you are able to continiously use them in future tournaments.
  • You can still use them for anything else in the entire game.

Yes, it does take a lot of effort to win a tournament - and yes it does cost a lot of money to make a competitive 'mon.

However, you can continiously use them afterward, for both PvE and PvP: that's the point of the game.

And yes, it does take some time out of your day - hours perhaps, but that is not equal to the prize you'd hypothetically obtain based on what you're requesting.

On 19/07/2017 at 7:19 PM, NikhilR said:

@Darkshade

1) Yes you made shinies untradeable and gave them "competitive" ivs as a compensation, but this really isn't the compensation that the playerbase wanted. It's something that was decided by you.

It was, because it was objectively the best way way to tackle the problem we faced of giving away prizes of too much value into the economy, whilst also keeping them special in their own right and not turning the game into just a PvP sim.

I once posted in another thread in the past (possibly this one), where people were talking about how the IVs of competitive prizes were too little and needed an increase and that the 'shininess' of a prize was just pointless vanity.

So when the point was raised, I asked the members of the competitive community who were complaining in that thread whether they'd consider a non-shiny prize with better IVs to be better.

That's not to say this was something that we'd change, but just to gauge the opinions of those wanting to voice their opinion.

The tone quickly changed, and the shininess of a prize seemingly was something that was to be desired.

Over the years that I've been here, and especially since we made the move to make Official Event prizes untradeable I've seen the same tired arguments.

It almost always seems to come down to this:

• I want event prizes to be tradeable
  • I still want them to be shiny
  • I want their IVs to at least 5x31

And given the value a prize (tradeable or not) that would exist if a combination of any of these two bullet points were to be given out - it would be too much.

It's really as simple as that.

Do I think there are exceptions to this rule? Absolutely.

But I also think the level at which you wish to raise the standard barrier is too much.

On 7/21/2017 at 11:03 PM, Darkshade said:

And it would be equally as much of a valid point.

Because, as the point has been made multiple times in the past:

• The entire purpose of this game is to raise monsters.
  • Your competitive monsters do not disappear after you win a tournament, you are able to continiously use them in future tournaments.
  • You can still use them for anything else in the entire game.

Yes, it does take a lot of effort to win a tournament - and yes it does cost a lot of money to make a competitive 'mon.

However, you can continiously use them afterward, for both PvE and PvP: that's the point of the game.

And yes, it does take some time out of your day - hours perhaps, but that is not equal to the prize you'd hypothetically obtain based on what you're requesting.

Darkshade do you think people use all of the same pokemon that they have bred months ago continuously as time passes by? Have a look at the tournaments now and compare them to one year ago and see if people are using the same pokemon and sets. We have a tiering system that changes often and because of that people have to keep building new teams and thus new pokemon. Not only do they keep breeding new pokemon but they build different sets on the same species. A pokemon with a good moveset for one particular month then becomes obsolete in the next one. People bred Snorlaxes when it was around, then they bred Chanseys and now they're probably doing the same with Umbreon. And this is just with respect to OU. If Raichu gets moved to UU then anyone who plays NU would've wasted loads of their money just breeding it. That thing needs Surf + Espeed which are both 20k+ BP moves each and so in other words it costs around 400k just to moveset it. And another 1m+ investment just into breeding that poke because it needs a good HP and 6x25+ ivs. 

The general cost to breed an all round good iv'd pokemon is perhaps 400k. To moveset it, ev train, level it up is another intensive grind. Then you require hp pokes that cost around 1m to obtain. So approximate each pokemon will cost around 400k-1m depending on factors such as your iv standards. Now a player needs 6 pokemon to compete in an official which would roughly mean at least 2.4m in using ONE team. Do you think this same player can win a tour just by running those same 6 pokemon again? No, they need another team most likely. That's another 2.4m+ that they invest. Now said player plays an official and realizes that the team he has built isn't good enough and he needs more pokemon in order to gain an advantage with just matchup. So again the same process repeats. And how much does a player earn after winning a tournament? 1m or 1.2m which is a lot less than the money they initially invested. Because of the increase in the size of the tournaments, it basically has become harder or more tiring to win an official.

The Absol qualifier has 8 participants and what's the monetary prize for that? 1m. Don't you think players will be breeding new pokemon or same species with different sets just for that tournament? With the replay system implemented it becomes all that easier to realize what a player likes running and so the other player is forced to run something new. 

I get that my pokemon have PvE purposes like maybe the halloween or christmas event? But that's like what twice a year and basically just a month long period? 

On 7/21/2017 at 11:03 PM, Darkshade said:

It was, because it was objectively the best way way to tackle the problem we faced of giving away prizes of too much value into the economy, whilst also keeping them special in their own right and not turning the game into just a PvP sim.

I once posted in another thread in the past (possibly this one), where people were talking about how the IVs of competitive prizes were too little and needed an increase and that the 'shininess' of a prize was just pointless vanity.

So when the point was raised, I asked the members of the competitive community who were complaining in that thread whether they'd consider a non-shiny prize with better IVs to be better.

That's not to say this was something that we'd change, but just to gauge the opinions of those wanting to voice their opinion.

The tone quickly changed, and the shininess of a prize seemingly was something that was to be desired.

Over the years that I've been here, and especially since we made the move to make Official Event prizes untradeable I've seen the same tired arguments.

It almost always seems to come down to this:

• I want event prizes to be tradeable
  • I still want them to be shiny
  • I want their IVs to at least 5x31

And given the value a prize (tradeable or not) that would exist if a combination of any of these two bullet points were to be given out - it would be too much.

It's really as simple as that.

Do I think there are exceptions to this rule? Absolutely.

But I also think the level at which you wish to raise the standard barrier is too much.

Not every player wishes the same thing you know. How about you make the option of exchanging the gift shiny prize for a 6x31 non shiny version or for 1m prize? Anyone who hosts tournaments with prizes that require hidden power will gladly opt for a 1m additional payment instead of the shiny prize. If I could opt for a non shiny version of a poke but with 6x31 ivs, I will definitely take it. The shininess factor only comes into play when it comes to a shiny that looks good like Heracross, Arcanine, Flygon, Dusclops etc. If you host a tournament with the prize like Machamp, Rhydon, Fearow then people would most likely prefer a 6x31 version. 

Can you explain to me why having 5x31 on the shiny prizes would be too much? 

Nah I like shiny comps, they bring that swag into the match with them. I just wish they could be as competitive as a 1M~ breed.

What upsets me mostly tbh isn't the fact they're 2x31, but that they're always hp dark and this shit been like this for months without a fucking fix.

Agree with everything else Nik said tho.

And a reminder that the new system for seasonal prizes is ass. Like every post DS makes is also a reminder that he literally doesn't play this game lmfao.

Edited by LifeStyle
On 7/19/2017 at 0:47 AM, LifeStyle said:

Last year's NU Autumn Seasonal was lit. Was here thinking to myself that staff will probably fuck that up so hard this year just like they did with OU (Shiny Skarm 1st place instead of choice of shiny, not even perfect IV either) and UU (only 4 qualifiers, only prize for 1st place rofl).

I'm asking for you to pls not continue this trend, these changes killed almost all hype there was for seasonals.

This game is shit enough, we don't need to ruin it even further.

Regardless, they've nerfed the prizes severely, so we won't be seeing those top tier mons anymore for our seasonals. The only way to get those are by being a noob and randomly venturing through the main game. 

On 7/18/2017 at 1:10 PM, Zymogen said:

With all due respect, that wasn't my question. 

It seems reasonable to hypothesise that there may be, say, 6 people who "contribute" to a team tournament win. In this situation, your share of the prize would be 325k.

You are suggesting that for winning one of the most prestigious tournaments in the game, your share of the prize money should be, on average, less (175k less in this instance) than what a weekly 32 man Community Combat pays out to its winner. Please. 

And if you have a particularly strong team, then there may well be even more people who "deserve" a share, in which case the prize becomes laughably small. 

The tournament was created to determine the best team in the game, not the best trio; and the prize money should be adapted as such. 

Bump

650k per player is garbage, you are giving us less than any standard tournament for winning the best / most hyped / probably one of the only tournaments worth playing in the game. TT is more about the glory and pride and bragging rights and all, but with that, should come a nice money reward aswell, there's a lot of effort that comes into winning a TT, you have to basically prep during a whole month in order to have a good chance of winning, and it is a team event... How can it be only 1.9m the prize of winning the best thing that ever happened to this game? At least bump it to 1mil per member so that way it's at least the same as any standard tournament please. 

13 minutes ago, BlackJovi said:

Bump

650k per player is garbage, you are giving us less than any standard tournament for winning the best / most hyped / probably one of the only tournaments worth playing in the game. TT is more about the glory and pride and bragging rights and all, but with that, should come a nice money reward aswell, there's a lot of effort that comes into winning a TT, you have to basically prep during a whole month in order to have a good chance of winning, and it is a team event... How can it be only 1.9m the prize of winning the best thing that ever happened to this game? At least bump it to 1mil per member so that way it's at least the same as any standard tournament please. 

yeah besides that, it's only one team that gets the reward and it only happen 1 time each month, it's not like it's entering too much money to the game because of it, if that is what they're worried about.