Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

1 hour ago, Zymogen said:

With all due respect, that wasn't my question. 

It seems reasonable to hypothesise that there may be, say, 6 people who "contribute" to a team tournament win. In this situation, your share of the prize would be 325k.

You are suggesting that for winning one of the most prestigious tournaments in the game, your share of the prize money should be, on average, less (175k less in this instance) than what a weekly 32 man Community Combat pays out to its winner. Please. 

And if you have a particularly strong team, then there may well be even more people who "deserve" a share, in which case the prize becomes laughably small. 

The tournament was created to determine the best team in the game, not the best trio. 

I agree, and I've always hated that about it. We in AURA always, ALWAYS divided the money between all the participants but it was a misery that could have been wasted better buying mistery boxes for example and even you don't get to buy many of them with that shit amount, in our case sometimes was about 8 out of 10 participants. I'll never understand that about TT

10 minutes ago, Arimanius said:

I agree, and I've always hated that about it. We in AURA always, ALWAYS divided the money between all the participants but it was a misery that could have been wasted better buying mistery boxes for example and even you don't get to buy many of them with that shit amount, in our case sometimes was about 8 out of 10 participants. I'll never understand that about TT

When RISE won their first TT, I didn't take part yet I gave everyone who participated in the tournament (outside of those who were in the final) 650k each out of my own pocket because I felt the current system is completely unfair. It's borderline ridiculous. 

13 minutes ago, Arimanius said:

Buying mystery boxes is not a waste

55 minutes ago, Zymogen said:

When RISE won their first TT, I didn't take part yet I gave everyone who participated in the tournament (outside of those who were in the final) 650k each out of my own pocket because I felt the current system is completely unfair. It's borderline ridiculous. 

Where my money at

ed: didnt read that correctly nvm

Edited by xStarr

Last year's NU Autumn Seasonal was lit. Was here thinking to myself that staff will probably fuck that up so hard this year just like they did with OU (Shiny Skarm 1st place instead of choice of shiny, not even perfect IV either) and UU (only 4 qualifiers, only prize for 1st place rofl).

I'm asking for you to pls not continue this trend, these changes killed almost all hype there was for seasonals.

This game is shit enough, we don't need to ruin it even further.

8 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

Last year's NU Autumn Seasonal was lit. Was here thinking to myself that staff will probably fuck that up so hard this year just like they did with OU (Shiny Skarm 1st place instead of choice of shiny, not even perfect IV either) and UU (only 4 qualifiers, only prize for 1st place rofl).

I'm asking for you to pls not continue this trend, these changes killed almost all hype there was for seasonals.

This game is shit enough, we don't need to ruin it even further.

The Absol tournament series is just a mini-series to fill up the time. The year isn't over yet, be prepeared.

1 hour ago, Billla said:

The Absol tournament series is just a mini-series to fill up the time. The year isn't over yet, be prepeared.

nah, but even most staff will consider it as a UU seasonal. Because of this, we won't end up getting a proper one later on

49 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

So are we gonna have a real UU seasonal after this mini-joke one?

Well to be fair this "mini joke UU-seasonal" which wasn't even meant to be taken as a seasonal but okay, was just something for fun. Just something different for a change. Whether an UU seasonal is coming or not is not up to me as I've finished Ruak's thing and now this smaller series thing. So it's up to any staff member.

19 minutes ago, TheChampionMike said:

Well to be fair this "mini joke UU-seasonal" which wasn't even meant to be taken as a seasonal but okay, was just something for fun. Just something different for a change. Whether an UU seasonal is coming or not is not up to me as I've finished Ruak's thing and now this smaller series thing. So it's up to any staff member.

@Billla I believe you can host this with a good prize. Also shoutout for making good tourneys (at least more than the shit ones hue). 

2 hours ago, TheChampionMike said:

I remember Xela saying that past seasonals were staff's mistakes and that from now on they would be different, with lesser shinies than usual. Or some shit like that

I was concerned that this Absol thing would replace an actual seasonal because of those words, but if it's not meant to then my question is answered

I still feel that when (if) we get NU seasonal this year it will be some poop thing with like 1st Place Walrein or something.

Bring back customizable prize or no hype.

7 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

I remember Xela saying that past seasonals were staff's mistakes and that from now on they would be different, with lesser shinies than usual. Or some shit like that

I was concerned that this Absol thing would replace an actual seasonal because of those words, but if it's not meant to then my question is answered

I still feel that when (if) we get NU seasonal this year it will be some poop thing with like 1st Place Walrein or something.

Bring back customizable prize or no hype.

I kinda liked the idea when you could choose any shiny you want,but you had to use that pokemon in the final battle.

7 minutes ago, Mnemosyne said:

I kinda liked the idea when you could choose any shiny you want,but you had to use that pokemon in the final battle.

Wut? I don't think this was ever a thing

Pretty sure the condition to pick something was that it had to be over 4,36% usage.

The turn your own pokemon shiny thing is gone, normal series or mini series its not a prize option anymore.  Mini series get a less valuable upper tier prize than normal series, but neither get the turn your own shiny prize anymore, what xela said was indeed true.

5 minutes ago, BlackJovi said:

Slowly turning the game into only PvM, killing the hype for comp players

nice 

Yes, because we removed all of our competitive features.

9 of the 12 currently posted events are not PvP-based.

We also definitely don't already have exclusively good prizes for PvP players, alongside automated tournaments and a council comprised of members of the community who actively exist to bridge the gap between PvP players and the development team.

Maybe a bit of an over-exaggeration Jovi?

56 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

Maybe a bit of an over-exaggeration Jovi?

18 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

The prize system and automated tournaments did kill a lot of the official hype. 

18 minutes ago, Summrs said:

The hype was killed when all tournaments became automated and shiny prizes became untradable with set IVs. 

Seems like im not the only one. 

1 hour ago, Darkshade said:

Yes, because we removed all of our competitive features.

No Silph tournaments, which we all loved.

Worse and worse prizes, starting from turning your own comp into shiny, ending at, watch out, a shiny skarmory for OU seasonal.

Untradeable prizes.

We can't customize our prizes either, catching events are having better prizes than competitive tournaments.

Cancel button for doubles lmao etc

I could go on and on, but I don't wanna put the boot in you even more

33 minutes ago, BlackJovi said:

Seems like im not the only one. 

But it's just not true.

Take LifeStyle's quote from a page a go:

On 15/07/2017 at 10:34 PM, LifeStyle said:

Yeah I'm still a bit tilted I couldn't get in Granbull tour, legit logged like 30 mins before regis and then when the button popped up, I took 2 secs to click. Got fucking 70/64, I guess since we're in Summer people are actually playing this game now.

We're still getting at least the required amount of players actively participating in PvP Tournaments - automated, I might add.

I'm not going to pretend that the prizes given out are more valuable than some of the ones we had back in 2012, or that the community dialogue during tournaments is at the same level that is used to be when everyone was huddled into one room.

However; for the former, that's the entire point - the prizes given out were overlooked, and we did not have a full plan back then on how we wanted to distribute them.

And thus it was discovered that we were giving out too much.

To help stop the large amount of value being pumped into the economy on a weekly basis, we made these prizes untradeable.

To compensate, we allowed them to have largely competitive IVs - something you cannot get elsewhere without spending millions and millions on shiny breeding.

We gave players the option to select Egg Moves (though currently not relearnable, something we're aware of).

Hidden Power selection is also something we plan on implementing.

Being able to turn your 'mon shiny is a ridiculously good prize.

Too good of a prize, especially for those species of which few or none exist - not to mention you then bypass the already high IV limitations we set in place for Gift Shinies.

(No, you should not be able to potentially obtain literally the most valuable 'mon in the game by winning a seasonal, untradeable or not).

It would be highly unlikely that anyone would ever be able to obtain something of this quality even if they sunk multiple shinies and millions of gold into the system when breeding.

When compared to our baseline, it's obviously too much.

As for the latter; we'd like to introduce a tournament chat (as I believe we've noted before).

And I know, we've said these things a lot, and nothing has come of them.

Well that's largely been due to working on Unova, which also adds a lot to the PvP environment.

26 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

catching events are having better prizes than competitive tournaments.

Could you elaborate on this, or give an example?

26 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

Cancel button for doubles lmao etc

So, maybe you personally don't find tournament as exciting as you used to.

And in some cases that may be a fair critique - many of which we're attempting to address in the future.

But the sign ups are still happening, the prizes are clearly appealing to some; and if not the prizes, the PvP experience itself.

If your complaints each time stem from "I want to either earn millions for winning a tournament or get a prize that a player sinking ludicrious amounts of money couldn't achieve without being incredibly lucky". (Which I'd argue the latter is already somewhat the case).

Then there isn't much I'm able to do for you unfortunately.

@Darkshade

I'm not sure whether you care about this, but from what I saw in the Granbull tour signups, there are at least 20 players that I haven't heard of and that's probably because these guys just don't care about the competitive part of the game and are just playing it casually. These are players that probably won't stick around for a long time. My point is that these tournaments aren't as competitive as they used to be and the no. of signups isn't a valid indication of the "hype"

1) Yes you made shinies untradeable and gave them "competitive" ivs as a compensation, but this really isn't the compensation that the playerbase wanted. It's something that was decided by you.

2) The very fact that you feel that a competitive player doesn't earn the right to obtain a customized shiny for winning an invitational means you don't understand the effort that goes into winning it.

3) If you still want to look at tour signups as an confirmation of the hype, then have a look at the recent TT brackets where we're struggling to get a whole bracket.