Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

PokeMMO Official League

Make a league like footballs leagues by registration all vs all, this league can be year by year, with good prize to the 3 on the top of the league. 

pls no like seasonal tournaments, it need be like a football league.

10 minutes ago, BlackJovi said:

These automated tournaments make me sick.. Did devs explain why we can get silph co tourneys anymore? 

LF more silph co tourneys, only TT isn't enough 

I recommend at least two Silph Co. tournaments a month. These tournaments brought so much hype it was amazing. Those tournaments also really set this game apart from online simulators like Showdown when it comes to the competitive environment. Without those type of events, we're really just a simulator with a hard as fuck grind factor in order to make our teams. 

There really isn't much reffing that needs to be done with our match request system. We just need a few mods to get together, call matches, and edit a bracket. 

It would also offer the opportunity for true PvP events to have customizable EV spreads again on Shiny prizes, allowing for varying Hidden Powers on these prizes. 

On 11/20/2016 at 7:15 AM, DoubleJ said:

I recommend at least two Silph Co. tournaments a month. These tournaments brought so much hype it was amazing. Those tournaments also really set this game apart from online simulators like Showdown when it comes to the competitive environment. Without those type of events, we're really just a simulator with a hard as fuck grind factor in order to make our teams. 

There really isn't much reffing that needs to be done with our match request system. We just need a few mods to get together, call matches, and edit a bracket. 

It would also offer the opportunity for true PvP events to have customizable EV spreads again on Shiny prizes, allowing for varying Hidden Powers on these prizes. 

Trust me, automated tournaments are much worse and no way comparable to showdown. If you play in the smogtours server (not play.pokemonshowdown) where official smogon tournaments are held, one side of the screen is split for your battle with the other having lobby chat, so it's almost similar to having normal chat during our normal silph co tournaments or PSL battles where you get to see live commentary. 

But yes to stay on topic, we need more silph co tournaments because the hype for officials is dead af unless the prize is as dank as a bagon. 

Just now, NikhilR said:

But yes to stay on topic, we need more silph co tournaments because the hype for officials is dead af unless the prize is as dank as a bagon. 

As we've said before;

We'd rather work on improving the automated tournament system than go back to non-automated tournaments.

I realize progress is slow, and for that we apologize; but let us know what you'd like from the automated tournament system instead of just "drop them".

I'm mostly referring to the social aspects here, rather than mechanics - but feel free to mention those also.

Just now, Darkshade said:

As we've said before;

We'd rather work on improving the automated tournament system than go back to non-automated tournaments.

I realize progress is slow, and for that we apologize; but let us know what you'd like from the automated tournament system instead of just "drop them".

I'm mostly referring to the social aspects here, rather than mechanics - but feel free to mention those also.

I don't think any of us are saying to drop automated completely, but while you acknowledge the current system's shortcomings, why not host more silph co tournaments to compensate for the lack of social atmosphere? Right now the only motivation for me to play in tournaments is for the reward and not for the enjoyment of actually playing the game, so not only do I not play, I don't spectate either. Whereas when it's a silph co tournament, irrespective of whether you're playing in it, people will show up and it's a much more enjoyable atmosphere. Most of us are holding onto the good old days and just hoping for more opportunities to relive them, that's all. 

19 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

As we've said before;

We need a global tournament chat or something where you can commentate about the battles like it used to happen with silph co

tourneys. 

e: Also fix your bugs, where people get DQd for no reason at all and fail to play a game. Also give some power to the staff that hold the tournaments so that they can do something about a problem (if it happens), like someone stalling out a battle for 1 hour while delaying the whole tournament etc

Edited by BlackJovi
12 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

As we've said before;

To echo Nik, no one is asking to 'drop' automated tournaments. They certainly have their benefits and it's nice to have an easy system to play. What we'd like to see is just a couple silph co tournaments, per month, like the old days because the automated system doesn't favor the true MMO format at this point in time. 

1 minute ago, DoubleJ said:

To echo Nik, no one is asking to 'drop' automated tournaments. They certainly have their benefits and it's nice to have an easy system to play. What we'd like to see is just a couple silph co tournaments, per month, like the old days because the automated system doesn't favor the true MMO format at this point in time. 

So tell us what you'd like from the new system, because we don't wish to go back to non-automated tournaments at any time in the foreseeable future.

9 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

So tell us what you'd like from the new system, because we don't wish to go back to non-automated tournaments at any time in the foreseeable future.

Again, it's not going back to, it's supplementing the current system with 1 or 2 silphs co tournaments per month. Live silph tournaments would also offer adjustable ivs on prizes.

But to answer your question:

1. A chat system for all spectating players to discuss what's happening in all tournament matches

2. Adjustable iv prizes in automated system

3. Remove bugs that kick players when they're registered for their later round matches

4. Implement a better time clause based system to avoid stall matches lasting an 1 hour or more

5. Add names of winners to the end of tournament global announcement

Why not just teleport people who spectate tournament matches to a special room where the people can all talk to each other in normal chat?

To help articulate what I'm thinking:

Say Person A is battling Person B in one of them Oceanic Tournaments.

Say that Person C is battling Person D at the same time and they are also in the Oceanic Tournament.

Then say that Person E goes and spectates Person A and Person B's battle; Person E would be teleported to a "Tournament Spectator Room".

Then say that Person F goes and spectates Person C and Person D's battle; Person F would also be teleported to the "Tournament Spectator Room".

Person E and Person F can then communicate with each other through normal chat.

In terms of the spectators being removed from the spectator room, you could have them removed immediately after their spectated match ends, or force them to leave once the tournament ends and provide an exit if they wish to leave early (that way they can stay in the room even after their spectated match ended).

25 minutes ago, Gilan said:

In your system would the competitors also be able to see this chat? Imo would also need the competitors to be able to read the spectate chat. Half of the fun of doing a really good predict is seeing the reactions. A global tournament chat seems like the easiest solution

14 minutes ago, Rendiz said:

In your system would the competitors also be able to see this chat? Imo would also need the competitors to be able to read the spectate chat. Half of the fun of doing a really good predict is seeing the reactions. A global tournament chat seems like the easiest solution

Sure, all of the chat from the battle rooms would be transmitted to the spectator room, and vice versa. You could even highlight (aka a chat badge) the battlers' chat to distinguish them from the rest of the chat.

The reason I suggested this over the tournament chat is to simply filter out everyone who isn't actually a part of the battle

2 hours ago, BlackJovi said:

We need a global tournament chat or something where you can commentate about the battles like it used to happen with silph co

tourneys. 

Its not a fix but I have mentioned this before, if you go into your secret base you are put into channel 0, the same channel that tournament matches are held in and you would be able to chat as if you were at silph co. The competitors and anybody else who happens to go into there secret base would all be able to communicate in channel with each other.  Just nobody seems willing to do that.

Just now, Munya said:

Its not a fix but I have mentioned this before, if you go into your secret base you are put into channel 0, the same channel that tournament matches are held in and you would be able to chat as if you were at silph co. The competitors and anybody else who happens to go into there secret base would all be able to communicate in channel with each other.  Just nobody seems willing to do that.

Not everyone cares about secret bases, at least I dont have one, and I dont listen to too much people talking about that.. I also dont think everyone knows this. 

Just sayin, the same chat environment that is in silph co and missing from automated tournaments could be recreated with the use of secret bases, you don't have to be in the same secret base just a secret base.  And there are plenty that are close to a pokecenter for anybody who is also competing.

3 hours ago, Darkshade said:

As we've said before;

since this is the feedback, this is my experience with the auto tourney system. i tried it 4 times. 2 of those times i had bugs that prevented me from joining. a 3rd time i did not get in because the tournament window does not update, and the work around is shutting it down the reopening once you can press the enter button. im not sure if you would call this a bug but im pretty sure thats a bug. there was another time i tried to guess when the window would appear and guessed wrong and didnt get in.

since actually playing in a tournament means clearing 2-3 hours of my day, at this point i said fuck it and quit auto tournaments all together. i still hang around the forums but the point is the bugs in the auto tourney system which is the only endgame content outside of player generated content is loosing you players.

On 11/14/2016 at 6:34 PM, Quilachy said:

PokeMMO Official League

Make a league like footballs leagues by registration all vs all, this league can be year by year, with good prize to the 3 on the top of the league. 

pls no like seasonal tournaments, it need be like a football league.

This was tried last year and it did not do well. The reason being is that players who sit very low in the rankings end up losing any motivation to continue competing after the first couple weeks. This leads to numerous forfeitures during the actual league play which kills the hype entirely. Some suggestions to improve the system included ideas like allowing other players the ability to take a spot for someone who misses a week and having an elimination method. Both have drawbacks to them, but the ideal system would probably have an elimination method after each week of play. Allowing other players to take over for someone who decided to quit puts that player at a disadvantage as they would be inheriting the win/loss record of the player they are replacing in the league. Having an elimination method would alleviate some of the issues, but it's still not ideal. All in all, I wouldn't expect an official league to come back any time soon, if at all.