Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

I think Doubles is probably the best for the kind of "meeting seasonal" as NU had some while ago. I feel like Single Eliminiation tournaments aren't exactly the best format for Doubles because of the huge number variables you have each round and the fact RNG is possibly even more game deciding than in singles. Doubles is the kind of format that if you put a very good and a mediocre doubles player play against each other the win differential wouldn't probably more than 7-3 after 10 matches. Some kind of a round robin group stage event would be really cool for Doubles imo with meetups in Silph Co, I think it would be nice balance from those automated officials.

It could work like you make 4 groups of 16 from which the 4 with most wins in each group would meet in a Doubles Elimination finals tournament to figure out the Doubles seasonal Champion.

On 10/12/2016 at 10:06 AM, OrangeManiac said:

Doubles is the kind of format that if you put a very good and a mediocre doubles player play against each other the win differential wouldn't probably more than 7-3 after 10 matches.

going to flat out refute this

Im going to reference me and Imabes record, he isnt a bad doubles player by any stretch... but I think the score stands at 19 wins for me to his 2. Kind of ruins your point right away (as long as I dont count as a very good doubles player topkek)

Rest of your idea I love, I just disagree with yours and most peoples sentiments that luck>skill in doubles... 

3 minutes ago, BlackJovi said:

if you count qualifiers then yes, but besides that there's only two.. been slacking with that tbh I feel like they got replaced by community combats 

They didn't, I pretty much do what needs to be done with the community combats so resources are not being spent on them since I didn't host things before, they have literally 0 effect on what can and can't be hosted.

1 hour ago, DoctorPBC said:

Rest of your idea I love, I just disagree with yours and most peoples sentiments that luck>skill in doubles... 

For the record, I don't think luck is more important than skill in Doubles but I'm saying luck has the biggest role in Doubles from all the formats, therefor it needs more matches to determine who has the most skill. The very reason I suggest a series with lots of matches is that I consider skill more important and want to see who truly is the skillest player. If luck was more important than skill you could play a hundred matches and still be uncertain which one is better.

Edited by OrangeManiac
10 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

For the record, I don't think luck is more important than skill in Doubles but I'm saying luck has the biggest role in Doubles from all the formats, therefor it needs more matches to determine who has the most skill. The very reason I suggest a series with lots of matches is that I consider skill more important and want to see who truly is the skillest player. If luck was more important than skill you could play a hundred matches and still be uncertain which one is better.

So VGC???

I agree with you though, dubs does need something different to really make skill more a factor 

13 hours ago, BlackJovi said:

if you count qualifiers then yes, but besides that there's only two.. been slacking with that tbh I feel like they got replaced by community combats 

Would you say there is generally not enough pvp events, or is it 'cause 2 of them are qualifiers?

5 minutes ago, Kurodashi said:

Would you say there is generally not enough pvp events, or is it 'cause 2 of them are qualifiers?

well since two of them are qualifiers it takes up a spot for another official that could be happening. But overall there are not many events outside from the community combat (which are lame imo) and the qualifiers.