Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

1 hour ago, BlackJovi said:

Are leaderboard tournaments still a thing? We didn't have an august one. LF uu and nu leaderboard tourneys too, maybe it would motivate the playerbase to start playin ranked matches besides OU. 

isnt there a bug with the ques now tho? UU and NU dont work at all? i can be wrong on that

more lc tourneys

How long are you gonna pick those worst possible "comp" shinies and rotate them until the end of time? This is getting really ridiculous. It seems like you have about 4 OU and perhaps a few more UUs you're willing to rotate as your prize pool for officials and it is getting really tiring. If you're so adamant about not having too valuable shinies as prizes because shiny traders could get mad, you really really should sit down and rethink your prize policy for officials. Scratch the shinies altogether and really.. really sit down and have a conversation with the community of what would make them to get hyped about an official. (Like, a real conversation not the Off Topic kind of where it's just Noad being the only one trying to find common ground with the community.) I know I'm just gonna sound like a broken record but I kinda hope at some point someone realizes that competitive play is your only endgame content and when the hype for the only endgame content is currently this bad, well you kinda have a problem.

It doesn't even need to be a higher prize necessarily. It needs to be something that makes your community to be looking forward for those tournaments.

e: I just noticed and I'm fairly surprised something like Sneasel was given for upcoming UU official. I guess the problem with that is that the 90% of the tournaments you have just get overshadowed even worse by having your 15th Rhydon/Dodrio shiny prize which everyone just complains in the thread and the whole feeling of the tournament is ruined. I think the whole shiny comp prize - policy should be rethought.

I must say I personally think seasonal events like Summer Ball were fairly good at having some kind of a 'hype' with the event series going. Instead of having dozens of tournaments where everyone complains about the prize make one that has a jackpot.

Edited by OrangeManiac
1 hour ago, OrangeManiac said:

How long are you gonna pick those worst possible "comp" shinies and rotate them until the end of time? This is getting really ridiculous. It seems like you have about 4 OU and perhaps a few more UUs you're willing to rotate as your prize pool for officials and it is getting really tiring. If you're so adamant about not having too valuable shinies as prizes because shiny traders could get mad, you really really should sit down and rethink your prize policy for officials. Scratch the shinies altogether and really.. really sit down and have a conversation with the community of what would make them to get hyped about an official. (Like, a real conversation not the Off Topic kind of where it's just Noad being the only one trying to find common ground with the community.) I know I'm just gonna sound like a broken record but I kinda hope at some point someone realizes that competitive play is your only endgame content and when the hype for the only endgame content is currently this bad, well you kinda have a problem.

It doesn't even need to be a higher prize necessarily. It needs to be something that makes your community to be looking forward for those tournaments.

e: I just noticed and I'm fairly surprised something like Sneasel was given for upcoming UU official. I guess the problem with that is that the 90% of the tournaments you have just get overshadowed even worse by having your 15th Rhydon/Dodrio shiny prize which everyone just complains in the thread and the whole feeling of the tournament is ruined. I think the whole shiny comp prize - policy should be rethought.

I must say I personally think seasonal events like Summer Ball were fairly good at having some kind of a 'hype' with the event series going. Instead of having dozens of tournaments where everyone complains about the prize make one that has a jackpot.

Would you prefer higher cash prize and ditch Shinies altogether bar perhaps for Series? This is one thing that I am unsure if players want or not as some seem to but other seem to enjoy the gift shinies. Just spitballing ideas ive considered as posibilities.

3 minutes ago, Noad said:

Would you prefer higher cash prize and ditch Shinies altogether bar perhaps for Series? This is one thing that I am unsure if players want or not as some seem to but other seem to enjoy the gift shinies. Just spitballing ideas ive considered as posibilities.

im sure as hell we wouldnt want that. there would be like 0 reason to join a tourney without shiny prizes imo 

12 minutes ago, Noad said:

Is it possible to make it optional? Like if the player doesn't want the shiny, then he can go for the higher yen prize instead. 

EDIT: Maybe yen+RP as the alternative prize would be good, because I know I want some pc expansion :)

Edited by NikhilR

Why is hating on shiny dodrio? Its the best prize because doubles geddit xDxD

For real though I prefer having shiny prize over extra money even though most of my shiny comps have gone completely unused. There are probably some where I would prefer the money so I guess the option would be nice.

Honestly I don't think there is much of a problem with some tournaments having worse shiny prizes that others as that is bound to happen in the current system but I think the whole shiny prize tiering needs to be changed. There are a lot of things that are S that just really shouldn't be and freeing up more of these prizes would be really beneficial for both the host and the player especially since some of these don't require hidden power and so will be usable as well as being able to make more hype tournaments, totally not biased because half of the doubles meta are S prizes. Also reducing the cd on shiny prizes from 6 to 4 months also sounds like it would be really nice and maybe increase the amount of tournaments that are hosted since more prizes that don't require HP and maybe look cool are freed up.

Personally I just like to play in tournaments for my favorite tier and will do so regardless of the prize since winning an official is always a really nice feeling, although sexy prizes definitely does help with motivation. But its sometimes disheartening to want to play a tier and not see a tournament for 2+ weeks when other tiers (OU usually) have a bunch of tournaments with usually at least one having a really hype prize. I think what I said in my previous post a bit over a week back would be a nice solution to this issue since it would make tournaments far more consistent as well as giving all tiers chances for nice prizes.

On 8/28/2016 at 0:31 AM, Rendiz said:

I think 2 standard tournaments with fairly common shinys + 1 large tournament with a nice rarer prize every month should be the bare minimum for every tier and don't think its unreasonable to ask.

14 minutes ago, Noad said:

At this point the kind of we had in Summer Ball feels the best I can think for now. The shiny does resemble as a nice trophy to remind you and show off the accomplishment you had what came to that tournament series. When every tournament has a shiny it cannot be anything huge and then it leads just dozens of different people to have Rhydons and Dodrios and no one has a good taste about it. It doesn't resemble of the tournament/tournament series you won, it's just a trophy. Not THE trophy. I cannot even remember what was the tournament called where I won my gift shiny Wak for example but Ari sure as hell remembers Summer Ball 2016, that Treecko resembles the whole tournament series.

What comes to the whole shinies as prizes thing I think it's a standard because it has been the way since 2012. I guess majority wouldn't want to get rid of them and I guess I'm fine with it as long as it made more sense than it has been for a while. I personally think the whole "shinies for comp players" doesn't make much sense when you think of it (we're _comp_ players) but I guess traditions are traditions and when shiny prizes are thought out correctly it appears community likes them.

I dont care prizes , im joining for fun. So if there isnt any prize, i'll still join if i want. Coz we are playing pokemon. lol looking to prizes before join. Just lol. well its my opinion. And everybody has free to want more. 

But my suggestion is , there can be something that i can proud instead of prices or with prices. What is it? At other online games, if u won a big war, your are gaining a symbol that everybody can see it. I mean, after click a person and if can see his trainer card with accolades/achievement/success  this can be cool. 

Edited by FinnTheMember
english.
43 minutes ago, FinnTheMember said:

I dont care prizes , im joining for fun. So if there isnt any prize, i'll still join if i want. Coz we are playing pokemon. lol looking to prizes before join. Just lol. well its my opinion. And everybody has free to want more. 

But my suggestion is , there can be something that i can proud instead of prices or with prices. What is it? At other online games, if u won a big war, your are gaining a symbol that everybody can see it. I mean, after click a person and if can see his trainer card with accolades/achievement/success  this can be cool. 

Like in EE (Eden Eternal) there are guild wars and the top three teams get a crowd (symbol) displaying they were either 1st , 2nd or 3rd place with a little description.  I like that idea

Edited by xStarr