Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

I have tried the new automated tournaments and I can so far say they are great.Definitely takes tournaments from 3-5 hours down to 2-3. Big plus. However, I think minor adjustments still need to be made:

1. Signup Time: 30 minutes

Takes too long and it is unnecessary to ask players to idle 30 minutes for the tournament. I think 10 or even 15 minutes will be more suitable.

2. Scouting is really easy

Unless you intend to encourage scouting, having a secret bracket is probably for the best. Basically you do not know who your opponent is until the match starts, and that shifts the focus from scouting/counterteaming to building a solid team that does not need to be changed to succeed.

3. Give a 10 minute breather between rounds

I believe that is how it was intended, but the system seems to be bugged. After I won round 1, I was only given 5 minutes to get ready for round 2, and after I won round 3, I was given 9 minutes instead of 10. This is probably because the timer starts ticking when your future opponent finishes his battle.

I am not saying there is an easy fix to the problems above, but I hope they are acknowledged and considered.

I have tried the new automated tournaments and I can so far say they are great.Definitely takes tournaments from 3-5 hours down to 2-3. Big plus. However, I think minor adjustments still need to be made:

1. Signup Time: 30 minutes

Takes too long and it is unnecessary to ask players to idle 30 minutes for the tournament. I think 10 or even 15 minutes will be more suitable.

2. Scouting is really easy

Unless you intend to encourage scouting, having a secret bracket is probably for the best. Basically you do not know who your opponent is until the match starts, and that shifts the focus from scouting/counterteaming to building a solid team that does not need to be changed to succeed.

3. Give a 10 minute breather between rounds

I believe that is how it was intended, but the system seems to be bugged. After I won round 1, I was only given 5 minutes to get ready for round 2, and after I won round 3, I was given 9 minutes instead of 10. This is probably because the timer starts ticking when your future opponent finishes his battle.

I am not saying there is an easy fix to the problems above, but I hope they are acknowledged and considered.

I would like to add to the first point 15 minutes was my opinion too in our team chat since I also think 30 mins is a lot of time

I'd like to add to the second point I agree bracket should be secret till the tourney is over and u can watch the entire bracket in the tournaments history and watch the replays as u like but while the tourney is on bracket should be secret

Is it be possible to hold series qualifiers on different weekend days other than Sunday? This would allow people (mostly Europeans) who are not able to play until 2 am on a Monday to attend the series.  Ideally the date would rotate between Friday, Saturday and Sunday to make sure everyone gets the chance to participate

I think the idea behind having "always the zame weekday", in earlier seasons, is pretty much because "on average, people will be available every week, or never".
So this will avoid having saturday invite winners not being able to play on a sunday final. So that's one thing to consider.
This argument is a year old though, so i mean I'm open to feedback?

I think the idea behind having "always the zame weekday", in earlier seasons, is pretty much because "on average, people will be available every week, or never".
So this will avoid having saturday invite winners not being able to play on a sunday final. So that's one thing to consider.
This argument is a year old though, so i mean I'm open to feedback?

Ahh, makes sense. I guess that leaves us with two possible solutions left. Either the events are held a few hours earlier or you put them all on Saturdays. The latter one is the better choice imo, because that's when most people have time afaik, but I dunno if that's possible for Ronax or other staff members.

I love the amount of events that we get since the update (although there is no hype since everybody can spectate from where they want).

That said the only thing I am missing is some OU tournaments.

I also like 4v4 (think 6v6 is to much) monotype which is rather gimmicky. (dunno if it's supported as automated tourney tho)

I got this idea for a wonderful gimmick from Smogon's Gods and Followers.

The idea is simple - pick a God, which is going to be your only OU in the team. The other 5 Pokemon will have to be NU/UU that share at least one type with the God. Essentially it is a more balanced form of Monotype.

Examples of teams:

[spoiler]Gyarados

Lanturn

Azumarill

Swellow

Gligar

Kabutops

Flygon

Altaria

Quagsire

Steelix

Camerupt

Golem

Metagross

Steelix

Grumpig

Girafarig

Xatu

Mawile

Heracross

Breloom

Armaldo

Poliwrath

Hitmontop

Shuckle

Ludicolo

Vileplume

Lanturn

Mantine

Cradily

Tentacruel[/spoiler]

My suggestion is a staff held contest similar to the "Design a gym" contest and the like.

In this you would design a dungeon, similar to the North Pole at Christmas time.

What you would include in your submission would be:

• Theme/Area Aesthetic (Forest, Meadow, Desert, Ice, Cave, etc)
  • Mechanics / Puzzles (Strength puzzles, Surf, Cut, Dive, etc)
  • Purpose (Legendary Pokemon, Event, Loot etc)
  • Storyline (Why you are there, Example in spoiler below)
  • A mock of up of the area, simple artwork or using actual tile set art.

[Spoiler]

Without getting too into my own example...

Theme: Deep forest, using Pattern Bush + Berry Forest tilesets

Mechanics: Dive, Cut, Rock Smash

Purpose: To find Celebi and obtain it

Story: "Recently, townspeople from Pacifilog town have noticed Hoppip and Skiploom flying past their town from the south, these Pokemonn have not appeared in this area up until now, Take a boat to the south to investigate where they are coming from!"

Upon arrival you find a thick woodland on an island, you decide to explore its contents... Within the depths of this jungle you encounter the Legendary Pokemon, Celebi, Guardian of the Forest.

[/spoiler]

I think this would be a nice way to be creative for people who like world building, also since Dungeons are a confirmed feature in the future, having some idea of what the community would like from dungeons and what they would find interesting could prove useful, and I'm sure any contest participant would be delighted to have part of their idea implemented into Pokemmo.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Eggplant
Merged with Event Suggestions thread

To kinda continue what JJ said in "make a storyline" thread, in my opinion all music/art/writing/trivia and all that sort of events should have only one of those elements in the competition at once instead of the combination of two. The gym and the storyline competition hold both creative writing and artistic part of it and that sucks for the people who suck at one part of it but not with the other, which discourages taking part to either types of contests since they are merged.

Probably has to do with the staff that is available to host tourneys/events but I feel like the tourneys/catch events recently are really hard in favor of american players like all these events are 11pm/12am/1am (depending on country) in europe or even later.

Maybe theres a staffmember who can host tournaments a little bit earlier from time to time (I mean it shoud be possible to host at 8pm bst (3pm edt) on weekends).

Well maybe someone is able to host something a bit earlier if not can't be changed but I think I'd be nice for some of the european players.

Thx again for the amount of events and tournaments we get, love the writing contest.

Can we go back to forum registrations please?

about 45 noobs without forum accounts just took my spot in the recent ou official in a matter of 3 seconds

They're just as welcome to participate in a tournament as you are.

If we feel that tournaments are getting high enough demand, we may look at extending the bracket.

It's a good thing that new players are participating in tournaments.

about 45 noobs without forum accounts just took my spot in the recent ou official in a matter of 3 seconds

I mean you can argue that before there were quite a lot of people who didn't get into tournaments 'cause all the veteran players/player from big teams had sometimes 3 or 4 people signing them up (not that it's wrong but it is undeniably an advantage).

Bad connection also as a reason players wanted automated tourneys so lag or whateverwouldn't delay their signups.

Sadly there's not a lot motivation to spectate uness your friend/teammate plays, chat at officials is dead. (I have been to over 90% of all automated tourneys)

would be cool if u made the oceanics non-automated cause oceanics are easily the best tournys

here are some cats pictures to persuade you Noad, cause u the only one whoever hosts them

[spoiler] s-Like-a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing.jpg more like eey-awww amirite

0000000000000aa1.jpg i this cant purr-suade you, i dont know wot can

[/spoiler]

You can be furry persuasive when you want to be.

Sure, it's a lot funnier seeing like 5 or 6 people signing up the same person, instead of that person signing up for him/herself.
Amirite

Forum signups were cancer and hopefuly, we will never see those again (Unless under certain circumstances, like LC tourneys for example)