Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

The requirements for how events should be run will be discussed soon, so I'll get back to you on that o7 

Your feedback would be cool Sparkie instead of curving me. I doubt this will be discussed since this policy is probably new and probably doesn't want to be changed by Mr. Rules. I'm simply asking for gimmicks to be thrown under the PvE category because they are going to give a hard time to the tier council and competitive community. I don't agree with the system, but that'd at least be an improvement. This isn't game changing or anything. Other staff feedback would be cool too. A meeting isn't an excuse to not communicate. :)

Edited by DrCraig

Your feedback would be cool Sparkie instead of curving me. I doubt this will be discussed since this policy is probably new and probably doesn't want to be changed by Mr. Rules. I'm simply asking for gimmicks to be thrown under the PvE category because they are going to give a hard time to the tier council and competitive community. I don't agree with the system, but that'd at least be an improvement. This isn't game changing or anything. Other staff feedback would be cool too. A meeting isn't an excuse to not communicate. :)

A few things. Firstly, Sparkie was responding to earlier requests from players for a gimmick, it is hard to please everyone. BUT at the same time I can totally see your point here, there are a lack of standard PVP events as of late whilst we try to balance the amount of PvE and PVP. Obviously we don't want our meta to be negatively affected by this and it's important for players to voice concerns regarding this so we can potentially look at this.

I also agree that gimmicks like 1v1 and monotype can be categorised as a non tournament event due to the fact it is a type of tournament accessible to any player. For a 1v1 you literally need one Pokemon.

I don't mind throwing gimmicks under the PvE category. I just wanted to switch things up so that members didn't get bored of playing Standard PvP events all the time, and I doubt that there's going to be a whole month dedicated to gimmicks. Didn't really notice the lack of events for certain tiers until recently, so I think it'll be best if I communicate with the tier council more often.

Throwing gimmick tournaments under PvE is not going to happen. PvE events are reserved for events in which a player does not have to beat other players to advance through a bracket. This is events like catching contests and hide n seek. Clefairy Cup is still a PvP event the same as any standard tournament.

You guys should come to the KSEM unofficials, they are surprisingly successful and there are quite a lot of people that show up. The prize amount is actually pretty decent at like 500k-600k for the winner, 2nd and 3rd also get a bit of cash from 50k-200k ish, not actually sure the exact amount. Hosted at good old Silph co Ch7 at around 9pm-11m GMT(not exactly sure of the time but check the thread) or like 5pm-6pm EST(again around that time).

The hosts are very consistent, and just 5k entry fee which is added onto the prize funds(they add a big chunk out of their own pockets). Here's the thread, OU tonight. I know it don't have the same feel as an official, but it works for me. Tiers are rotated daily, so everyone can come at least once a week.

Edited by KaynineXL

Throwing gimmick tournaments under PvE is not going to happen. PvE events are reserved for events in which a player does not have to beat other players to advance through a bracket. This is events like catching contests and hide n seek. Clefairy Cup is still a PvP event the same as any standard tournament.

I obviously realize that, but you have no reasoning other than arbitrary defintions. I'm not saying gimmicks aren't PvP you doofus. I also know you're a person not a robot, so if you could think instead of retreating to definitions, that'd be cool. If you read my post, which I'm assuming you did, I suggested:

tl;dr

Staff should follow the following guidelines for hosting officials:

1. Host a Standard PvP Tournament
  2. Host an Event or Gimmick PvP Tournament
  3. repeat..

I'm not suggesting to change the Xelaberto Dictionary. I'm suggesting that Gimmick PvP events do not interfere with the frequency of Standard PvP Events. I'm going to repeat what I said a few posts ago. PvP has a small enough sample size to work with. We must have 4 Standard Tiers accounted for. Mind you, there is no communication between staff and tier council regarding event planning. That being said, if we have gimmicks taking up a staff members PvP tournament slot, it makes it more difficult for the competitive community to improve the meta. We also cannot experience the meta (testing, observing etc.). Maybe you did, or maybe you didn't notice a stretch in winter where there were 4 UU tournaments, during a test ban period, over 6/7 weeks. This isn't game changing, but why should Standard PvP which needs more attention have the same magnitude as a fucking fishing contest. If staff would:

1. Host a Standard PvP Tournament
  2. Host an Event or Gimmick PvP Tournament
  3. repeat..

I don't see a negative.

Edited by DrCraig

The main reason for having a somewhat balance between PvP and PvE events is probably so that the endgame content doesn't revolve entirely around tournaments for Officials, since there are some players who aren't about the comp life. However, I do agree that staff-run tournaments should be more diverse and that something should be done about the lack of events for certain tiers. There's a possibility that a few Standard OU events will be coming out at the end of this month.

Also, there's something special in store for double players soon.

[spoiler]

Banning the tier, sorry.

[spoiler] Kidding, don't hurt me. [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The problem i see with this I personally don't really think of these PvE events as end game content and I'm guessing most others don't. Sure some people may find it something fun to do on the side every so often but I don't really think anyone thinks of it as end game or can possibly substitute to actual game play.

Possibly automated tournaments may fix the current tournament drought. Forgive me if I'm misinformed but the automated tournaments are only for OU so that won't really fix the issues in the other tiers. The current lack of tournaments is really unhealthy for the meta and really hinders the tier councils abilities to make change.

The problem i see with this I personally don't really think of these PvE events as end game content and I'm guessing most others don't. Sure some people may find it something fun to do on the side every so often but I don't really think anyone thinks of it as end game or can possibly substitute to actual game play.

Possibly automated tournaments may fix the current tournament drought. Forgive me if I'm misinformed but the automated tournaments are only for OU so that won't really fix the issues in the other tiers. The current lack of tournaments is really unhealthy for the meta and really hinders the tier councils abilities to make change.

Automated tournaments, at the very least, support all of the main tiers, OU, UU, NU

Automated tournaments, at the very least, support all of the main tiers, OU, UU, NU

I was mostly going off of this

Automated Tournaments

• The top 128 Ranked players are eligible to enter into Automated Tournaments every month.
  • Automated Tournaments are Single Elimination, Single Battles OU tournaments with configurable Shiny prizes.

To my understand these are going to be the only extra tournaments with automated tournaments taking the place of most of the official events, If that is correct then that doesn't necessarily mean there will be extra tournaments for other tiers just that the format of how they are held will be changed.

The top 128 tournament is OU only yeah, as well as matchmaking, at least for now if that will change in the future dunno.  But automated tournaments in general don't have to be.  They can be configured to be any of the tiers.

When I say automated, I mean they will still be staff posted and whatnot but when it comes to the actual tournament itself it requires little-no staff supervision to run.  The system does everything from signups/making sure the rules are set correctly, taking useage, and keeping up with the bracket itself.

The top 128 tournament is OU only yeah, as well as matchmaking, at least for now if that will change in the future dunno.  But automated tournaments in general don't have to be.  They can be configured to be any of the tiers.

When I say automated, I mean they will still be staff posted and whatnot but when it comes to the actual tournament itself it requires little-no staff supervision to run.  The system does everything from signups/making sure the rules are set correctly, taking useage, and keeping up with the bracket itself.

Wow, it takes usage, that's pretty cool.

We had some discussion today.
Well. I'm not going to detail all our internal policies.
But to soothe the concerns of the previous page:
We're still going to bring events to both comp tournament players and casual PvE players.
But they won't interfere with each other under the form of a 1:1 ratio, one event will not "steal a slot" from another.
So there's the best of both worlds. Just see if you like the pace at which events come out from now on.

Masters series for crative media.
Bob_Ross_afro.gif

As much as this is requested it may be time to discuss why this has not happened. While we can work on more creative media contests having a masters series for them is a lot harder to manage than comp events. Creative media at its core is a very subjective topic to judge. While we can set certain factors on which scores and ratings should be based it is still subjective on how well a judge feels an entry has met those criteria. There is just no way to objectively do all of the excellent entries we have gotten justice.

Another video contest will be announced in the next month or so. I am really waiting for this next update to happen before I prepare the next video contest but there are many features that have been added since the last video which I believe warrants another contest to be run.

So, when does the hype begin ? :)

Edit: Self correction. Scaling works down not up at the moment.

So if there is an event with 64 players its max 64 players. But it will also launch with 32-64 seats taken.

In future we will try to make it so it also scales up if there's enough participants. But right now due to complexity of the logic it has not been implemented this way.

Will all standard officials be set to 64 now? There have been a few officials recently with double the sign ups and not all were made 64 , with less staff needed to host I hope this is the case. By what Shu said, a 64 man with 32 sign ups will be scaled down to 32 so I don't see a reason why not?

Wasn't sure where to post this but just wanted to check.

Edited by Leorodo

Will all standard officials be set to 64 now? There have been a few officials recently with double the sign ups and not all were made 64 , with less staff needed to host I hope this is the case. By what Shu said, a 64 man with 32 sign ups will be scaled down to 32 so I don't see a reason why not?

Wasn't sure where to post this but just wanted to check.

This is up the hosts but as you can see with the latest events approved that are automated most are 64 man and I see that being more the norm than the exception.