Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

That's why I said Thursday too =)

Well I'm lf an uu tourney for a weekend last uu tourney that was hosted on saturday or sunday was like 4 months ago

When is the best hour/day of the week to host an UU tournament in your opinion?

When is the best hour/day of the week to host an UU tournament in your opinion?

When the staff can put one on obviously, but from my observations, thursday-sunday seems to have really good turnouts for official tournaments. The typical 1-3pm PST timeframe is pretty good and fairly all-inclusive. 

When the staff can put one on obviously, but from my observations, thursday-sunday seems to have really good turnouts for official tournaments. The typical 1-3pm PST timeframe is pretty good and fairly all-inclusive. 

Been thinking for a while on bringing back Tuesday Night Throwdown, from 2013/14. Not too sure though.

Been thinking for a while on bringing back Tuesday Night Throwdown, from 2013/14. Not too sure though.

Weekday tournaments are always a tough one considering work and classes, but it would be nice to have another regular tournament event. I would unfortunately be unable to attend Tuesday tournaments considering my class schedule. 

Maybe 1v1 tourneys, or monotype tourneys. Idk how the community feels about this, but could be fun. Don't need to necessarily give out a comp shiny for it. 

Yeah I agree - I know in the past, a lot of comp players have spoken out about gimmick tourneys, but that was during a period when the gimmick tourneys outnumbered standard ones. Sometimes its nice to change it up every once in a while with gimmicks like monotype or tier shift

Yeah I agree - I know in the past, a lot of comp players have spoken out about gimmick tourneys, but that was during a period when the gimmick tourneys outnumbered standard ones. Sometimes its nice to change it up every once in a while with gimmicks like monotype or tier shift

Yeah, I think tag team official tourneys would bring a lot of people too, when kuro hosted the unofficial it had a good outcome. 

Edited by BlackJovi

Too many PvE events.

Our PvP already tries to deal with low sample sizes and now we're getting swamped with PvE instead of PvP events.

C'mon man.

We are aiming to get a 1 to 1 ration on PvP to PvE. 

We are aiming to get a 1 to 1 ration on PvP to PvE.

Why? Was there an outcry for more PVE events or is this an "it isn't broke, so let's fix it" move?

Edit: I suppose it won't be that big of a deal once the update hits and pvp has far better outlets than staff run tournaments Edited by Gunthug

Why? Was there an outcry for more PVE events or is this an "it isn't broke, so let's fix it" move?

Edit: I suppose it won't be that big of a deal once the update hits and pvp has far better outlets than staff run tournaments

Call me old fashioned but I wouldn't want to see the ranked tournaments that are automated to be like 90% of the PVP events. How will I be able to get people needlessly angry at me when we're not all at silph co? 

Call me old fashioned but I wouldn't want to see the ranked tournaments that are automated to be like 90% of the PVP events. How will I be able to get people needlessly angry at me when we're not all at silph co? 

Ignoring the angry part and putting aside the fact that I don't play much: It's going to such when tournaments start getting heavily automated. I hope they still have the same atmosphere as regular tournaments. Needs the fun tournament feel. :P

Ignoring the angry part and putting aside the fact that I don't play much: It's going to such when tournaments start getting heavily automated. I hope they still have the same atmosphere as regular tournaments. Needs the fun tournament feel. :P

The automated tournaments are going to be monthly I think, I remember them saying the PVP rating resets after each automated tournament(monthly). Not sure if they plan on increasing the number of automated ones after a while.

I think with the automated tournaments people will end up grouping at verm upstairs, so maybe we'll keep the same atmosphere, we'll see.

I'm sure there are some standard tier tournaments coming soon from the staff, but in the case that there aren't I encourage the staff members to obverse the tier council section and see what tiers are being discussed. Communication is nice and if the events could do the tier council some good, we'd all benefit.

And to complain (this is not an attack on Sparkie, but more of an overall statement I guess):

If staff are required to alternate between a PvP tournament, then a PvE(contests and shit) event, there should atleast be some use to that PvP tournament. It's absurd for a staff to take a time slots for an event, then a useless gimmick tournament (like this 1v1 tournament), then another event. How not helpful to the competitive scene which has a small sample size and low frequency as it is. I think Mr. Captain Staff should make it so that staff have to follow a guidline where they host a Standard PvP Tournament, and then must host an Event or Gimmick PvP Tournament in order to host another standard. It seems logical because in my biased opinion people would rather battle than solve crossword puzzles.

tl;dr

Staff should follow the following guidelines for hosting officials:

1. Host a Standard PvP Tournament
  2. Host an Event or Gimmick PvP Tournament
  3. repeat..

We just need more officials in general not just for 1 specific tier. While I understand this may just be variance and there may be something going on behind the scenes the general lack of officials recently is quite pitiful tbh. Considering how stale this game has become and the fact that PvP is the only 'end game content' that we have it would be very nice to see some extra tournaments. As it is with the lack of tournaments there is literally no reason to log onto the game except for meaningless grinding.

Also fuck catching events and the like. Just my two cents

We just need more officials in general not just for 1 specific tier. While I understand this may just be variance and there may be something going on behind the scenes the general lack of officials recently is quite pitiful tbh. Considering how stale this game has become and the fact that PvP is the only 'end game content' that we have it would be very nice to see some extra tournaments. As it is with the lack of tournaments there is literally no reason to log onto the game except for meaningless grinding.

Also fuck catching events and the like. Just my two cents

Yea, I remember talking to Eggplant the dude and he said they/he wanted to start evenly distributing the standard tiers around each month. Of course we can't achieve that if all this PvP is essentially not possible without fucking catching events and puzzles. Special attention to tiers is nice if staff could communicate with Tier Council through their general thread.

The main reason for having a somewhat balance between PvP and PvE events is probably so that the endgame content doesn't revolve entirely around tournaments for Officials, since there are some players who aren't about the comp life. However, I do agree that staff-run tournaments should be more diverse and that something should be done about the lack of events for certain tiers. There's a possibility that a few Standard OU events will be coming out at the end of this month.

Also, there's something special in store for double players soon.

[spoiler]

Banning the tier, sorry.

[spoiler] Kidding, don't hurt me. [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The main reason for having a somewhat balance between PvP and PvE events is probably so that the endgame content doesn't revolve entirely around tournaments for Officials, since there are some players who aren't about the comp life. However, I do agree that staff-run tournaments should be more diverse and that something should be done about the lack of events for certain tiers. There's a possibility that a few Standard OU events will be coming out at the end of this month.

Also, there's something special in store for double players soon.

[spoiler]

Banning the tier, sorry.

[spoiler] Kidding, don't hurt me. [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Could you atleast give feedback on the 

host a Standard PvP Tournament, and then must host an Event or Gimmick PvP Tournament in order to host another standard. It seems logical because in my biased opinion people would rather battle than solve crossword puzzles.

tl;dr

Staff should follow the following guidelines for hosting officials:

1. Host a Standard PvP Tournament
  2. Host an Event or Gimmick PvP Tournament
  3. repeat..

whole point of the second paragraph thing :(