Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

I like the idea of having some invitation for the team tournaments but I don't really think there's a fair way to do it and it seems like one of the "prizes" for the team tournament is to get into the next one automatically. I agree it makes official events look more unofficial when people don't have actual comp teams, but unless you have some official seeding or something else that will never be implemented, time based sign ups are pretty much the only viable method.

YOLO does not really have a right to complain about being left out, only to themselves: being 40 minutes late for sign-ups is usually guaranteed you will not be in for any official. Vale was still 7 minutes late.

The first come first served sign-up method remains the most consistent. There is still a subtle balance that prevents a flood of newbie teams (at least there used to be, idk why almost  nobody signed up for this TT), since bigger teams will have multiple members sign up for safety, and if they get 2 different timely sign-ups, they will offer one to another competitive team, usually.

Rotating tiers should be good, and 4 rounds means that each tier will be played 3 times. Some may argue against the non-OU round, but in the team tournament the whole point is to prove dominance over all tiers regardless, so even if you have the best OU players in the game, that is not enough to win you TT.

I would do like this:

Round 1: OU/UU/NU

Round 2: UU/NU/Doubles

Round 3: NU/Doubles/OU

Final: Doubles/OU/UU

Edited by OldKeith

YOLO does not really have a right to complain about being left out, only to themselves: being 40 minutes late for sign-ups is usually guaranteed you will not be in for any official. Vale was still 7 minutes late.

The first come first served sign-up method remains the most consistent. There is still a subtle balance that prevents a flood of newbie teams (at least there used to be, idk why almost  nobody signed up for this TT), since bigger teams will have multiple members sign up for safety, and if they get 2 different timely sign-ups, they will offer one to another competitive team, usually.

Rotating tiers should be good, and 4 rounds means that each tier will be played 3 times. Some may argue against the non-OU round, but in the team tournament the whole point is to prove dominance over all tiers regardless, so even if you have the best OU players in the game, that is not enough to win you TT.

I would do like this:

I think that's too complicated for the player base unfortunately. People would show up ready to OU in round 2 or something, even after staff repeat it 15 times in shout chat. 

I know this has been suggested but I can't remember for the life of me who suggested it. What if the rotation occured between each round? A simple randomizer could pick 3 out of 4 available tiers and teams would have the usual 10 minutes to assemble their lineup. Then, before the start of the next round, the randomizer could be used again and another 3 tiers are selected from the available 4 (I know doubles isn't technically a tier but bear with me here).

The problem I could see with this is, teams could have the excuse that "we only lost cuz X tier wasn't in it." However, that excuse will still exist with tyrone's current plan, except the excuse would last for the entire tournament.

Another possible obstacle: not every match in the round ends at the same time (as we saw from Vorred's zebra-esque 1st round matchup yesterday), which could potentially leave the teams lagging behind with the advantage of knowing the tiers well in advance of their match, as dictated by the other side of the bracket or something. A possible solution to this would be rotating the tiers for each individual matchup, not just for each round, but that seems a little too subjective

I like this general idea, it seems like it could be really interesting to try even just once. 

Can't remember complaining about YOLO not making the bracket. My point was that, despite there being a team in the TT without the resources to actually compete, there were also teams that did not participate that did have the resources to (just used YOLO as an example.) Although as Gunthug pointed out, there's probably not A LOT more than 16 teams with enogh resources to play four tiers. Still, I like the idea of rotating tiers between rounds.

Hey, guys.

What'd you think of today's secret bracket tournament?

Would you like to see this become a new standard? Any noticeable flaws in the way it was run? Was it intuitive, easy to follow? Too many rules, not enough?

Let me know everything that's on your mind.

Apologies once more about the finals situation.

I liked the idea of it, although I was too lazy to actually participate in it. It was a bit annoying not being able to check who was still in the tournament since there was no bracket. Maybe if there was a google docs sheet or some website that had the names of the players in round 1/2/3 etc, so it wouldn't really reveal the bracket but would give spectators/people too lazy to keep track of all the matches a decent idea of who was still in the tournament

I liked the idea of it, although I was too lazy to actually participate in it. It was a bit annoying not being able to check who was still in the tournament since there was no bracket. Maybe if there was a google docs sheet or some website that had the names of the players in round 1/2/3 etc, so it wouldn't really reveal the bracket but would give spectators/people too lazy to keep track of all the matches a decent idea of who was still in the tournament

I heard a few more people say the same thing.

'Could leave a progress post in the thread, like a list of participants, and just cross 'em out as they drop out.

You'll get a general idea of what round we're in. It wouldn't specify if someone specific is in round 2 or 3 though.

Something just like:

[spoiler]

Participants:

Eggplant

Elcoolio

Jayfeatskydd

Vorred

DoubleJ

OrangeManiac

Rigamorty

StriderXD

[/spoiler]

I heard a few more people say the same thing.

'Could leave a progress post in the thread, like a list of participants, and just cross 'em out as they drop out.

You'll get a general idea of what round we're in. It wouldn't specify if someone specific is in round 2 or 3 though.

Something just like:

[spoiler]

Participants:

Eggplant

Elcoolio

Jayfeatskydd

Vorred

DoubleJ

OrangeManiac

Rigamorty

StriderXD

[/spoiler]

I guess that kind of works except its hard to tell at a glance what the current situation is. I was thinking more something like this

d4a826c5f4b66d6a7776c658feed75b5.png

obviously the order of names wouldn't be indicative of who is playing next round

double date night.

32 or 64 man doubles tournament fought in pairs standard date night format.doubles go by quicker then any other teir so date night wont go on for ages, and doubles is also the most rng heavy teir so making it "date night" format will allow a sudo best/3.

the avg doubles matches time in the TT yesterday was around 10 minutes or less. assuming each match ends in tie breaker (cause worse case) a 64 man would last around a hour and 40 minutes not including roll call if every match is avg 10 minutes.
longest doubles match i ever saw was 40 back in the pre cb days due to a bliss and a team that could only pp stall it.

I approve of this

Tfw JJ eliminated 1st round.

Although i do like the tt conversation that's going down. Doubles and nu both should be considered for this tournament. Alternating tiers also helps to prevent scouting. Invite system would be sick too if handled the right way. Previous winners ofc invited back. I also don't know of any teams splitting up to try and get more bids. If anything they'd try and recruit a bigger team to ensure they make it with more players competing in officials.

I feel like registrations in itself already requires a certain skill cap. x:

Newer users aren't forum time wizards like some of you guys.

If a 'serious comp team' signed up really late, it's no surprise someone else got in, and they had all the rights to do so.

Newer teams are basically auto-reserves just from not having someone who knows how to register at the precise second. And I don't think they need any more exclusion than that.

Well, maybe. I could foresee this happening.

If you guys go give feedback!

If it's better in every way and there's no reason not to do it, we probably would make this the new standard, I think.

But if everyone's gonna be like "mehhhh!" then chances are we won't mess with something that isn't broken.

I would hate to see this be the standard for every official in the future, just because its a huge pain for spectators and kind of removes the ability to see possible match ups later on in the tournament. Like "oh zebra and destructx have a chance to play in semifinals, I'd really like to see that match, but I don't really care about the other matches" (lf my fans). Having a hidden bracket would be a nice monthly gimmick, but it doesn't make sense to make it the standard. Look at all the other competitive things out there, none of them have hidden brackets because a) scouting is a part of the game, whatever game it might be and b ) it makes it extremely confusing for spectators.

I would do like this:

Could be really cool to test this in august TT, this might be a refreshing and fun format to watch at the TT

it also might crown the very best team !!

I would hate to see this be the standard for every official in the future, just because its a huge pain for spectators and kind of removes the ability to see possible match ups later on in the tournament. Like "oh zebra and destructx have a chance to play in semifinals, I'd really like to see that match, but I don't really care about the other matches" (lf my fans). Having a hidden bracket would be a nice monthly gimmick, but it doesn't make sense to make it the standard. Look at all the other competitive things out there, none of them have hidden brackets because a) scouting is a part of the game, whatever game it might be and b ) it makes it extremely confusing for spectators.

That is the dumbest explanation against hidden brackets I have ever seen. If you want to see a match, see who is playing. If you want to see the bracket, wait for the semifinals to be announced.

I think hidden brackets are great and should become the norm... but not now. Only when we have automated tournaments. Scouting should not be the main focus of the game, but building a team that can come out victorious against the meta. But holding hidden brackets can be really confusing without an automated system.

That is the dumbest explanation against hidden brackets I have ever seen. If you want to see a match, see who is playing. If you want to see the bracket, wait for the semifinals to be announced.

I think hidden brackets are great and should become the norm... but not now. Only when we have automated tournaments. Scouting should not be the main focus of the game, but building a team that can come out victorious against the meta. But holding hidden brackets can be really confusing without an automated system.

but waiting for semifinals to be announced is literally 80% into the tournament. Not everyone wants to stay logged in for 3 hours just to watch a match. Can you tell me any other competitive game where the match ups are completely hidden? Smogon doesn't. Every competitive sport ever doesn't. 

If you want to have a tournament where scouting doesn't affect team building, then just require everyone to run the same 6 pokemon every round. Even a hidden bracket doesn't avoid scouting, since a majority of the counter teaming comes in semifinals and finals.