Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

Would love it if i could get into the event. Make it 64 man. Also would this happen PSL style or would the participants need to be avaiable on certain days for the RR?

Since it'd be an official, it would probably have to be scheduled so that mods could be around to judge matches. Trying to get 2 people in game at the same time was pretty hard, nevermind getting 2 & a spectator who has to be there.

It's time we fix Time Clause. In the past few tournaments I've seen players awarded extra time for their duel despite Time Clause being in effect for the first few rounds. The first time I saw it, there wasn't an amount of time specified for the match to continue on. The second time 10 minutes was awarded. And today, there was no time specified and the match lasted into the 61st minute. There have been other instances where no extra time was awarded and the match was called a draw, double disqualification. 

I hate to say it, but Time Clause isn't being handled appropriately among combatants. Either it is strictly enforced, or done away with entirely. It's almost disgusting to see certain players get awarded extra time and others none. If there is a bias it needs to stop. So let's figure this one out please. 60+ minute matches shouldn't be happening with this rule in place, nor should players be given an extra time while others are not. 

Get rid of Time Clause. Enforce time clause as is. Or Extend the amount of time for the clause to 60 minutes, from 45 minutes.

Edited by DoubleJ

I would be in favor of removing the time clause as of now just because it is way too easy to abuse it. I won't call out anyone but it is quite easy to spend 60 seconds per turn in some of those early turns of a duel and really rack up some time, can get up to 30 minutes pretty easily and maintain a 6 vs 6, and it doesn't seem like there's a good way to prevent the time stalling either, I mean the time staller can just make an excuse and say they're calculating or lagging or thinking or getting coached (hue). A showdown style timer would work a lot better I would imagine, just because of how you have the same pool of time for multiple terms (I'm not exactly sure on the mechanics of it), although there have already been multiple posts about changing the timing method and/or adding a visible timer, I'm sure it is "added next update"  though so there's probably not much to do at this point. Also removing the time clause doesn't seem like a viable option to the hosts just because a 90 minute match could really hold up a tournament if they're not dq'ed, even though time clause kind of eliminates the whole stall archetype. 

There is another problem that occurs when bias decision occurs. One of the players sees his time ticking away and takes the incentive to play risky to avoid the time clause. Now the ref sees the one player down pokes and decides to give the win to the other opponent, or extend time, completely screwing over the guy who could have possibly out stalled the other guy, knowing time extension was to be given.

It's time we fix Time Clause. In the past few tournaments I've seen players awarded extra time for their duel despite Time Clause being in effect for the first few rounds. The first time I saw it, there wasn't an amount of time specified for the match to continue on. The second time 10 minutes was awarded. And today, there was no time specified and the match lasted into the 61st minute. There have been other instances where no extra time was awarded and the match was called a draw, double disqualification. 

I hate to say it, but Time Clause isn't being handled appropriately among combatants. Either it is strictly enforced, or done away with entirely. It's almost disgusting to see certain players get awarded extra time and others none. If there is a bias it needs to stop. So let's figure this one out please. 60+ minute matches shouldn't be happening with this rule in place, nor should players be given an extra time while others are not. 

Get rid of Time Clause. Enforce time clause as is. Or Extend the amount of time for the clause to 60 minutes, from 45 minutes.

Couldn't agree more. Staff should have as little discretion as possible IMO - which is why the pokemmo our grandchildren play will have automated tournaments. But, in the meantime, I'd be fine with either removing time clause entirely, or strictly enforcing it at 60 minutes. Regardless of whether staff are biased or not (probably not, imo), by exercising discretion like time clause decisions all the time, theyre just inviting controversy.

Returning to RR format: what about ongoing tournament series that use RR instead of a bracket? For instance, you spread a tournament out over a month, let 32 players play a match every weekend (16 matches per tournament) and then after 4 weeks you seperate the stronk from the weak and have a single-elim tournament with the top 16 or whatever to get a champion. Sure, it's a bit longer, but the trash talk/hype would be pretty epic.

If we're gonna get really crazy with it, you could even award people who win a match a small amount of Battle Points to reward people for sticking out the longer format.

Also, numbers could be altered, you could have 64 participants (with 32 matches per weekend) and narrow it down to 16 double-elim or whatever you wanted. I think the point is that any RR format is bound to be better than having these 5 hour tournaments where you get haxed out after playing/watching for 3 hours and have to sulk until you roll the die the next time there's an official tourney.

Having RR and then single/double elim tournaments is just plain silly and undermines the whole point of using RR.

If you've ever played me, I spend a relatively short amount of time per move. In semifinals and finals I am a bit more careful, but still quicker than most players. Most of the matches that go over the 45 minute mark are usually from the opponent spending 60 seconds per turn many turns in a duel, not actually stalling pointlessly. 

Let's say I have a match with someone and the match up is pretty wally, but I can win in ~150 turns. I spend 15 seconds per turn and you can do the math, that is 37.5 minutes, 7.5 minutes below the time clause. But if the other person spends 45 seconds, or even 60 seconds per turn, obviously the match will take longer, even though I am not necessarily causing the match to be prolonged than it needs to be.

Basically my point is that you shouldn't point fingers at both players if one player is spending a responsible amount of time per turn to avoid the time clause and the other is spending an unhealthy amount of time, but avoiding the afk timeout button still. 

It's not about how much time you take to make a move. It's about how much effect your move has on accelerating the state of the match. If you're going to keep switching around from wall to wall then it's more or less likely that the match will continue to play out longer. Also people who generally wall don't need to think as much as someone who is trying to break them so it's somewhat understandable why your opponent might take longer time to make the move compared to you. However I don't know if your opponent is doing it to time clause you or anything because some people do take quite a bit of time for the sole purpose of dqing their opponent.

But like Archie said, it's something that has been re-occurring with you, hence the reason why I pointed it out. I'm sure you're not doing this intentionally but at the same time you have to know that this isn't fair to others. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line is, I think Time Clause rule should be strictly enforced by 60 min. At 45 min the ref has the choice of allowing an extension if they see that they match can come to an end soon, but at the same time a person who is stalling can still continuously do so to exceed the 60 min limit. So may be lessen the amount of time it takes to make a move after the 45 min limit?

Edited by NikhilR

Please keep the discussion about Event Sugestions and Feedback.

Time Clause is being internally discussed once again and we will let you know the result of said discussion when we come to a conclusion.

I would say discussing time clause falls under the "Event Feedback" category of this thread, when most of the discussion is referring to the tournament that happened yesterday. 

Time Clause is being internally discussed once again and we will let you know the result of said discussion when we come to a conclusion.

I hope you are not trying to imply that because you are all discussing it internally, that we should not be discussing it publicly.

Because that's been done before when we tried to talk about account sharing and Xela came and locked the thread asap saying, we're discussing this ourselves already.

So, there was a fairly recent suggestion that caught my attention. It included this statement:

4. Secret matchup

A way to further remove scouting is by having the bracket not be visible to spectators or players. This means you cannot ask your friends to scout your opponents, at least not early on.

Most of these suggestions require an update and coded support to function.

Except for this one. I personally find it interesting, and it's technically immediately implementable, since it's literally just a change in how we run things.

Thoughts on it? Do you like this concept on its own?

Because there's a hiccup. It is that we would no longer be able to call a match and give you 10 minutes of prep time from that point on, because it'd defeat the point of even hiding the bracket.

the most straightforward solution being to not call your match until 10 minutes after your match has ended. Giving you 10 minutes prep time before having a match called, after which you're expected to be in the room and ready to play.

Then, once called, you're given one minute or so to come to the table. 'Could do this via whisper to guarantee the bleep.

I'd like to know if you have ideas for a better way to organize it, or if we should just scrap the concept because it doesn't actually successfully hinder scouting, etc. Anything goes. Discuss!

So, there was a fairly recent suggestion that caught my attention. It included this statement:

Most of these suggestions require an update and coded support to function.

Except for this one. I personally find it interesting, and it's technically immediately implementable, since it's literally just a change in how we run things.

Thoughts on it? Do you like this concept on its own?

Because there's a hiccup. It is that we would no longer be able to call a match and give you 10 minutes of prep time from that point on, because it'd defeat the point of even hiding the bracket.

the most straightforward solution being to not call your match until 10 minutes after your match has ended. Giving you 10 minutes prep time before having a match called, after which you're expected to be in the room and ready to play.

Then, once called, you're given one minute or so to come to the table. 'Could do this via whisper to guarantee the bleep.

I'd like to know if you have ideas for a better way to organize it, or if we should just scrap the concept because it doesn't actually successfully hinder scouting, etc. Anything goes. Discuss!

Of course it hinders scouting. Remember when we used to do tier shift officials? Those were great because there was no scouting, having each round with a different tier.

The ''Bug Hive'' Official PVP Event. The ruling is the usage of a team of 4 bugs per competitor.

The viable option pool consists of 11 choices, each countering or checking one another:

Heracross (powerhouse)

Scyther (fast sweeper)

Scizor (set-up tank)

Forretress (wall)

Venomoth (special sweeper)

Shuckle (wall, annoyer)

Masquerain (intimidater)

Ninjask (speed god)

Shedinja (wonder guard)

Armaldo (set-up tank)

Pinsir (set-up sweeper)

There is none in this list that can be considered too dominant, and I am pretty sure most competitive players already have at least 3 of these bugs, so preparing one more won't take that long. It would be a fun tournament. Prize? Comp shiny Shedinja please.