Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

That would ruin it to be honest. That event is a very popular gimmick but running it monthly would likely kill any hype around it. Just my opinion on that.

I don't think it would KILL the hype, but I do think making it more infrequent certainly riles people up for it more. Maybe bi-monthly?

In completely unrelated suggestion news, LF official writing contest (pref w/an unl1mited wordcount)

This suggestion may have already been said but i'm not going to read all those pages for 1 suggestion. So if it is already said then just tell me if not then i wanna hear your feed back.

Not much of a new suggestion but a Modification to whats already there

Suggestion

Team tournament 5v5 instead of 3v3

Tiers:

Ubers (Anything Goes) - Could be 100s if needed so to have no rules. Except Species Clause.

OU

UU

NU - when we get it

Doubles

My reasoning for this is for when teams have many people who want to participate in the team tournament and only few can participate. Also it would promote more team work so its not just the top 3 players on team but bigger team battles.

Like i said if already suggested just say so if not then please discuss

This suggestion may have already been said but i'm not going to read all those pages for 1 suggestion. So if it is already said then just tell me if not then i wanna hear your feed back.

Not much of a new suggestion but a Modification to whats already there

Suggestion

Team tournament 5v5 instead of 3v3

Tiers:

Ubers (Anything Goes) - Could be 100s if needed so to have no rules. Except Species Clause.

OU

UU

NU - when we get it

Doubles

My reasoning for this is for when teams have many people who want to participate in the team tournament and only few can participate. Also it would promote more team work so its not just the top 3 players on team but bigger team battles.

Like i said if already suggested just say so if not then please discuss

For now I'd suggest 2x OU instead, and this has been brought up before and the issue that comes to the table is the amount of time and refs needed to make this work

I do fully support it though

Ok, so earlier I posted a thread asking to discuss Critical Hits in our metagame. The community was fairly anti, arguing that randomness in a game is beneficial to play. With this discussion though a topic kind of came to light that might help reduce the impact of RNG when we play. The following video sheds light on the benefits of RNG and how you can potentially lessen its impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9ZI9kMsvRQ

credits LeTyrone.

So with this in my mind, I am writing to suggest that a monthly official be established featuring a Round Robin format. The number of contestants should be determined by the mod's ability to ref such an event and sign-ups should be done accordingly. The winner is simply the individual with the highest win total and if there were any ties, then those ties would be decided by either duels or by another method.

Would be amazing to watch and see the statistics afterward.

For instance, KingBowser (4-0), Frags (3-1), jayfeatskydd (2-2), Orangemaniac (1-3), Gunthug (0-5).  

Would make for some serious trash talk. 

EDIT: Credit Coolio for catching that subtle touch

Edited by DoubleJ

So with this in my mind, I am writing to suggest that a monthly official be established featuring a Round Robin format. The number of contestants should be determined by the mod's ability to ref such an event and sign-ups should be done accordingly. The winner is simply the individual with the highest win total and if there were any ties, then those ties would be decided by either duels or by another method.

I really like this.

Ok, so earlier I posted a thread asking to discuss Critical Hits in our metagame. The community was fairly anti, arguing that randomness in a game is beneficial to play. With this discussion though a topic kind of came to light that might help reduce the impact of RNG when we play. The following video sheds light on the benefits of RNG and how you can potentially lessen its impact.

credits LeTyrone.

For instance, KingBowser (4-0), Frags (3-1), jayfeatskydd (2-2), Orangemaniac (1-3), Gunthug (0-5).  

See, here's the issue with this post; you talk about how round robin would make RNG less important, but you forgot to mention the most important side of Round Robin: Time Clause is made significantly less fucking retarded.

See, here's the issue with this post; you talk about how round robin would make RNG less important, but you forgot to mention the most important side of Round Robin: Time Clause is made significantly less fucking pooped.

The benefits are just pouring into the community. Let it rain. 

credits LeTyrone.

The thing is, we kinda had this with Master tournaments. It is fine to have a simple knock out tournament if you have multiple of them and if the winners of all these tournaments meet up at the final tournament, that is played in RR or even Swiss (we all know how that turned out though). There is no need for a single monthly tournament that is RR. If there are multiple tournaments a month that work towards a bigger tournament aka: Spring Championship, then you got the same thing going.

I would just suggest to make the final of the Spring Championship RR instead of a crappy double elim. And if we have a Summer Championship I'd even suggest making the qualifiers double-elim while the final tournament would be Swiss/RR. But I think making the qualifiers double-elim is sadly unrealistic with the maybe upped participants cap to 64 next time and the amount of time that would take. So single elim with a finals that is played in RR work very well.

VGC is played like this as well. As the first few rounds are a single game, because it simply takes too much time to have every game a best of three. But when the top 16 are battling it becomes a best of three. Yes, some good people will still be knocked out by RNG, but that is Pokémon. Everyone can win potentially.

I would just suggest to make the final of the Spring Championship RR instead of a crappy double elim.

You're essentially asking for a 15 round tournament. 15 rounds of each lets say 40 minutes with preparation included. -> 10 hour long tournament.

In the case I would only give the winner of each qualifier a ticket, then it would be a doable idea (8 man round robin). But as how the current format is drafted, asking for a 16 man round robin is ridiculous.

You're essentially asking for a 15 round tournament. 15 rounds of each lets say 40 minutes with preparation included. -> 10 hour long tournament.

In the case I would only give the winner of each qualifier a ticket, then it would be a doable idea (8 man round robin). But as how the current format is drafted, asking for a 16 man round robin is ridiculous.

what if our idea of a tournament is wrong? the "everyone shows up and has every match at the same time" seems to take a very long time but most people are just waiting around for their chance to do something. what if the tournament wasnt hosted this way? but was in a fashion similar to psl at least at the beginning. "here is your list off opponents, fight them all in X amount of time" and post results. doing this as qualifier/eliminator rounds would allow us to have large matches with lots of participants without taking as much time from the mods lives.

a example would be:

100 people sign up. everyone gets randomly assigned 5 opponents. you are required to have a minimum 50/50 win % to pass on to the next round (draws/no shows?), and then a second round starts same as the first only with less people left. after 2 rounds you'll have around 25~ +/- a few left. the first two(or three if needed) rounds can take place over the few days before the tournament. strict rules would have to be in place ofc but there already are strict rules in place. 

Yeah maybe Swiss would be better.

classic gunt. 4 matches, loses 5

Lel, seems everyone brought their girafarigs

credits LeTyrone.

This honestly does sound really cool. I can definitely see the appeal for you, JJ, because unlike other tournaments, you'd get to play more than 1 match

[spoiler]lel sry, i had to come back w/something[/spoiler]

Edited by Gunthug

Where were those pokeyen prizes in officials that were talked about in the "change in prizes" thread? Squirtle kind of made it sound like that there would be some pokeyen prizes eventually, at least that's what I remember him saying roughly in the old thread.

edit:

a5f6807966f807110aa093ff385e2c6c.png

Edited by BurntZebra

Returning to RR format: what about ongoing tournament series that use RR instead of a bracket? For instance, you spread a tournament out over a month, let 32 players play a match every weekend (16 matches per tournament) and then after 4 weeks you seperate the stronk from the weak and have a single-elim tournament with the top 16 or whatever to get a champion. Sure, it's a bit longer, but the trash talk/hype would be pretty epic.

If we're gonna get really crazy with it, you could even award people who win a match a small amount of Battle Points to reward people for sticking out the longer format.

Also, numbers could be altered, you could have 64 participants (with 32 matches per weekend) and narrow it down to 16 double-elim or whatever you wanted. I think the point is that any RR format is bound to be better than having these 5 hour tournaments where you get haxed out after playing/watching for 3 hours and have to sulk until you roll the die the next time there's an official tourney.

Returning to RR format: what about ongoing tournament series that use RR instead of a bracket? For instance, you spread a tournament out over a month, let 32 players play a match every weekend (16 matches per tournament) and then after 4 weeks you seperate the stronk from the weak and have a single-elim tournament with the top 16 or whatever to get a champion. Sure, it's a bit longer, but the trash talk/hype would be pretty epic.

If we're gonna get really crazy with it, you could even award people who win a match a small amount of Battle Points to reward people for sticking out the longer format.

Also, numbers could be altered, you could have 64 participants (with 32 matches per weekend) and narrow it down to 16 double-elim or whatever you wanted. I think the point is that any RR format is bound to be better than having these 5 hour tournaments where you get haxed out after playing/watching for 3 hours and have to sulk until you roll the die the next time there's an official tourney.

Would love it if i could get into the event. Make it 64 man. Also would this happen PSL style or would the participants need to be avaiable on certain days for the RR?