Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

Problems I can think of with 'immeasurable Brackets' and Incomplete 64 Man Brackets:

1. First Round Usage Statistics will be irrelevant because of their size.

2. Waiting on 1st round to finish when there is an incomplete bracket, or very small first round. Waste of time.

3. Not fair for those who get stuck with an extra round. I doubt 64 people will consistently show up and then 'byes' arise, which are..ugly.

4. Lengthy tournaments which are limiting for staff/players

5. Ugly Brackets

Pros:

1. Less complaining about bracket size

2. Everybody gets on

Why is this suddenly an issue now btw?

Edited by DrCraig

Problems I can think of with 'immeasurable Brackets' and Incomplete 64 Man Brackets:

2. Waiting on 1st round to finish when there is an incomplete bracket, or very small first round. Waste of time.

3. Not fair for those who get stuck with an extra round. I doubt 64 people will consistently show up and then 'byes' arise, which are..ugly.

5. Ugly Brackets

Pros:

2. Everybody gets on

Bc the spring invitationals, everyone wants to atleast get a chance to earn a spot.

Also if 64 ppl dont show up you can just make it into a 32 man tourny. What i would like to know is is there a way to get everyone in the same round on the floor and fighting at the same time? If so then a 64 man tourny will only take an hour extra if that bc there is only one extra round.

Bc the spring invitationals, everyone wants to atleast get a chance to earn a spot.

Understandable, but a change right now, illogical.

Also if 64 ppl dont show up you can just make it into a 32 man tourny.

So 33 people show up, and the 33nd person is left hanging. Just an exaggeration I know, but that wouldn't be fair to the worst case scenario, 31 people.

What i would like to know is is there a way to get everyone in the same round on the floor and fighting at the same time?

Takes a lot of ref, a lot of staff coordination, a lot of player cooperation. The problem with trying to make a 64 man tournament efficient through this system is that you need a lot of refs to be simultaneously available.

If so then a 64 man tourny will only take an hour extra if that bc there is only one extra round.

An hour is still a good amount of time. It's like 60 minutes.

First round usage stats are already kind of irrelevant. I'm not even sure why we still keep track of that kek.

Eh, it takes a bit. Big whoop.

You could argue it's not fair that some people have to have an extra round, but if it weren't for that extra round they wouldn't be playing at all, which is significantly less fair than a measly extra match.

You just repeated #2 but made it even more exaggerated lmao.

5. Ugly Brackets

Not sure why you're complaining about this; Now the brackets will look like you. OHHHH.

Honestly though, who cares. This, in addition to #4 are just an attempt to pad out your list of problems to make the argument against larger tournaments look better.

Pros:

2. Everybody gets on

Does it matter? But if you really want an answer, maybe more people want to play now, or it's harder to get a spot now, or whatever other reason. Regardless, is it really relevant?

Edited by Senile

First round usage stats are already kind of irrelevant. I'm not even sure why we still keep track of that kek.

Eh, it takes a bit. Big whoop.

You could argue it's not fair that some people have to have an extra round, but if it weren't for that extra round they wouldn't be playing at all, which is significantly less fair than a measly extra match.

You just repeated #2 but made it even more exaggerated lmao.

5. Ugly Brackets

Not sure why you're complaining about this; Now the brackets will look like you. OHHHH.

Honestly though, who cares. This, in addition to #4 are just an attempt to pad out your list of problems to make the argument against larger tournaments look better.

Pros:

2. Everybody gets on

Does it matter? But if you really want an answer, maybe more people want to play now, or it's harder to get a spot now, or whatever other reason. Regardless, is it really relevant?

k

32 Man Brackets are fine. Despite the increased interest, I still don't think that a complete conversion to 64 is necessary. I remember the old days with there being a 50 person reserve list which might indicate the urge for 64, but with the numbers we have today it isn't. Sure we see 60+ registrations, but is that 64 guaranteed? Nope. 

Keep it the way it is and hold some 64 man tourneys with awesome prizes sporatically to hype the community. Ya'll are doing good. 

I think the issue has really started to rise with the whole sign ups being 10 minutes prior to a tournament thing. Because of it, now if you're on reserves, you aren't in the tournament in most cases, bar maybe one or two lucky reserves every couple tournies. Before, sign ups were just sign ups. If you missed it, ah well, you fucked up, maybe you'll get called from reserves. Now sign ups are you being there and ready to play that tournament, you're at home, you're at your computer, and you already planned to spend the next couple hours at that computer for that tournament. So it's a pretty sad time when you spend those hours not playing in the tournament you hoped to be playing in because you got rekt by 32 other people who managed to click the button faster than you, and or have faster internet than you.

Before when you missed sign ups, you'd just say "oh well fuck it, I'll do something else that day" now when you miss sign ups, you already cleared your schedule for that day to play that tournament.

Edited by Rigamorty

I think the issue has really started to rise with the whole sign ups being 10 minutes prior to a tournament thing. Because of it, now if you're on reserves, you aren't in the tournament in most cases, bar maybe one or two lucky reserves every couple tournies. Before, sign ups were just sign ups. If you missed it, ah well, you fucked up, maybe you'll get called from reserves. Now sign ups are you being there and ready to play that tournament, you're at home, you're at your computer, and you already planned to spend the next couple hours at that computer for that tournament. So it's a pretty sad time when you spend those hours not playing in the tournament you hoped to be playing in because you got rekt by 32 other people who managed to click the button faster than you, and or have faster internet than you.

Before when you missed sign ups, you'd just say "oh well fuck it, I'll do something else that day" now when you miss sign ups, you already cleared your schedule for that day to play that tournament.

I need to like this more than once

32 Man Brackets are fine. Despite the increased interest, I still don't think that a complete conversion to 64 is necessary. I remember the old days with there being a 50 person reserve list which might indicate the urge for 64, but with the numbers we have today it isn't. Sure we see 60+ registrations, but is that 64 guaranteed? Nope. 

Keep it the way it is and hold some 64 man tourneys with awesome prizes sporatically to hype the community. Ya'll are doing good.

Hasent the last two spring qualifers had over 64 people? This is a game based around competitivbe play, but every week only a handful of people get to actually compete. And those of us who have extremely slow internet have no chance of getting on a bracket. Does that seem like the right way of doing things to you?

That is a whole other perspective that i have never thought of. I like it a lot.

Okay so the 64 man tournament tonight...What did you like? What didn't you like? Any suggestions for future improvements? Feedback is appreciated! I also want to thank the players for being really patient with the whole process of roll call/ the first round, it's much appreciated and helped it run smoothly. 

Would be nice to have these every now and then, but not for every tournament. 

or even 24-25...

This pretty much let players choose their IVs in the range of 24-25 except speed being 30-31. It would also make it much easier to select a comp shiny prize.

Also 4 and a half hours for a 64 man ain't bad.

Edited by ThinkNice

Okay so the 64 man tournament tonight...What did you like? What didn't you like? Any suggestions for future improvements? Feedback is appreciated! I also want to thank the players for being really patient with the whole process of roll call/ the first round, it's much appreciated and helped it run smoothly. 

How long did it take?