Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

As promised, I am posting the outcome of the discussion between staff members about the recent issues brought up regarding events.

Regarding Time Clause, we have decided that we are not going to deviate from how it is currently. Unfortunately time plays a big

part against us in tournaments, this is both from a staff and player perspective.

We simply cannot let a match go on for hours, especially one that occurs in the second or third round, this would hold up the tournament for the other players and we do not feel that this is fair.

Time Clause will continue to not be enforced in the Semi Finals or Final round, however.

We hope that you understand that this was a difficult decision to make but we feel that it is the best one given the circumstances we are currently in.

Regarding 64 man tournaments, we will not be making these a standard for tournaments and tournaments will continue to have a 32 man bracket size. However, this does not mean that we will not be running any at all. I am certainly interested and enthusiastic about hosting more 64 man tournaments in the future and I am really excited about my UU 64 man coming up on Sunday.

The Spring Championships will continue to be 32 man bracket sizes as this is what it was originally laid out as and we feel that 10 chances to get in a bracket is very realistic and possible. This does not mean that we are ignoring your feedback or the amount of sign ups that the first qualifier had received, this will all be very much taken into account for any possible future Masters-esque tournament series.

Regarding the AFK Clause, after much discussion we have decided to trial the removal of this clause from Semi Finals and Finals battles. This means that participants will need referee approval to press the AFK button if you are duelling in any of these rounds. The AFK Clause will remain for Rounds 1-3. Again, the purpose behind this is the time constraints that we are under when hosting and playing in tournaments.

Thank you for your understanding and I hope to see many of you in our upcoming tournaments.

Art Contest: 

"Draw a champion! Previous first, and second place tournament winners can post an in game screenshot of their trainers and with their favourite Pokemon. Multiple Pokemon can be posted. Artists pick their favourite in game characters and their favourite champions of the present and distant past and bring the character to life alongside one or more of their Pokemon. Shinys are welcome, as well as their favourite competitive mons!" 

This will bring the art community and the competitive community together in a way like never before. This is an art contest that will have some relevance to the game as well. :) 

Recommended judging concepts:

Style: Is it consistent? Is it unique? 

Theme: Is the image of an in game trainer and their Pokemon? Does it depict them as a champion? Does it reflect the sprite? Do additional details add to the trainer in a positive way? Is the image based off a qualifying submitted screenshot? 

etc

I would suggest giving our "champions" a week or two to submit screenshots... OR just let people get a hold of their own screenshots (recent or from the distant past). I would also suggest allowing artists to depict their own character if they have come in first or second in an official. All tournaments should qualify, including gimmicks because this could make for an even more unique champion (picture Clefairy cup winners being all kawaii and such). 

Thoughts? 

Please don't remove the afk rule from finals or semi finals. That gives staff too much of a subjective influence on matches. Afk rule is straightforward and is easy to abide by.

The AFK rule is not easy to abide by - players don't even know exactly when they are and aren't abiding by it unless theyre timing their moves via third party.

Moreso than any other round, the finals and semifinals have decisions which may take a player all 75 seconds, or more, to make - this shouldn't be an instant loss, which is what you're suggesting. Rather, if the opponent complains to the ref, the ref will remind them to watch their time per move, and repeated abuses of this will likely result in a DQ (though I would hope even in this case, it wouldn't. No one should lose a semifinal/final match unless they cheat, or are beat, imo).

I don't really see this as subjective, it's just a safety net until devs solve the real problem

The AFK rule is not easy to abide by - players don't even know exactly when they are and aren't abiding by it unless theyre timing their moves via third party.

Moreso than any other round, the finals and semifinals have decisions which may take a player all 75 seconds, or more, to make - this shouldn't be an instant loss, which is what you're suggesting. Rather, if the opponent complains to the ref, the ref will remind them to watch their time per move, and repeated abuses of this will likely result in a DQ (though I would hope even in this case, it wouldn't. No one should lose a semifinal/final match unless they cheat, or are beat, imo).

I don't really see this as subjective, it's just a safety net until devs solve the real problem

It's pretty easy to stay within a 75 second time frame. If you don't think you can calc in 75 seconds then I think you should take the pre-emptive steps to have multiple tabs open with the IVs and EVs of each of your pokemon prepared. That way you simply just have to add in your assumed opponents set and go from there. I suggest using the Smogon Calc for this since you can calc against multiple pokes there.

Personally, 75 seconds seems like a very long time and when this was first extended others felt the same way. If you are that worried then I think you should push the devs a bit harder than you (and the community) are to implement an in game timer. 

Allowing the refs to say "you may now dq your opponent by afk" is too subjective. It should be the case that you could afk any time or not at all. This reminds me of the refs implementing time clause for a match after 45 minutes then deciding not to do it in a different match that lasted longer than 45 minutes. Too much bias and situational complications can arise. 

Afk rule is fine as is. 

It's pretty easy to stay within a 75 second time frame. If you don't think you can calc in 75 seconds then I think you should take the pre-emptive steps to have multiple tabs open with the IVs and EVs of each of your pokemon prepared. That way you simply just have to add in your assumed opponents set and go from there. I suggest using the Smogon Calc for this since you can calc against multiple pokes there.

Personally, 75 seconds seems like a very long time and when this was first extended others felt the same way. If you are that worried then I think you should push the devs a bit harder than you (and the community) are to implement an in game timer. 

Allowing the refs to say "you may now dq your opponent by afk" is too subjective. It should be the case that you could afk any time or not at all. This reminds me of the refs implementing time clause for a match after 45 minutes then deciding not to do it in a different match that lasted longer than 45 minutes. Too much bias and situational complications can arise. 

Afk rule is fine as is. 

I've pushed the devs as hard as I can on implementing an in game timer. It's coming. In the meantime, how about we don't give every player a free advance button when their opponent uses 76 seconds to make a move? Don't we want semifinal and final matches won based on skill, not how quickly you can hit a button or how little thought you can put into your moves?

Step away from the "subjective staff calls" facade and use common sense here - I'm as against subjective staff decisions as much as the next guy, given their track record at tournaments, but it's the lesser of two evils here. Because of this rule, people are losing in tournaments when they're clearly ahead in the match

Plus, again, it doesn't seem like it'll be that subjective. The way I read it, there will essentially be no AFK clause in the semis and finals, unless one player is being really egregious with his time (which, he would have no reason to be, since Time clause also doesn't apply so he can't stall for a double DQ)

I've pushed the devs as hard as I can on implementing an in game timer. It's coming. In the meantime, how about we don't give every player a free advance button when their opponent uses 76 seconds to make a move? Don't we want semifinal and final matches won based on skill, not how quickly you can hit a button or how little thought you can put into your moves?

Step away from the "subjective staff calls" facade and use common sense here - I'm as against subjective staff decisions as much as the next guy, given their track record at tournaments, but it's the lesser of two evils here. Because of this rule, people are losing in tournaments when they're clearly ahead in the match

Plus, again, it doesn't seem like it'll be that subjective. The way I read it, there will essentially be no AFK clause in the semis and finals, unless one player is being really egregious with his time (which, he would have no reason to be, since Time clause also doesn't apply so he can't stall for a double DQ)

Your eagerness to debate is astounding my lawyer friend. Asking me to use common sense is going to force me to step away from this argument after my following comments.

Having to sit through a match while my opponent takes ~75 seconds per move, or more without an AFK clause, is going to drive me and others off the wall. We all already complain about jayfeatskydd and how long it takes him to take a move and it was a god send when the afk clause was implemented. Sure it's really fucking shitty when it gets used, but players know how long they have. If they're that paranoid then they can use a stop watch. I think every cell phone is packed with one these days. You don't need to calc every scenario under the sun to get a win. At least I hope you don't. 

Good luck man. 

My thing is, if 75 seconds was enough time, you wouldn't have people saying I was just calcing after getting DQ'd.(inb4 Liars)

But on the topic of the above posted:

If someone is legitimately taking their time that is a different story. There are players in tournaments, not AFK but actively calcing who have already devoted not just their tme into acquiring their comps, but depending on the round an hour or so into the tournament they are at, getting disqualified for taking 75 seconds to calc; and your response to them is You should Calc faster?

Take your AFK wins somewhere else and let us win in a COMPETITIVE manner. 

Furthermore, any "subjective staff calls" to be made are already better as they will more than likely be warnings of the the AFK button appearing more than 1 time. Which is already a match that would have ended to the previous rule.

Lest we forget the lack of the visible timer?

Afk rule is fine as is. 

I disagree.

Edited by jayfeatskydd

My thing is, if 75 seconds was enough time, you wouldn't have people saying I was just calcing after getting DQ'd.(inb4 Liars)

But on the topic of the above posted:

If someone is legitimately taking their time that is a different story. There are players in tournaments, not AFK but actively calcing who have already devoted not just their tme into acquiring their comps, but depending on the round an hour or so into the tournament they are at, getting disqualified for taking 75 seconds to calc; and your response to them is You should Calc faster?

Take your AFK wins somewhere else and let us in a COMPETITIVE manner. 

Furthermore, any "subjective staff calls" to be made are already better as they will more than likely be warnings of the the AFK button appearing more than 1 time. Which is already a match that would have ended to the previous rule.

Lest we forget the lack of the visible timer?

I disagree.

The rule is fine. The necessity for a timer persists though. And if competition means that you run scenarios on a pre-designed calculator throughout a match in order to gain an advantage then I guess I'm not getting it. I'd rather run calcs while I build my comps and have the information available to me from past experience. To each our own though. 

The necessity for a timer persists though.

Agreed

And if competition means that you run scenarios on a pre-designed calculator throughout a match in order to gain an advantage then I guess I'm not getting it. I'd rather run calcs while I build my comps and have the information available to me from past experience.

Gonna call Black-or-White on this. Most serious comp players(As far as I am concerned) use calcs of some kind while building his comps. That being said, not only will you not remember all your calcs off the top of your head, as you'll be put in situations where the calc is not as simple as "Does this 1HKO" but rather, will your -1 superpower kill Steelix from that specific HP range(ex). you will always find new damage calcs to be done.  I wouldn't refer to being outplayed an entire match and pulling a win out because my opponent took a little over a miniute to calc as competitive by any means of the situation but, 

To each our own

Edited by jayfeatskydd

I agree with DoubleJ in terms of officials and calculations. I think once you played the official you should be focused on your battle and not make calcs - you have time to do your research and homework before the offcial, to see how much damage your pokemon should take, and how much they should inflict. More experienced players already have a sense for such calculations, but I guess some people are control freaks (nothing wrong with being one). But I find it a bit unfair for a player who knows his calcs to wait around for his opponent to calculate each move, every turn.

In VGC people are given 45 seconds per turn. And the format is doubles. You don't have to take one of your moves and one of your opponent's moves in account, but two on each side and different combinations. Why can those players do it and we can't? Maybe we are just not as good as we think we are.

However, having a hidden timer is not good, and I would rather bear for a while for a calculating opponent until it comes.

PS: I've been AFK'd twice, even if I generally play very fast. Once by a well established comp player and the second time by DoctorPBC.

Edited by OldKeith

I agree with DoubleJ in terms of officials and calculations. I think once you played the official you should be focused on your battle and not make calcs - you have time to do your research and homework before the offcial, to see how much damage your pokemon should take, and how much they should inflict. More experienced players already have a sense for such calculations, but I guess some people are control freaks (nothing wrong with being one). But I find it a bit unfair for a player who knows his calcs to wait around for his opponent to calculate each move, every turn.

In VGC people are given 45 seconds per turn. And the format is doubles. You don't have to take one of your moves and one of your opponent's moves in account, but two on each side and different combinations. Why can those players do it and we can't? Maybe we are just not as good as we think we are.

However, having a hidden timer is not good, and I would rather bear for a while for a calculating opponent until it comes.

PS: I've been AFK'd twice, even if I generally play very fast. Once by a well established comp player and the second time by DoctorPBC.

Exactly this. Thanks keith.

it's near impossible to sign up for events on time when the forums time is wrong, you dont have any way to check forums time other then posting, and test posting is against the rules + blocks you form posting.

if the forums time and the in game time would both be correct and line up exactly that would make it significantly better (thou still not a good way to do it imo)

it's near impossible to sign up for events on time when the forums time is wrong, you dont have any way to check forums time other then posting, and test posting is against the rules + blocks you form posting.

if the forums time and the in game time would both be correct and line up exactly that would make it significantly better (thou still not a good way to do it imo)

Go to your profile, refresh the page after going there, see the last active time- repeat any time you want to check what the forum time is.

Can someone explain me again why a shiny competitive prize does not give us the option to choose the hidden power? That does not really make much sense because:

-the comp is already penalized by having 5 ivs reduced by 6 points from the maximum

-the opponents will know your hidden power anyway so you lose the surprise element

-some shiny competitive pokemon are just no good without hidden power

-why not make all shiny comps equally viable? I understand they cannot be perfect, but at least do not penalize their sets...

We cannot get egg moves anyway, but being able to get everything else would be nice. And actually why not egg moves too? Is that too much to ask?

Edited by OldKeith

Can someone explain me again why a shiny competitive prize does not give us the option to choose the hidden power? That does not really make much sense because:

-the comp is already penalized by having 5 ivs reduced by 6 points from the maximum

-the opponents will know your hidden power anyway so you lose the surprise element

-some shiny competitive pokemon are just no good without hidden power

-why not make all shiny comps equally viable? I understand they cannot be perfect, but at least do not penalize their sets...

We cannot get egg moves anyway, but being able to get everything else would be nice. And actually why not egg moves too? Is that too much to ask?

I dont see any harm  letting winner decide the hp of the shiny prize.For example would be nice if winner decide the shinys  ivs from a scale of 25-28  for all ivs ,so he gets the hp he wants,or something similar to that..

I dont see any harm  letting winner decide the hp of the shiny prize.For example would be nice if winner decide the shinys  ivs from a scale of 25-28  for all ivs ,so he gets the hp he wants,or something similar to that..

or even 24-25...

Something else really needs to happen with sign ups imo.

I hate to say it bc people are going to rage at this suggestion but if you arent going to do 64 man torunies maybe you should keep tabs on who is consistantly making it on the bracket and who is not and let those who have been on fewer brackets have priority. Between my schedule and the fact that it takes me at least 30 sec to post means i will never be able to make it to one of these spring inventationals. While you can say its just my shitty luck with my internet, but others have busy scedules too and can only make it to a few tournies. If in those few torunies they have shitty luck and dont get on the bracket then what is even the point of playing this game for them?