[PSL XIV] PokeMMO Super League Season 14 - Manager Registration Thread

IGN: Endiii
Motivation: I'd like to try this new experience, there's no harm in trying, i'm gonna give less known players chances to shine, i want to prove that not only pokemmo boomers can be good managers new gens should get a chance and i'm not gonna buy players bcs they are nice, funny etc... i'll buy who i believe will perform good. I'm gonna be the Julian Nagelsmann of PokeMMO ^-^
PSL as player: PSL 13 Trashtalking taillows
PSL as manager: none

22 minutes ago, Endirei said:

IGN: Endiii
Motivation: I'd like to try this new experience, there's no harm in trying, i'm gonna give less known players chances to shine, i want to prove that not only pokemmo boomers can be good managers new gens should get a chance and i'm not gonna buy players bcs they are nice, funny etc... i'll buy who i believe will perform good. I'm gonna be the Julian Nagelsmann of PokeMMO ^-^
PSL as player: PSL 13 Trashtalking taillows
PSL as manager: none

2021 --> (2 wins + 1 second place) x 1= 2.5

PSL 13 --> (2 wins - 1 lose)/7 = 0.143

Banned/Released: No (x1)
Won a season as manager: No (x1)

(2.5+0.143)x1x1= 2.643 = D tier Candidate

Would you guys be interested in the following:

• Candidates from the same tier may challenge each other in OU, UU, NU or Dubs duels
  • The winner of a challenge will steal up to 4 points from the loser
  • The challenge must be Bo3 and the tiers must be decided by the two players

Let me know if this idea should be considered or if it is terrible.

For instance, in the D tier, we have Daryl with 0.86 pts, Pachima with 0 pts, Endii with 2.64 pts and Quinn with 1.45 pts.

Let's say Quinn and Daryl decide to challenge each other for 0.86 pts (the maximum available) and Quinn wins the Bo3; Quinn would then have 2.31 pts and Daryl would have 0 pts.

Quinn would then be able to challenge Endii for 2.31 pts; if Quinn wins the Bo3 vs Endii, Endii would then have 0.33 pts and Quinn would then have 4.62 pts. 

This would allow Quinn to go from D tier to C tier. 

Edit: I fear this could be easily exploited, so it probably needs more thoughts.

Edited by gbwead
52 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Would you guys be interested in the following:

• Candidates from the same tier may challenge each other in OU, UU, NU or Dubs duels
  • The winner of a challenge will steal up to 4 points from the loser
  • The challenge must be Bo3 and the tiers must be decided by the two players

Let me know if this idea should be considered or if it is terrible.

This sounds fun. 

Also I agree the score should be used for 4 or 5 out of 8 spots and the remainder be decided in some other way. Because:

• Playing more tournaments does not necesarely make you a better player: even when I actively played MMO, I rarely ever joined automated tournaments. If you counted my HoF entries I most likely wouldnt even be top 10 in dubs. yet I won 3x best dubs and 2x mvp between the past 3 PSLs and 2 WCs.

• Being a good player does not necesarely make you a good manager: Again, I will put myself as the example. I won a lot in PSL and Team Tournaments. Yet the one time I managed, I finished 7th.  Regarding the current candidates and their respective calculated scores, there are one or two players in the top 8 that I know are amazing players, but based on my previous interactions with them, I know for a fact they wouldnt be great managers.

• There are qualities that would make great managers which are not quantifiable: Kay and Pachima being C and D tier shows that: Kay is one of the smartest players I know, and most importantly, he is a very dedicated and reasonable person (the later quality being very important because it facilitates comunication within the team they'd manage, as well as comunication with the host / councilmen). Pachima won PSL with a roster that predictions said would be one of the weakest. He is not my favorite player or person but you can't deny he is dedicated and he somehow makes the weirdest things work.

• There should be room for upcoming talent: The Chinese community represents a decent chunk of the competitive scene (as far as automated tournaments go), but they have stayed away from PSL so far. I don't know who heichicoda is, so I will talk about the players I knew from a year ago. Imagine BabyLo signed up as a potential manager, he probably wouldnt have enough points, but the fact that he built and led the most accoladed Chinese team (who at the time were winning, I'd say 1 in 4 automated tournaments), would be reason enough for me to pick him and try and get the communities closer. 

Ofcourse I'm not saying let's pick randomly, and I actually like the gb is using a mathematical criteria so the process is more transparent and unbiased. But I think we should only use this for at most half of the spots, as many other valuable characteristics escape the scope of what you can represent in a formula.

Edited by iJulian
1 minute ago, DoubleJ said:

You're system would be flawed with upper tier managerial candidates refusing to fight because they have nothing to gain and then lower tier candidates throwing to give their mates extra points. 

I don't see any problem with high tier candidates refusing to play tho since it's up to them if they want to risk their pts or not. Anyways, I don't think there is anything that can be done about lower tier candidates potentially throwing to each other, so probably not a good idea.

IGN: Cali

Motivation: Statistically, I’m aware I’m probably in the lowest tier because I currently exclusively play scavenger hunts (<winning an official shiny in the time it takes to sign up for an official tournament), and I was chosen to manage in the past but prioritized my own wins (most manager wins in PSL 12) to gain respect for myself over focusing on team building and cohesion, which I believe I learned to improve the following season working with Sebat (3rd place finish in PSL 13). With managers now being able to play and their games holding more weight than previously, I’d like to see what I can accomplish by combining the positive aspects from my experiences the last 2 seasons.

PSL seasons in which you participated as a player: 10, 11

PSL seasons in which you participated as a manager: 12, 13 (co but couldn’t play so yeah)

Also: @gbwead

While this is a somewhat serious signup, I mainly wanted to bring light to @pachima's current scoring calculation. I'm sure he dislikes me every other day, but this doesn't take away from the fact that he's an excellent manager and deserves a fair evaluation while he seeks a 3rd PSL title in 3 attempts as a manager (name someone else who's won 2/2 and cast aside this easily in a signup for 3/3, I'll wait). Because of this, I propose to take responsibility and ownership of the x0 multiplier if it means he's not judged by anything other than hard merit, because he's clearly dedicated as hell and, love him or hate him, always finds a way to win. 

Spoiler

image.png.70b74ffece2c030828766f4dedc88ef0.png

12 minutes ago, calidubstep said:

Also: @gbwead

While this is a somewhat serious signup, I mainly wanted to bring light to @pachima's current scoring calculation. I'm sure he dislikes me every other day, but this doesn't take away from the fact that he's an excellent manager and deserves a fair evaluation while he seeks a 3rd PSL title in 3 attempts as a manager (name someone else who's won 2/2 and cast aside this easily in a signup for 3/3, I'll wait). Because of this, I propose to take responsibility and ownership of the x0 multiplier if it means he's not judged by anything other than hard merit, because he's clearly dedicated as hell and, love him or hate him, always finds a way to win. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.70b74ffece2c030828766f4dedc88ef0.png

Since I was host in PSL 12, I know both you and Pachima share responsability for Pachima getting released. If both of you agree, I can change the x0 multiplier that affects only Pachima for x0.5 multiplier that will affect both of you. Tbh, I am not even sure Pachima was seriously signing up, he would have to fill the template properly if he wants me to calc his score.

17 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Since I was host in PSL 12, I know both you and Pachima share responsability for Pachima getting released. If both of you agree, I can change the x0 multiplier that affects only Pachima for x0.5 multiplier that will affect both of you. Tbh, I am not even sure Pachima was seriously signing up, he would have to fill the template properly if he wants me to calc his score.

Regardless on how the multiplier for winning works (if the 2x is applied just once despite a player winning twice), you're still definitely crippling a player who you know doesn't play tournaments by potentially nullifying the fact that he won this event 2/2. I agree that he needs to have a serious signup to be scored at all, but there obviously isn't any point in doing so if you're either going to give him an automatic 0 or halve him into C-D range, where you have the autonomy to pick anyone "scored" above him. 

7 minutes ago, calidubstep said:

Regardless on how the multiplier for winning works (if the 2x is applied just once despite a player winning twice), you're still definitely crippling a player who you know doesn't play tournaments by potentially nullifying the fact that he won this event 2/2. I agree that he needs to have a serious signup to be scored at all, but there obviously isn't any point in doing so if you're either going to give him an automatic 0 or halve him into C-D range, where you have the autonomy to pick anyone "scored" above him. 

It's easy to be a good manager/player when all is going well. When everything is not going well, that's when you see who is a good manager/player and who is a quitter. I don't care if Pachima won before, I'm not going to give a former quitter no penalty. You can either share that penalty with him since you are a big part of why he quit or he can take on the penalty by himself. 

bidenwead4a.jpg.ed1894b3a17e3f0b969b979b4c68119b.jpg

1. Implements rigged system to try and reban players that already served their sentence

2. Pisses off people trying to ban scum players by telling them he's going to unban them regardless

3. Asks players to hand him 30m even though he says their bids won't matter

4. Refuses to allow arguably the best manager ever (2x champion what?!) a chance to manage again

5. Negates anyone who isn't active a chance to manage, despite their history and accomplishments

6. Tries to claim he's not biased but clearly is

7. Has probably the worst prize pool to date when you consider inflation

8. Tries to elect a small council to reduce bias, but only after he makes all the decisions already

9. Flamed past hosts for too much drama then creates some of the most drama PSL has ever seen before the season even starts

10. Cheated in an official and got kicked from TC

What am I missing?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.