Suggestion: Can we please get legendaries? I have some thoughts on it.

catgirlswag

Question

Hi, I'm a big fan of this mmo, but was extremely disheartened to find that there was no Articuno when I went into the cave and solved the rock puzzle near cinnarbar island. They're such a pretty pokemon and I was so excited to use my master ball to catch her (yes i was willing to use a master ball for this, as I was a bit underleveled and out of certain status moves I hoped to use, and I LOVE articuno and didn't want to risk losing them through combat). Anyways, in this post I'm generally working off the pseudo-assumption (as I've read in forums at least) that the decision not to have legendaries in the game yet is due to them being overpowered in pvp. Obviously we wouldn't want a boring meta where the only pokemon ppl ever used were legendaries, or at least we wouldn't want players to feel like they HAD to get legendaries to play competitively. Alternatively there may be a motive to keep these pokemon more rare and event based like the mewtwo encounter, which could either be for lore reasons, pvp reasons, or some overlap between the two.

This is generally me spitballing solutions/ideas to the problem, and isn't a singular design vision. I'm intentionally leaving this open for the devs to decide, though I would happily help code any of this if extra help were needed. I'm disabled and as a result have lots of time on my hands and no issues donating that time to helping projects I love. I'm typing this all without having personally talked to the team on this though so I'm making a set of assumptions and trying to be clear about that. I don't know the teams full motivations on any of this and am speculating and responding to some potential reasons legendaries may not be in the game so far

Assuming this is strictly for pvp reasons, one fairly simple solution to this would be to make it so that when you go into pvp combat with a legendary, the legendary pokemon will disobey and just off itself on the first turn, like when a pokemon would disobey for being too high level. There are also other solutions such as strictly disallowing pvp combat when a player has a legendary, or having two type of combat for classic (no legendaries) vs wild (anything goes), etc. tho i'd personally probably generally be cautious with overcomplicating systems I guess.

In terms of how available legendaries would be to players in the public (largely regarding/impacting lore reasons I guess): I would love for the team to make the legendaries widely available to every player. There seems to be a desire, at least in some parts of the community I've seen so far, for this. Assuming we could catch them, I personally don't mind if they were very high level and hard to get for lore reasons. but my point here is that I would LOVE the chance to at least capture one legendary I actually want, if not all. If, for example, you could only catch legendaries with a master ball, that would mean you could only catch one legendary per zone playthrough, limiting your options, and making legendaries feel more special for lore reasons. Alternatively, and this is personally my least favorite option, the team could be reallyyyyyyyyy strict on the "lore" here and make every single legendary into its own event pokemon like mewtwo where there's only one that exists in the wild and players can take turns capturing it. Personally, I would love if I could KEEP a small number of legendaries I love, compared to capturing them only for a small period of time. 

So, in summary. I think there's a few options here, tho there may be more I haven't thought of. 

In terms of making legendaries widely available:
---1.1: make it like any other pokemon game where you can catch them all
---1.2: make it like any other pokemon game where you can catch them all, but it's much more difficult, due to level and catch rate
---1.3: limit the number of legendaries any trainer can have by only allowing them to be caught with master balls (and making sure masterballs/legendaries are untradable)
---1.4: (my least favorite option personally); make every pokemon a unique event type pokemon where you can only capture it for a short period of time before it returns to the wild
---1.x: literally any other solutions

in terms of pvp combat solutions
---2.1: make legendaries off them selves in the first turn in pvp through disobey
---2.2: disallow pvp if player has legendary on team
---2.3: make classic *no legendaries* and wild *anything goes* into two different pvp categories
---2.4: make legendary pokemon simply not show up on a team if you enter pvp combat
---2.x: literally any other solutions

I've also heard mention that the legendaries may be added with some kind of dungeon system, but I'd really hope we wouldn't have to wait so long for it to come with what could just be a separate update. I feel an emotional attachment to my pokemon team and would feel sad to leave this mmo world, but I feel very disheartened knowing I can never complete my caught pokedex, no matter how hard I try and how much effort I put in. I hope we can see some changes which make the server more friendly to players whose emotions are influenced by their obsessive completionist desires such as myself ?  Anyways, I realize this was a long post, and as sloppy as my writing may be, I put a lot of though and effort into this so thank you so much for your time in reading this ^_^

Edited by catgirlswag

9 answers to this question

legendaries are disabled because they are op, not just for pvp but they could also be used to plow through trainer battles/gym rebattles/elite4 rebattles/story meaning easy money farm/xp farm/bp farm/anything farm. if they were enabled, they would have to make the owner receive no money/exp/items/anything making the game an easy npc battle sim (probably not fun for most people). anyone with a legendary would just put them back in the pc after they realize the legendary makes their battles pointless so the legendaries just become wasted space in the box. plus if everyone had a legendary it would look ridiculous with 30 people walking around vermillion city with giant dragons behind them

1 hour ago, Jaden said:

legendaries are disabled because they are op, not just for pvp but they could also be used to plow through trainer battles/gym rebattles/elite4 rebattles/story meaning easy money farm/xp farm/bp farm/anything farm. if they were enabled, they would have to make the owner receive no money/exp/items/anything making the game an easy npc battle sim (probably not fun for most people). anyone with a legendary would just put them back in the pc after they realize the legendary makes their battles pointless so the legendaries just become wasted space in the box. plus if everyone had a legendary it would look ridiculous with 30 people walking around vermillion city with giant dragons behind them

(Edit: I think I misunderstood your comment initially, I will try to come back to this and fix my reply later. But, for now, keep in mind that this is in some ways based on a fundamental misunderstanding of what you said)

Thanks for a reply! I do think that's a very fair point, and I appreciate you reading my post and bringing up this valid critique. Though, I do think that may be more an argument for limiting legendaries (say, through making them only capturable with a master ball and untradeable, so you could only carry a limited number. I don't know if that's necessarily a reason to just flat out remove certain legendaries from the game the way it is now. I'll admit I haven't even tried gym rebattles yet as i've only recently started playing this again (I think I quit last time a few years ago due to no legendaries too, tho i forgot until recently), but I generally think this game is already pretty "easy". Farming money seems "easy". Rebattles seem "easy". Etc. Idk. Like, to me, it already is an easy npc battle sim and I personally want to be able to form a full collection. I'm super into collecting. I still think allowing all of them would be preferable to collectors than only allowing mewtwo/rayquaza (pokemon I do love, but aren't my favorite like articuno). I personally wouldn't mind seeing people with whatever pokemon they wanted following them, even if a lot of players chose to only show their legendaries for some reason. I generally really want to see an mmo rpg pokemon game where you actually can "collect them all" rather than having to buy a bunch of cartridges and do limited irl events, etc. etc. (or using modded single player games + cheats which just feel bad in comparison to more genuine social experiences) Like I'd love to have a game where any player can go in and "collect them all" if they want to and if they have the time to put all of the required effort in. And that effort feels especially rewarding in an mmo environment with other players around to socialize with and be like "yo0o look i got some cool pokemon im rly happy to show u" "ive put all this time and work into collecting and want to show my friends on here" etc. etc. There's a lot of solutions I guess and it all generally depends on design goals

I understand legendaries being op. Maybe make them less so? (even undertuning them to make them technically weaker than others would be ok with me but idk lol) I literally just like them for their designs and being really pretty and me wanting to collect them all, and I would suspect I'm not the only player with those desires. Though maybe the devs aren't aiming to appeal to players like myself, which is fine. Ppl play in different ways. But as a collector and someone who just really loves articuno and was excited and then disappointed, I'm just generally disappointed I guess and am looking for some kind of solution here which wouldn't cause issues for some other players who may prefer to interact with the game in other ways? 

(tho ill admit making legendaries less op would also remove a power fantasy some players may desire from legenaries, which may be better suited for event type legendaries like mewtwo. Idk. this stuff hard yo)

I'll definitely admit this isn't exactly a simple problem with a simple solution, but I don't think that necessarily means there's no possible solutions. I will continue to ponder on this myself and personally welcome further discussion on the topic

Edited by catgirlswag

there would be other things to include in the game, such as the famous hidden abilities, but this one of the legendaries, if you are a collector rather than a fighter, may be a fair request.
In my opinion the solution lies not in being able to keep Articuno, for example, but in capturing it and keeping it in a King of the Hill mode like Mewtwo or Rayquaza.

Keeping them would be less poetic for the legendaries, who are practically free even in the pokemon stories.

Legends are a complex issue due to a lot of the reasons mentioned above, but they touch on another issue this game has which is a bit unrelated to gameplay - lack of communication from the development team.

Years ago, they teased a dungeon feature that would include legendary Pokemon and hidden abilities (which the competitive scene is in dire need of) but they have given us very little information or updates on this feature. A few years ago, Darkshade had mentioned he completed the first map for dungeons, and as far as I'm aware, that was the last we ever heard of the feature. They don't give us any ETAs on updates, or information on what they're working on. Since they first mentioned dungeons, they've added new regions, PvP features, and even a mobile version of the game. There is really no telling where they are on this feature, or if it's in their plans at all. 

The last we heard from the team was in May, when Kyu mentioned they were working on more PvP-related things and they weren't sure what they doing beyond that. Not knowing what they're doing or if dungeons are still a priority makes it very difficult to create ideas for how to implement these features, so we're pretty much stuck waiting on them to do/say something. 

48 minutes ago, Goldsz said:

there would be other things to include in the game, such as the famous hidden abilities, but this one of the legendaries, if you are a collector rather than a fighter, may be a fair request.
In my opinion the solution lies not in being able to keep Articuno, for example, but in capturing it and keeping it in a King of the Hill mode like Mewtwo or Rayquaza.

Keeping them would be less poetic for the legendaries, who are practically free even in the pokemon stories.

I guess I'm not sure how I feel about the king of the hill mode. I don't necessarily mind it, but part of it also puts me in this mindset of "oh sheesh I'll never get this one with all these other players going for it and even if I camp around and spend time waiting for it I can still lose out and feel like I burned a bunch of time (maybe that's ok tho, i mean they are "legendary" and I don't mind games feeling hard). I don't mind some system generally to make legendaries hard to obtain. And I don't necessarily mind them eventually leaving back into the wild. I'm just not sure if limiting it to one of each legendary per server is the only way of achieving that. I could see for example having the legendaries spawn on randomized timers like world bosses in classic wow for example then leaving your party/pc after x number of days (maybe randomized also?) so it's not feeling like it's permanent. (tho we'd need a solution to not have duplicate legendaries, like maybe players with a certain legendary currently in their team/pc don't see the spawn? but that would be a tiny bit more complicated coding wise maybe? probably still doable)

Like you can have it spawn every 2ish days or some arbitrary length which would make them feel more scarce and only one person in that period of time can catch it, but then it may stay with you for like a week or something. And while you have it, you don't see the other spawns, though other people who don't have it still can. The ratio between the number of days it takes for something to spawn and how long it stays with you once caught would be the number of that legendary currently in use. (ie. 2 days spawn, 6 days keep, would mean 3 players at any given time could have a legendary and it would be something they would briefly get to keep for a few days without necessarily withholding it as much from other players) I'm not sure about active player numbers/server size and all but you could imagine such a system adjusting dynamically based on player activity. When there's more players online for a given month it could update. So if you have 1mil players online (may be generous but I'm just choosing an arbitrarily high number for sake of argument), rather than having simply one mewtwo between 1mil players, you could choose an arbitrary but low percentage of players able to keep a mewtwo at the same time. Tho again, this may be a negative impact on lore while aiming for a hopefully positive impact on gameplay. This kind of thinking is all just based on a fear that with arbitrarily high numbers of players, having single legendaries may be a bit limiting from a gameplay/fun perspective. But idk. Just brainstorming there

As a collector I would be totally happy with some kind of solution along these lines. Though I'm not sure how it may impact players who play the game for the sake of fighting/pvp. I wouldn't want systems necessarily encouraging ppl to constantly sit around waiting for a specific spawn in order to feel like they were playing competitively.

General idea there I guess is based around whether the "leaving your party" and "spawning in the wild" mechanics should be totally separate or inherently linked, whether or not you keep both mechanics

Edited by catgirlswag

Most legendaries aren't that OP, but it does seem as though the devs have been reluctant to add them. They want to make the conditions for obtaining them something most players can't achieve through normal means. Dungeons were implied to be the way that they would allow for the non-OP Legendaries to be caught and usable in PVE/PVP, but...it's hard to keep on believing that the dungeons update will ever come to pass.

As for me, i am very satisfied with how the pokemmo staff are handling the legendaries.

We must remember that we are talking about super rare or, in some cases, unique pokemon (like Mewtwo).

So it wouldn't make much sense for the whole pokemmo community to have a Mewtwo, when there is only one.

As for the only super rare ones (like Zapdos) I would say that seeing the whole community of pokemmo with a zapdos is likely but not pleasant here.

The only advice about these super rare legendary pokemon is: give them a shiny-like spawn rate, maybe even more.

P.s. yes, Mewtwo is unique, like dialga and palkia (if we don't consider those of other multiverses)

I personally like the King of the Hill method put in place for Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Keldeo and Arceus. I would love it if they would allow us to to fly/surf/teleport with the legendary in tow so we could do "normal" play with the legendary. This would also make it so there are more "sightnings" of the legendary pokemons.

I think it would be cool if they'd allow us to take for example Mewtwo into Hoenn and use it to help capture Rayquaza and so on...an awesome achievement would be to be able to capture all 4 Mythical Pokemon.

As far as adding additional legendary pokemon I sure hope they are working on it, it's part of the mystic of the Pokemon World no doubt. In my opinion they should keep the rule of 1 per server...these are "Legendary" pokemon there is not 2 Zapdos and 2 Articunos in the world...so keep them 1 per server no doubt!

If you want a Legendary pokemon you have to put a legendary effort into it. 

They could however make it different from the current existing "Mythical" level pokemon. The current ones have the rules "

Mechanics

Each region has a single legendary that can be found in the wild. If you catch one, it'll replace your last party slot, a notification will be sent across your region, and you'll be forced to accept any duel requests. If you lose, the winner takes the ownership, and so on.

Legendaries always appear as followers and they prevent you from using Escape Rope, Fly, Teleport and switching channels or regions. Logging out or transferring it to your PC will make it run away back into the wild.", taken from 

The "regular legendaries" could have softer rules.

Definetely keep the "Logging out or transferring it to your PC will make it run away back into the wild." seeing as there always has to be the legendary in the game. You can't just box it...or log out and staying logged off denying this pokemon from the rest of the server!

The dungeon ideas sound cool but we'll have to wait and see how they roll with it (or not) but I hope we don't all get to keep the legendary pokemons...

I wish they would make events with the legendary mons in mind. That would be a good way for "everyone" to catch it and use it...inside an instanced area...and once you leave the instance/dungeon you would release it back into the wild.

This would be a way for everyone to interact with their favorite legendary pokemon for a while. So many amazing ideas come to mind...

Having 3 friends go into a dungeon and each has to go catch a legendary bird and then all 3 teamup for a triples battle against Lugia or something....

The sky is the limit...

As far as PvP.....keep legendaries away from it...because then we have to talk about natures...IV's...breeding...we don't want that hassle, PvP is fine the way it is...it just needs some love in the form of hidden abilities and other issues...but it definetely does not need Legendaries

Just my 2 cents