Why not make elections for the TC ?

MadaraSixSix

Question

Hi everyone, I was thinking of something:

The other day, I saw that the current TC was not very appreciated by the community. Why not elect members of the TC with elections? This way, if TC members frustrate players, players won't be able to say anything since they are the ones that put them there.

There are votes to decide who will be managers for PSL, so why not do the same?

The candidates would have to accomplish something recent in PvP (tournaments, ladder, etc.) if they logically want to evaluate each tiers.

And I believe each year, we would get a reset (new elections) in order to avoid being stuck with inactive TC members.

The idea can probably be better, I thought of it briefly the other day. I doubt something that make so much sense would ever happen, but I still wanted to share my vision.

9 answers to this question

I agree with your suggestion that TC members should be picked by the community who they are representing, although there should be certain rules / guidelines which enable a player to be eligible to vote their opinion (similar to when people apply to become staff).

For example, players:

• Must have played in xxx amount of tours / ladder games
  • Must have a minimum of xxx hours
  • Must be in a team on MMO (PvE or PvP)

Regarding the timeframes, potentially these 'elections' could be hosted after every 1-2 tier shifts (3-6 months)?

I do have one flaw with your suggestion though:

33 minutes ago, MadaraSixSix said:

The candidates would have to accomplish something recent in PvP (tournaments, ladder, etc.) if they logically want to evaluate each tiers.

Although I agree that accomplishments should be a merit, I would much rather have someone with a range of theory craft knowledge and experience share their input where they can back it up with relevant calculations (similar to what Havsha did) as although ladders and tournaments are impressive, we know that ladder is basically a spam-fest and tours are difficult, but as someone mentioned a player reached back-to-back finals by using a Kings Rock Cloyster.

Overall I agree with your suggestion, but there would definitely need some more logistics around it.

Edited by Imperial

Tier council members definitely need competitive accolades, especially if we were to vote on who joins. There would need to be objective criteria or metrics that the public could reference, otherwise the votes would be entirely arbitrary and subjective.

And I say that as someone who has no accolades - I’m not an idiot and I know how to play, but I wouldn’t dare step into a role of that responsibility because I don’t have the track record to back myself. It’s like asking a League 1 football manager to be a pundit for the World Cup - fundamentally they know how to play football and how to manage a team, but what credibility and experience would they have? No one would take them seriously.

You also wouldn’t be able to hold an election on a third-party platform because people will always find ways to rig it. It would have to be through a bespoke system implemented directly into the game, and we all know the likelihood of that happening.

E: I really agree with the cyclical reset idea though. But I’m not sure that fits their agenda ??‍♂️

Edited by Zymogen
8 hours ago, RysPicz said:

At this point I would just literally disband tierlist council because they are useless to that degree and let the players with highest ELO/ competitive tours wins vote ingame for a potential drop of a pokemon to a lower tier

How about no. 

Being good at a game doesn't mean you can be good at making decisions for a community and not for yourself and your interests. Picking random high ELO players to do that (random because ELO also changes, within and between seasons/tiers/activity... means many people able to take decisions and results in a mess and lack of consistency in tiers) is just not understanding the social aspect of the competitive game - making decisions together, having vision of the game not only from your experience, being able to communicate it well... 

I answer seriously but I'm not sure this idea was seriously put here and thought it would be clever, there are so many flaws in this. 

The election thing is a bit tricky, Zigh pointed out good points about the logistics of it. Still, I think being able to be "represented" is still best this way. I have trouble seeing the whole council being elected and it would be a mess. But maybe if there was like 2 spots on the council with people that were actually elected to voice out other players, idk. Tbh I don't think the community is mature enough for this not turning into personal or team wars and egos which would make the council (even) less efficient (heck, it's already the case now, and that's one of the reasons some people are unhappy). 

The competitive experience a thing, but also communicating just like Madara did. It's as much important to me.

13 hours ago, EricRasp said:

Democracy is a beautiful thing, but like every other system — it's flawed. 

Votes can be rigged and a majority of the player base don't use the forums. What we are seeing a very vocal minority. 

I agree it's not perfect, but the idea was better to me, than what is happening now

13 hours ago, Imperial said:

I agree with your suggestion that TC members should be picked by the community who they are representing, although there should be certain rules / guidelines which enable a player to be eligible to vote their opinion (similar to when people apply to become staff).

For example, players:

• Must have played in xxx amount of tours / ladder games
  • Must have a minimum of xxx hours
  • Must be in a team on MMO (PvE or PvP)

Regarding the timeframes, potentially these 'elections' could be hosted after every 1-2 tier shifts (3-6 months)?

I do have one flaw with your suggestion though:

Although I agree that accomplishments should be a merit, I would much rather have someone with a range of theory craft knowledge and experience share their input where they can back it up with relevant calculations (similar to what Havsha did) as although ladders and tournaments are impressive, we know that ladder is basically a spam-fest and tours are difficult, but as someone mentioned a player reached back-to-back finals by using a Kings Rock Cloyster.

Overall I agree with your suggestion, but there would definitely need some more logistics around it.

good idea for voting,

for the competition part, theory and knowledge is good but practice and credibility too

for me you should not just want a player who is good in tournaments or who has good knowledge and good calc it takes the total to be a good tc so knowledge, theory, practice, praise

for the cloyster player, it is not necessarily bad to have played against him, he just abuses something strong that shows that he understood how it is used to his maximum potential

so we agree the idea is not perfect, for that reason I posted it to talk about it and improve it,

but even this imperfect idea and for me better than the current state of things

I prefer to try to make an election like that is voted for credible players in my opinion

that to leave incompetent person to continue decided