Suggestion: Change Geodude's learnset (Remove Sand-Attack)

tg3

Question

Hello, I'm new - so, apologies if this has been said before, I tried to search the forum but didn't see anyone mentioning this.

In this game, Geodude learns Sand-Attack at Level 3. That's actually a problem for Geodude, and here's why...

He doesn't learn Rollout until Level 10, and the wild Geodudes in Mt. Moon haven't reached that level (according to the PokeMMO wiki they can get to level 10, but I've not yet seen any that are level 10, having battled around 20 or so I'm guessing) and so their moveset is:

Sand-Attack

Mud Sport

Bide

Rock Polish

Which means their only damaging move is Bide, which requires them to basically sleep for two turns, and then three useless moves.

It's like this because Tackle and Defense Curl are bumped off, since Geodude's learned 4 more moves by the time it hits level 6 - it's not possible to encounter (or capture) a Geodude (in this region, at this location) who has Tackle or Defense Curl.

On the wiki it shows Defense Curl as the first move, and Tackle as the second... which would mean if Geodude no longer learned Sand-Attack, he should still have Tackle when you get to Mt. Moon. It's possible those two moves are just in alphabetical order on the wiki, in which case he would actually have Defense Curl in place of Sand-Attack - which on its own is a worse move, but works better with Bide as your only form of doing damage. Sand-Attack actually seems to work against your goal if your only way to deal damage is Bide, increasing the likelihood you will deal less damage each time you use it.

It's worth mentioning that the only game (according to my research) where Geodude learns Sand-Attack is "Let's Go!," which if that's what all of the movesets in PokeMMO are based on, fine, I get it... although it's a surprising choice, considered by most to be such a weak game they don't even count it as part of the series. I just think something in Mt. Moon should be able to hurt you, haha. He does learn Rollout at 10 and become kind of beastly, but again I've never encountered one that could use that ability so they've just been free experience... just making me spam my move a few extra turns than usual.

Support? Thanks for reading!

EDIT: After thinking about it, Defense Curl kind of works against Bide too, I was wrong about that being more synergistic.

Edited by tg3

2 answers to this question

OK, so regarding the last bit, are the movesets based on Let's Go? Well, for the most part, no. Learnsets are generally based on generation 8, but Geodude didn't actually make it to generation 8, meaning we had to go off the next most recent main game in the series...Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Why does it learn Sand-Attack by level up then? Because the devs made it so if a pokemon could ever learn a move by level up in some game, it could learn it at that same level here. This of course leads to some awkwardness like Tentacool learning Water Gun at 22 like in generation 1 despite learning Water Pulse 6 levels prior, but for the most part, the more moves you can get by simply leveling up the better in my opinion.

Now back to the main topic, sure a moveset of Sand-Attack/Mud Sport/Bide/Rock Polish might be a poorer moveset, but why are you singling out Geodude? There have been several wild pokemon in official main series games that had even worse movesets, and I'm not talking about pokemon where that was the whole point like Abra or Magikarp either. At least it can actually kill some thing with Bide.

We weren't aware that its starting moveset was being generated like this, thanks for pointing it out. Next update it'll learn Tackle again at lv5 if it didn't already have it, ensuring that it's always caught with a proper damaging move.

This won't affect existing Geodudes, but anything caught afterwards should be usable. If you come across any other instances like this, please let us know.

13 hours ago, Kyklous said:

Now back to the main topic, sure a moveset of Sand-Attack/Mud Sport/Bide/Rock Polish might be a poorer moveset, but why are you singling out Geodude? There have been several wild pokemon in official main series games that had even worse movesets, and I'm not talking about pokemon where that was the whole point like Abra or Magikarp either. At least it can actually kill some thing with Bide.

Bad by design and bad by oversight aren't really comparable, Geodude is something you expect to actually be reliable. Anything appearing this early with an unusable moveset in the handhelds was likely an oversight on their part too.

Edited by Rache