Randoms Feedback / Discussion Thread

Rache

41 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

I have the same feelings as Bertolfoso. There seem to be an overwhelming amount of gimmicky sets, usually monoattacking, that are totally not fun (such as a wish/ protect/ heal bell/ lava plume flareon or iron defense, amnesia, scald, ice beam gorebyss) and are usually a completely wasted slot in the team. It's surely much more fun to have usable sets on both sides.

Also, I'm starting to get a little concerned about belly drum users in general. Anyone else has such a feeling, that they are very often completely dominating and after just a belly drum, unstoppable?

I was wondering why on randbats there's only one mon with Belly Drum (Linoone) in it's set, guess I might've figured it out.

I was thinking the exact same thing

Some more useless, garbage sets that are totally not fun:

Dustox: Tox/ Roost/ U-turn/ Protect

Gorebyss: Amnesia/ Iron Defense/ Ice Beam/ Scald

Nosepass: Taunt, TWave, Rocks, Volt Switch

Glalie and Walrein that use Hail (in 99% of situations this is counter-productive as hail itself damages my own mons)

Arcanine: Curse/ Flare blitz/ ESpeed/ Morning sun

22 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

Dustox: Tox/ Roost/ U-turn/ Protect

Nosepass: Taunt, TWave, Rocks, Volt Switch

I disagree with these two, they are just bad pokemon and those sets are basically the only thing they can do. Annoying sets are stuff like Cosmic Power/Block/Rest/Meteor Mash Metagross, who is an amazing pokemon with incredible versitility, but can also have not fun to play against (and with, to be honest) sets.

2 minutes ago, Bertolfoso said:

I disagree with these two, they are just bad pokemon and those sets are basically the only thing they can do. Annoying sets are stuff like Cosmic Power/Block/Rest/Meteor Mash Metagross, who is an amazing pokemon with incredible versitility, but can also have not fun to play against (and with, to be honest) sets.

To be completely honest, from my perspective any monoattacker in randbats is pretty much a dead weight and in here, Nosepass doesn't even have a STAB move. Dustox can actually utilize a QD set or even emergency defog set, but the tox/ protect/ roost set feels like it's pushed into the randbats by force.

From what I know, the cosmic power sets without stored power were removed (pp stalling is not fun) so fortunately, you won't face/ get that kind of Metagross anymore

3 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

To be completely honest, from my perspective any monoattacker in randbats is pretty much a dead weight and in here, Nosepass doesn't even have a STAB move. Dustox can actually utilize a QD set or even emergency defog set, but the tox/ protect/ roost set feels like it's pushed into the randbats by force.

If I have to be honest, I've never seen the protect variant and I agree that QD is a better set. Nosepass still prefers Volt Switch over any stab imo, maybe remove Taunt as it's too slow to use it well.

5 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

From what I know, the cosmic power sets without stored power were removed (pp stalling is not fun) so fortunately, you won't face/ get that kind of Metagross anymore

They are still here, and I've been facing/having them more frequently lately ?

I feel that the amount of mono-attackers in current randbats is just so overwhelming that one can end up with a team like me- explo forret, scald mantine, lava plume flareon and misd with shadow ball. I had 4 mons that were mono-attackers (other were sash victreebel and one mon I can't remember now). Instant forfeit from my side.

Also @Bertolfoso you're right, I just got a Xatu without stored power and with cosmic power. Typical stalling set (which is not fun at all).

The next set of randoms changes.

Format changes:

• Dual screens users are limited to one per team. If multiple with this set are pulled, they all reroll their builds until exactly one has the set.
    • Pokemon with only Reflect or only Light Screen are exempt from this check.
  • The highest two levels are limited to one per team (previously two). This category is shrinking each month, eventually it will contain only genuine liabilities.
  • 22 generation 4 evolutions of older species have been added. The rest of gen 4 will likely be early next year, but no guarantees.
  • Monthly level adjustments will begin to occur automatically instead of manually, making the timing more predictable.
  • Levels will be displayed in the statistics UI, starting from the first month these changes are active for.
  • Nosepass has been removed from the format.

Build quality improvements:

• Some stally defensive setup builds have been adjusted. More now either reliably boost an offensive stat or power up a move.
    • Sets capped at +3 or lacking recovery don't appear to be especially problematic. Some have been tweaked, but some remain unchanged.
  • Some mono attacking builds have higher chances to pull additional damaging moves.
    • Many mono attackers actually perform extremely well, support sets are often quite valuable. The changes made in this category are fairly minimal.
  • Sucker Punch + Choice item (without Trick/Switcheroo) is a less common combination.
    • Some builds with this combination don't benefit from their move or item being changed, a few remain.
  • Focus Sash is more common on offensive builds. This should hopefully make offensive setup more manageable.
  • Fixed some more errors, I forgot to write these down.
  • Added a few more builds, you'll find them by playing.
  • Miscellaneous tweaks to a variety of sets for a variety of reasons. They're probably slightly better now.

Edited by Rache

Also came here to hate on Nosepass. It literally just sets up Stealth Rocks and nothing else.  After Probopass is included, it offers literally nothing over it and it's just one dimensional and boring Pokemon. Onix at least is faster than Steelix and has "kind of cool alternative Dragon Dance set" but wouldn't really mind if it was removed too.

Edit: I know Luvdisc is terrible no matter what but can you give its Substitute / Toxic / Protect / Swagger set at least Scald as an offensive move

Edited by OrangeManiac
On 11/23/2021 at 10:55 PM, Rache said:

Focus Sash is more common on offensive builds. This should hopefully make offensive setup more manageable.

From my experience its quite easy to setup anything, you just risk the 50/50 chance your opponent doesn't have a mon that can counter it in its unrevealed roster. Sash always felt useless in a mode where defog/spinner isn't guaranteed in ur team which is quite often. 

Thank God for the dual dual screens team. 

December's changes based on winrates. As usual, higher than 52% species winrate or 54% individual build winrate to level down, and 48% or lower species winrate to level up.

Leveling DOWN: Pokemon that performed too well.

Spoiler

Aerodactyl
Alakazam
Ampharos
Arcanine
Bellossom
Blaziken
Claydol
Clefable
Cloyster
Crobat
Dugtrio
Espeon
Feraligatr
Gardevoir
Gyarados
Hariyama
Heracross
Hitmonlee
Jumpluff
Jynx
Kingdra
Lapras
Linoone
Machamp
Manectric
Mantine
Metagross
Miltank
Nidoking
Ninjask
Omastar
Pidgeot
Piloswine
Pinsir
Porygon2
Rapidash
Raticate
Salamence
Sceptile
Scyther
Skarmory
Slaking
Steelix
Swellow
Tauros
Ursaring
Walrein
Whiscash
Zangoose

Leveling UP: Pokemon that didn't perform well enough.

Spoiler

Banette

Blissey

Cacturne
Dewgong
Electrode

Exeggutor

Furret
Lickitung

Mawile

Nosepass
Onix
Parasect

Due to technical limitations, these Pokemon cannot level up right now, but will be moved to lv86 after the next update.

Spoiler

Ariados

Beedrill

Beautifly

Castform
Corsola

Delcatty

Delibird

Farfetch'd

Illumise

Ledian

Luvdisc

Mightyena

Sableye

Smeargle

Spinda

Sunflora

Volbeat

Wigglytuff

The best performing builds for November were:

• Swords Dance Jumpluff (57.03%)
  • Quiver Dance Bellossom (56.78%)
  • Belly Drum Linoone (56.73%)

Gorebyss avoided leveling down due to a single loss, with its Shell Smash build winning 1581 of 2928 battles (53.999%).

Nosepass will be removed from the format with the next set of build changes. Onix can stay for now.

On 12/8/2021 at 6:34 AM, OrangeManiac said:

I'm not sure are we supposed to also comment about overpowered sets but I think Shedinja with U-Turn is just absolute BS in randoms environment. If you don't have an entry hazard user, it's almost unbeatable. Whenever you go to your Pokemon that has a move on Shedinja, they're already gone.

It will carry Return instead next update.

On 11/23/2021 at 3:55 PM, Rache said:

The next set of randoms changes.

Format changes:

• Dual screens users are limited to one per team. If multiple with this set are pulled, they all reroll their builds until exactly one has the set.
    • Pokemon with only Reflect or only Light Screen are exempt from this check.
  • The highest two levels are limited to one per team (previously two). This category is shrinking each month, eventually it will contain only genuine liabilities.
  • 22 generation 4 evolutions of older species have been added. The rest of gen 4 will likely be early next year, but no guarantees.
  • Monthly level adjustments will begin to occur automatically instead of manually, making the timing more predictable.
  • Levels will be displayed in the statistics UI, starting from the first month these changes are active for.
  • Nosepass has been removed from the format.

Build quality improvements:

• Some stally defensive setup builds have been adjusted. More now either reliably boost an offensive stat or power up a move.
    • Sets capped at +3 or lacking recovery don't appear to be especially problematic. Some have been tweaked, but some remain unchanged.
  • Some mono attacking builds have higher chances to pull additional damaging moves.
    • Many mono attackers actually perform extremely well, support sets are often quite valuable. The changes made in this category are fairly minimal.
  • Sucker Punch + Choice item (without Trick/Switcheroo) is a less common combination.
    • Some builds with this combination don't benefit from their move or item being changed, a few remain.
  • Focus Sash is more common on offensive builds. This should hopefully make offensive setup more manageable.
  • Fixed some more errors, I forgot to write these down.
  • Added a few more builds, you'll find them by playing.
  • Miscellaneous tweaks to a variety of sets for a variety of reasons. They're probably slightly better now.

These changes are now live.

image.thumb.png.301b1b034fe9fb3c2ea8bad81b256470.png