Increase the RP for particular automated tours

Imperial

Question

The number of tours on MMO are great (1-2 per day at different timezones), and that is something I would personally like to keep happening. However what I've noticed is that the quality of these tournaments regarding prizes have decreased and I believe needs some kind of change.

Suggestion:

As I accept that the developers are sensitive about including too many shiny prizes, I would like to propose increasing the RP prizes in non-shiny tours to the following:

• 1st place - 1,500 RP (currently 1,000 RP)
  • 2nd place - 750 RP (currently 500 RP)
  • 3rd place - 500 RP (currently 250 RP)

Justification:

There has been a significant decrease in the number of tournaments with shiny prizes, especially in tiers such as UU. Below are the difference in tournaments which have non-shiny prizes compared to shiny prizes (excluding Community Combats).

All of the tournaments are from the beginning of August until the end of this week (as who has time to go further):

August 2021

Doubles: 

1 August - Porygon2

7 August - Shiny Hariyama

21 August - Shiny Torkoal

27 August - Larvitar

OU:

8 August - Shiny Gengar

11 August - Cloyster

14 August - Shiny Staryu

22 August - Shiny Jellicent

28 August - Chansey

29 August - Shiny Cofagrigus

31 August - Rotom

UU:

4 August - Bisharp

5 August - Swampert

13 August - Bronzong

20 August - Vaporeon

25 August - Shiny Sandile

26 August - Porygon2

30 August - Shiny Azumarill

NU:

3 August - Manectric

6 August - Shiny Lilligant

11 August - Shiny Diglett

13 August - Absol

17 August - Shiny Murkrow

23 August - Shiny Emolga

September 2021

Doubles:

4 September - Shiny Snover

7 September - Scizor

14 September - Kingdra

OU:

5 September - Shiny Drilbur

10 September - Skarmory

12 September - Shiny Solosis

UU:

1 September - Umbreon

9 September - Shiny Gigalith

15 September - Mismagius

16 September - Metagross

NU:

3 September - Typhlosion

6 September - Shiny Nidoqueen

11 September - Zoroark

13 September - Clefable

From the tournaments I've listed, UU is the tier which is lacking in the most shiny prizes. With these type of tournaments, people would rather enjoy the aesthetics of a shiny than a 'perfect non-shiny' prize, and this shows based on the brackets.

I believe the increase in RP prize should also happen for the following reasons:

• Bearminator has confirmed that discussions will occur to increase the Team Tournament prizes from 1,000 RP in 2022
  • Players can grind an average of 300-500k a day or more depending on their time and methods (e.g. Gym runs, farming berries, etc) so this increase shouldn't affect the economy is a negative way
  • It will increase the hype for some of these tournaments, in particular ones which start really late for European players or those who aren't motivated by non-shiny prizes

I was recommended by a staff member to suggest it here - I know there's been many great suggestions which have been ignored, but I hope this can be remotely considered.

Please feel free to discuss.

Edited by Imperial

5 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Imperial said:

UU:

4 August - Bisharp

5 August - Swampert

13 August - Bronzong

20 August - Vaporeon

25 August - Shiny Sandile

26 August - Porygon2

30 August - Shiny Azumarill

From the tournaments I've listed, UU is the tier which is lacking in the most shiny prizes. With these type of tournaments, people would rather enjoy the aesthetics of a shiny than a 'perfect non-shiny' prize, and this shows based on the brackets.

I believe the increase in RP prize should also happen for the following reasons:

Not all prizes will be shiny, but it's definitely worth for us to try to spread them across tiers more, Im curious if the earlier months balanced it or not, but no need to make statistic of that, we can just simply check for the next months if the tier gets at least close amount of shiny prizes.

11 hours ago, Imperial said:
  • Bearminator has confirmed that discussions will occur to increase the Team Tournament prizes from 1,000 RP in 2022
  •  
  • It will increase the hype for some of these tournaments, in particular ones which start really late for European players or those who aren't motivated by non-shiny prizes

Just to clarify - The Team Tournament isn't really a standard tournament in a way that the prizes are already higher than "normal" PVP tournaments. With more rounds, we can think of any increase, but considering the additional round not filling up recently, I will seriously first consider if making it 16 teams again instead of 22 teams and making people wait 1 hour for their match wouldn't be a better outcome.

As for hype and "it's late for x timezone"- it can be also used by non-eu timezones as an argument, why would they join non-shiny prize at EU timezone? They don't have to, cause there is also an event in their timezone. We really stop using "It's 3am for EU and prize is no-shiny so I'm not motivated to join" as an argument- we make events at various timezones to give chance to all players. Surely, getting some prizes will not be the most motivating reason to join the tournament, but there are also players that don't have certain comp or wants to get some RP by playing. 

Don't read me wrong, this is not "this suggestion isn't going to happen", this is just me adding a bit of context to few points. 

3 hours ago, Quinn010 said:

+1 why would people play for a normal bisharp and a shit prize

The tournament filled up. People still want to get comp pokemon and RP. I understand your point of view tho.

9 hours ago, Bearminator said:

Not all prizes will be shiny, but it's definitely worth for us to try to spread them across tiers more, Im curious if the earlier months balanced it or not, but no need to make statistic of that, we can just simply check for the next months if the tier gets at least close amount of shiny prizes.

I think it would be good to space the tiers where there will be Shiny prizes, for example as you see in August and September UU barely had any shinies, and this is a fairly popular tier. I think having it split evenly amongst all the tiers would be more fair.

Just to clarify - The Team Tournament isn't really a standard tournament in a way that the prizes are already higher than "normal" PVP tournaments. With more rounds, we can think of any increase, but considering the additional round not filling up recently, I will seriously first consider if making it 16 teams again instead of 22 teams and making people wait 1 hour for their match wouldn't be a better outcome.

I would personally have to disagree with this. Although 32 teams aren't filling now (we don't have 32 consistent teams into PvP excluding Chinese ones), we still average around 20 - 25 teams meaning that if we did the old sign up system of 16 teams we're going to go back to the same situation where 16 teams rush and spam the thread in the hopes of securing a spot (apologies if I misunderstood this).

I don't understand the point about people waiting 1 hour for their match - anyway increasing the prize is a separate issue for this as it should be split between all the teammates who participated / supported and 3,000 RP doesn't cover it IMO.

As for hype and "it's late for x timezone"- it can be also used by non-eu timezones as an argument, why would they join non-shiny prize at EU timezone? They don't have to, cause there is also an event in their timezone. We really stop using "It's 3am for EU and prize is no-shiny so I'm not motivated to join" as an argument- we make events at various timezones to give chance to all players. Surely, getting some prizes will not be the most motivating reason to join the tournament, but there are also players that don't have certain comp or wants to get some RP by playing. 

This is true, my issue isn't necessarily the timezone although I don't like it, it's the fact that non-shiny tours aren't that exciting compared to shiny tours so I believe that slight increase in RP for the former should be fair and as I mentioned it wouldn't negatively affect the economy. 

The reason that these tournaments fill is yes people want the RP, etc, but also because they want to play PvP which isn't through grinding the ladder.

Edited by Imperial