Why does it seem that botters/macro users aren't banned?

Maybe it's because I'm relatively new and maybe some of these people aren't actually botting. However, I refuse to believe that every single one of these players is a human being. I know there is a captcha, but there must be a way these people are avoiding the system. There are a few locations that seems quite overrun by people afk farming (looking at you Dragonspiral Tower.)

So, why isn't anything being done about it? I feel like at this point you might as well just allow macros since it seems like so many people have scripts that are avoiding the captcha anyways.

1 minute ago, Quakkz said:

claiming something without a single proof or hint, classic internet

You think it's more likely that not a single person is botting?

Do you think if I used a macro to do this for 2, 4, even 6 hours every day I would get banned?

How come these people can sit here for hours upon hours at a time doing the same actions rhythmically never skipping a beat.

How come when I post something to the GTL at an accidentally low price it sells immediately?

Be a little charitable here.

There were no captcha back in old days..

Yes, there may be bots still out there but you can't just deny everything the team has done trying to ban those bots.

As for GTL, if you are on PC, it isn't hard to snipe something in 0.5s

37 minutes ago, dapocalypse said:

You think it's more likely that not a single person is botting?

Do you think if I used a macro to do this for 2, 4, even 6 hours every day I would get banned?

How come these people can sit here for hours upon hours at a time doing the same actions rhythmically never skipping a beat.

How come when I post something to the GTL at an accidentally low price it sells immediately?

Be a little charitable here.

1. No, there are people that bot and most of the time they get banned.

2. Yes, chances are you will be caught and banned resulting in the termination of your character

3. Some people grind the hell out of this game, some shiny hunting, some item farming, some ev training, some leveling etc

4. Things will sell very quickly if there are a lot of people playing and looking at the gtl, and I do mean a lot

I can assure you the team in charge of catching botters/rule breakers are doing their best to keep the game fair for everyone, chances are they are probably swamped at times but they are always watching to try and catch rule breakers

Edited by Kizhaz

The game has a pretty robust bot detection system. However, it’s a cat and mouse game, better bot detection leads to more sophisticated bots which leads to better bot detection, and so on. But, all in all, if you are botting, there’s an extremely high likelihood that you will be caught and banned.

As someone who banned many botters during my tenure as a GM, I will say that just because some people look like “bots” to you, certainly does not mean they are bots. More often than not, they are actually real players.

9 hours ago, Gilan said:

The game has a pretty robust bot detection system. However, it’s a cat and mouse game, better bot detection leads to more sophisticated bots which leads to better bot detection, and so on. But, all in all, if you are botting, there’s an extremely high likelihood that you will be caught and banned.

As someone who banned many botters during my tenure as a GM, I will say that just because some people look like “bots” to you, certainly does not mean they are bots. More often than not, they are actually real players.

I'll take your word for it that a lot of the botters get banned, but I don't think I can be blamed for thinking that there is a small handful of people who are still botting in these locations. Then again, I may just not be used to watching people be able to grind for 8 hours at a time. I can only grind for 2 hours at a time before getting sick of it, and even after 2 hours at a time I think there should be a captcha popping up.

I guess I misworded my original post, but I think more active captchas in these areas would make sense. I don't necessarily want people banned just for grinding (feel like I need to say this because I keep getting straw-manned.)

I'll just respond to the GTL sniping thing. Yes it's extremely common for things to get sniped instantly.

That said, I do find it quite odd how sometimes a full 99 stack of an item will disappear instantly. With the amount of people sniping on GTL, being able to go through the prompts and input 99 before a user smashes a button only twice is a bit odd. There might be something to that that isn't purely human.

12 minutes ago, EssDeeCee said:

I'll just respond to the GTL sniping thing. Yes it's extremely common for things to get sniped instantly.

That said, I do find it quite odd how sometimes a full 99 stack of an item will disappear instantly. With the amount of people sniping on GTL, being able to go through the prompts and input 99 before a user smashes a button only twice is a bit odd. There might be something to that that isn't purely human.

Yes, that is exactly my point. It isn't just fast reaction time when I accidentally put 99 leppa berries at $100 each. They literally sold in .2 seconds or less. Humans can't refresh the GTL, process the information of the listing, and press the buttons in .2 seconds. It's literally inhuman. I don't care how many people are on the GTL sniping things. I highly doubt there was a human able to snipe my listing that quickly. If 1 second had passed I'd be a lot more charitable on this point.

I don't doubt plenty of human players snipe quality items. Hell, I sniped cheap dittos with extremely good IVs and sold them for higher on the GTL just a few days ago. I'm just asking for people to be a little reasonable and actually think how long it would actually take to snipe a really good item on the GTL. .2 seconds is not the correct answer.

Hell, you can sell 1 leppa berry at $100 on the GTL and that's enough to prove my point. I unfortunately made the mistake of selling 99 at $100 though.

2 minutes ago, GodofKawaii said:

ever see boxing day sales? how an entire store can be cleaned in litteral seconds!

I assume this is equivalent to Black Friday but in Canada. Yeah, I worked in retail during Black Friday. Not really sure if it's a fair comparison though because:

1. the day is known and mentioned before hand so of course a lot of people will be sniping. In PokeMMO people are literally sniping like it's boxing day 24/7.

2. It'd be the equivalent of a customer teleporting to the item as soon as the stores are open, and then teleporting to the front counter. They still have to walk to get the item which still makes the .2 seconds that this happens in unreasonable.

Reaction time is on average .25 seconds, but you also have to account for the time it takes to process this information, and the time time it takes to press the buttons to buy the item. I'm not saying .5 seconds is completely unreasonable for the item to be gone. I'm saying .2 seconds is quite literally impossible without some form of macro/script filtering what is and is not good. I don't mind being disproven on this and I'd love to meet the human being who was able to snipe my 99 Leppa berries literally immediately as I put it up and ask them how they did it. It'd be nice if they showed the person who purchased your items on the GTL.

To be honest, this shouldn't even be a problem because it's so easily prevented by putting a 2 minute wait for new items placed on the GTL. Not saying that stuff wouldn't be getting immediately sniped still, but it at least prevents the user from being screwed over from such a rookie mistake (yes, I am stupid and did not look closely.)

I have tried pay day-ing for 8 hours straight, possible but it make me uncomfortable for rest of day.

Everyone is different so there's people who can put up and do it everyday

And for GTL, I once lose some money and gain some from sniping, it's doable to snipe something almost instantly when you are always looking (with experience) at GTL

For stuff like paydaying oder shiny hunting straight the whole day I know me and others did this, same for GTL sniping.

On the other hand a quick google search revealed that there are payday/catch/gtl snipe bots. And I also felt like that at some point that there are to many people with sketchy names using the same routes to a spot with the same delay. But they were gone next day so they are probaly banned.

Not going to details everywhere, but to give an answer:

On 9/8/2021 at 8:25 AM, dapocalypse said:

Maybe it's because I'm relatively new and maybe some of these people aren't actually botting. 

This is a legit sentence and answers a lot of the issues brought in this thread. It's hard to imagine for some people that certain players sit in one place for 12+hours but it happens. Common kinds of reports we got were "he has friend list invitation rejected and stays in one place, it's a bot"- might be, but it's certainly not 100% proof. You also can't see work from our side to have a feeling that anything is done- I can only assure you that it is, cause we always aim for fair gameplay for everyone.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:06 AM, dapocalypse said:

4. There is a difference between selling quickly and selling instantaneously as I put it up. Could be coincidence, but it's weird how I accidentally list something wrong and it sells the moment I click "list item." Not .5 seconds not .25 seconds. Literally an instant notification that it sold. (Also, could easily be fixed by putting a 2 minute timer for new listings.) I won't use this as hard evidence of botting because it is quite possible that maybe somebody refreshed right as I listed and clicked (very, VERY fast.)

Yeah, but let's not forget that when the average speed of a player is maybe to low to be considered sniping in effective way, there are also players that have reflexes high trained enough to be able to buy things. It's never instant as well, as always some time passes and it's hard to properly measure how much time passed. Not to mention that some people just sit down and watch gtl all the time, multiply it with a large player base, you get insta buying people.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:06 AM, dapocalypse said:

Anyways, obviously my point is a bit moot because "I have no evidence," but for me to get that evidence I'd literally have to bot myself. The logic is kind of backwards here. I'm not saying everyone is botting, I don't even think the majority of those people are botters, but I'd say it's around 5-10% of the player base, being generous. And just because someone is botting at one point doesn't mean they're botting later when doing other tasks.

I would point out that players don't need to gather evidence, or "test" bots to gather it. I am not claiming that you will/did/would but I just clarify to not give anyone bad ideas. This is bannable and really, better to avoid it at all.

10 hours ago, dapocalypse said:

I worded my post poorly. I don't want people to be banned "because I think they are bots." I want more anti-bot actions to be taken against these players where it seems likely they are botting. More captchas as an example. Mods might already do this, but I wouldn't know, and I've grinded in a location for 4 hours and it hasn't happened to me. I've seen posts that claim that they've grinded for 12 hours and haven't gotten a captcha before. I'm just saying in most other MMO games I've ran into their system before.

If the captcha is considered ineffective, more captchas will not do. We have our means to investigate botting players but obviously, we will not go into details, as we don't really profit from letting people know how to potentially avoid us.

7 hours ago, dapocalypse said:

To be honest, this shouldn't even be a problem because it's so easily prevented by putting a 2 minute wait for new items placed on the GTL. Not saying that stuff wouldn't be getting immediately sniped still, but it at least prevents the user from being screwed over from such a rookie mistake (yes, I am stupid and did not look closely.)

Suggestions is a place for this, yeah! 

9 minutes ago, CaptnBaklava said:

For stuff like paydaying oder shiny hunting straight the whole day I know me and others did this, same for GTL sniping.

On the other hand a quick google search revealed that there are payday/catch/gtl snipe bots. And I also felt like that at some point that there are to many people with sketchy names using the same routes to a spot with the same delay. But they were gone next day so they are probaly banned.

We definitely aim to get rid of cheating players as soon as possible, but we always do it in a manner to ensure that the player did indeed broke rules. Whenever you suspect someone, you can make a post on our support page- its anonymous. https://support.pokemmo.eu/

I hope it answers at least some of concers, staff team works to ensure that game will be enjoyable and fair experience, with the same effort being put by all players. No shortcuts.