My thoughts on pokemmo, and following suggestion as a 2013 player.

Question

I've been playing since 2013 and yes, there was a time where catchrates WERE TOO OVERPOWERED. but right now pokemon that SHOULD be easy to catch are hard to catch for absolutely no reason. I myself find this very frustrating, especially since these pokemon were designed to be caught easier then the rest. Same goes with gym's and trainers. they're too overpowered, in my opinion the buff was necessary, the improved AI system was a must to make Pokemmo more interesting, but you guys over-buffed them, people want to have a fun time playing, not a frustrating big brain time playing. i mean thunderwave on a wingull? thats... thats some impressive thinking right there. Giving berry's to every trainer & gym leader out there? that isn't fun, thats torture especially when u expect to play the game PVE-ishly. Please make an easier-version of the game, i understand making it more difficult to make the game more immersive, but this is too much. I used to like playing back in 2016, shit was fun then. Right now? i've seen people raging for days because the gyms made no sense, the pokemons that gym leaders & other trainers have are classified as semi competetive, while some of us don't even WANT to play competetive, leave that for the re-battling and the rematches. 

According to the 1 HP pokemon shedinja's changes.

Give him his wonderguard ability back, you guys already hardcore nerfed the economy by taking the parents for an egg. Shedinja shouldn'tve been nerfed in the first place, it was an good way for people to make money when they didn't want to start breeding. Now we are FORCED to start breeding our pokemon to stand a chance against rebattling the E4. We don't want to try-hard? We want to have fun.

Regarding the state of PokeMMO in my opinion from what i've seen the past years.

PokeMMO's first concept is perfect, giving pokemon games the ability to be played in multiplayer openworld while not trying to sway away from the original pokemon games.

However, right now it's EXACTLY the opposite of what you guys wanted to achieve, you nerf every move, you nerf every pokemon, nerf every pokeball and increase the difficulty because some competetive players found it too easy, i mean the shiny encounter chance is SOMEWHAT understandable, but come on 1 in 30000 chance? and with donator status 1 in 27000-ish? thats bullshit and you know it. 

Regarding the PokeMMO movepools for trainers & amount of battle-items they use.

From my PoV some changes make sense, and some absolutely don't. the movepool changes are too difficult for people that just started out the game, they expect to have fun while having a bit of a challenge, while in reality they are going up against semi-competitive A.I's. This isn't fun for new players, especially since some of the new players only just started playing pokemon in general. Now here's the other thing that bothers me, battle items. It's VERY clear to see what pokemmo tried to do here, they wanted to counter insta-sweeps and wanted to give NPC'S more battle-ability by adding in (YET AGAIN Competitively-Used battle items) Sorry but don't.. Just Don't. It ruined the "Fun" pokemon experience this game used to have. Also debuff the amount of god damn stun & sleep & poison moves trainers have! it's impossible to go through a battle without being stunned or slept atleast once, the AI's almost NEVER miss an stunn move or an sleep move.

Regarding the usage of Sweet Scent & Destiny bonds & Breeding items.

To be honest i don't really have an opinion on this, it's fairly understandable that breeding should be an pretty pricey concept. However the destiny bond is useless now, revert that and nerf it only a bit. It should still be one of the most costy items in the game to be honest. But it's pretty much useless now. Sweetscent is properly nerfed in my opinion, and so are breeding items. however i don't like how u made them useless in terms of EV-training.

Shiny charms & Rich charms & EXP charms & The Lucky eggs & Amulet coins Etc Etc

Love how you added in these top-notch useless items, the EXP charm is the only decent charm that came into the game, Shiny charms + donator status STILL makes ur chances of encountering an ACTUAL shiny 1 in 24000, which is total-bullshit, remove these two concepts from the game or give them an ENORMOUS buff, they're not worth the hassle nor money. LUCKY EGGS, i used to LOVE farming lucky eggs back in the day, they were usefull, and rightfully expensive. However the devs HAD TO GO and nerf them into the abyss again, Lucky eggs were hard to get as it was, but now you get 1 hour to farm enough experience for an super-expensive-rare item that has about an ridiculous low chance of being on an already rare hard to get pokemon in safari. What the actual fawk pokemmo? You also did this to the famous amulet coin, you made it friggin useless, and timed-only because it "Ruined economy" nah you guys ruined economy by doing this to farm-able worthy items. 

My general suggestion for pokemmo.

First of all give shedinja's wonderguard back, but nerf it in pvp. Second of all increase the catchrates, you guys nerfed them into the abyss. Third of all prehaps you should increase shiny encounters rate by only 1000, make it 1 in 20000 and with donator status 1 in 16000. Fourth of all remove shiny charms & the temporary amulet coins & temporary lucky eggs, make the both of them permanent again. you guys made it too much pay to win, nerf gyms and trainer battles by a bit for newer players, or nerf an specific region for starter players but give them less money as reward. Give pokemon realistic move pools and no fucking wingulls with thunderwave. Change destiny bonds to keep 3 ivs for training.  also give brace's the EV training ability back, stop making everything pay to win.

Thanks for reading my suggestions.

Edited by 1001910

9 answers to this question

These balance changes didn't crop up from the devs catering to a specific group of people. Nobody flooded the forums saying "I'm tired of getting so many shinies" or "Shedinja too OP for money grinding plz nerf." You have to remember this is an MMO, and some things that would be A-OK in a single player campaign would be too unbalanced in this format.

In a single player campaign, it didn't matter if there was an easily exploitable way of getting money. Money was only used to buy stuff like healing items or pokeballs. It wouldn't suddenly make your game much easier. Here, there's an actual value attached to money though because you can directly or indirectly use it to buy better pokemon, moves, items, etc. In other words, the longer the broken way of getting money exists, the greater the gap becomes between new players and people who have long been able to access these methods. I'm sure you don't want that since you accused the game of being pay to win.

On that topic, this game is pretty far from being pay to win unless somehow you count using in-game money as p2w. $5 would only net you the amount of money one could feasibly acquire in a day of grinding if they've already beaten every region. No big advantage.

Also sure in a single player campaign, finding a shiny with a flat rate of 1/8192 with no bonuses (of course they made it WAY easier in recent games but irrelevant) would be difficult, right? Take millions of players looking for that same shiny and suddenly it's a cakewalk. All the devs are trying to do is keep shinies valuable. The most delicious dessert is one you only have once in a while. 

Regarding your take on the trainers, can't say anything definitive in that regard. Are they more difficult than their official counterparts? Well sure, but that's the natural consequence of having to account for the mechanical differences between the official pokemon games and PokeMMO. Pokemon have updated learnsets, mechanics, and if you're ever in want of the perfect move or pokemon for the job there's nothing really stopping you from buying it. With that much stacked against the NPCs, they can't afford to be pushovers because for the casual player, the NPC battles are the highlight.

Also as an aside, you make it sound as if the pokemon here know moves they couldn't learn in official sources, but if you look it up, you'll see that it's not actually the case. The pokemon here can use any gen 1-5 move they have ever been able to learn from gen 1 to present (gen 8 crown tundra), which may have contributed to the confusion. Wingull has actually been able to learn Shock Wave ever since it was introduced in gen 3.

5 hours ago, Kyklous said:

Yeah, I wasn't entirely attempting to convince you as I know you feel strongly about this. In fact, I can 100% understand you being dissatisfied. I just wanted you to understand that this isn't just the devs being unfair and that they do have their reasons.

I understand, and yeah they do.. but i atleast think they could consider making it a bittt easier you know?

Gotta say I completely disagree. I think tuning up the difficulty of story, including the level cap, is a wonderful idea. Makes the story much more enjoyable and rewarding to play through ?

Also, while it's surely more challenging, there isn't really a point you can't get through when adapting a bit, like there is no hard check for further progress. I think it's not only fine now, as it is, it's actually better than before.

I'm also a 2013 player, but I was 8 and don't remember much. I went through all 4 regions and bred a couple 6x31s after in 2020, and I just kinda plowed through all the gym leaders and elite fours. I'm also dogshit at pokemon, I don't play competitive.

Shedinja's nerf: When it happened, I saw most of the community's active players all agreeing with it, so... If you want to rebattle the elite four, then make a team of good pokemon and have a good strategy instead of cheesing it with a shedinja. That's like cheesing a boss in a game; the devs didn't intend it so they would obviously remove it.

State of PokeMMO: Like before, the game isn't hard. Anybody the age of 10 and above shouldn't find any difficulty, it's just that they bumped it from very easy mode to slightly above normal mode. The shiny rate is buffed because it's an MMO, and there's an economy. It reallly shouldn't be that hard for you to understand, it's not bullshit.

By the way, as far as I know there's no guarantee that the shiny rate wasn't 1/30000 in 2013. 

Here's a comment by Kyu that says the shiny rate is 1/30000 in early 2018. This is the forum post that says what the shiny rate is. Kyu also says that it hasn't been changed in a while, so that means it could've been more or less before.

PvE balacing: They're not hard, the balancing just makes it so an average player can't beat them without levelling up and deciding on a good team. In other words, the balancing changes the regular pokemon story (easy games that young children can beat without much difficulty) to a game that people who grew older can enjoy. A lot of the active players aren't young children, so it makes a lot of sense to make the game more difficult. Basically, instead of beating every gym underlevelled with no strategy, level up your pokemon more and think about how you can win, and you will.

Buff charms/items: No, they're not useless. See, if these items didn't do anything they would be useless. But they do things. So they're not useless. Not hard to understand. I use shiny charms for farming shinies, I use lucky eggs for farming exp on new pokemon. I used to farm lucky eggs in the safari when I played more, I love how rare it is. See, most of the community just assumes that they'll never get one, when it's actually not that hard. I just watch a movie or listen to a podcast while I farm lucky eggs, and then whenever I get them I sell them for 200k. I used to get about 2 or 3 each day farming for a couple hours, it's not boring because my attention is on the movie/video/podcast/music.

Suggestion for PokeMMO: Shedinja was nerfed for a good reason, and like expected the active players of the community agreed with it. The shiny rate was changed to 1/30000 under the assumption that it would work well with the economy system of an MMO, and wouldn't you believe it; it did. It's been 1/30000 for years, there's absolutely zero reason to change it now, it still works well and it probably will until PokeMMO is ended. Pay to win? What? There's nothing you can buy that makes the game easy for you. You can buy move ocarinas, which are a great feature and are definitely not pay to win. You can sell the cosmetics that cost real money for in game money, but that won't make the game easier. Donator status is a reward from the developers for people who want to support their FREE game. By the way, 1/30000 to 1/27000 SOUNDS like a lot, but all you have to do is stop looking at 1/30000 and only look at the rate 1/27000. 1/1000 is considered extremely hard and most people wouldn't even think about trying, but 1/27000 is a different story. The game is obviously not pay to win. Why would they nerf gyms for newer players? They're not hard, just don't go in with your underlevelled starter and 2 underlevelled pokemon that you thought looked cool, and you'll win. The pokemon move pools are fine, I've never thought about them once and you're literally the first person I've ever seen complain about a move pool. I don't know what destiny bonds do, but this breeding system is fine and it'll hold up until the game ends. EV training takes like 15 minutes if you're slow, stop complaining about EV training. It's not like the devs are ravaging the game and throwing in micro transactions and pay to win, the only thing that could possibly be considered pay to win is the donator status, which is pretty obviously not for the story. You don't buy that to win, you buy that a long time after you've won. They added that years ago, "stop making everything pay to win" doesn't make sense.

On 9/2/2021 at 3:21 PM, 1001910 said:

It's VERY clear to see what pokemmo tried to do here, they wanted to counter insta-sweeps and wanted to give NPC'S more battle-ability by adding in (YET AGAIN Competitively-Used battle items) Sorry but don't.. Just Don't. It ruined the "Fun" pokemon experience this game used to have. Also debuff the amount of god damn stun & sleep & poison moves trainers have! it's impossible to go through a battle without being stunned or slept atleast once, the AI's almost NEVER miss an stunn move or an sleep move.

Annoying. Just go see the items held by Gym leaders only in Kanto: 

If one Poke has a comp Item is no problem; if two mons have a comp item is no problem; same with three; when all the pokes have comp item, now THAT'S a problem. I'm tired of Brock's "Resist" team either with the ability or the object, I'm tired of Surge's Balloon team, all the Bijoux, I'm tired of fighting mons with Hidden Abilities, which new players don't even know exist, AND I'm sick of fighting against mons with always the right secret power ALL THE TIME. Building a team this way is just a lazy approach. Instead of thinking "which one could be the better set for this mon or gym leader from a tactical standpoint" are built around "just max all out to overspeed or shot apponent's team or just to make the battle longer even if without a possibility for the Gym leader".

On 9/2/2021 at 3:21 PM, 1001910 said:

donator status STILL makes ur chances of encountering an ACTUAL shiny 1 in 24000, which is total-bullshit,

Play since 2015, trained countless hours against hordes, never seen a shiny.