Can someone explain how competitive works?

I have several questions about competitive, I would appreciate it if someone helped ? if there is an updated guide, that can help as well

1. About tiers (OU/UU), do you have to fight in these specific categories? If yes, do all the pokemon in your team have to be in the same category?

2. How good do my pokemon have to be before I can start? (3 perfect ivs?)

3. What are those points that you can get rewards with? (example: blissey - 0/1200) How can I get them?

4. Difference between ranked and casual?

5 hours ago, jujii said:

I have several questions about competitive, I would appreciate it if someone helped ? if there is an updated guide, that can help as well

1. About tiers (OU/UU), do you have to fight in these specific categories? If yes, do all the pokemon in your team have to be in the same category?

2. How good do my pokemon have to be before I can start? (3 perfect ivs?)

3. What are those points that you can get rewards with? (example: blissey - 0/1200) How can I get them?

4. Difference between ranked and casual?

1 - OU stands for overused. It is made by basically looking at usage statistics and making a list of everything that is used on more than 4% of teams.

So you can expect all the good pokemon to be here, like skarmory, salamence, etc.

Now, UnderUsed is simply competitive pokemon, except you ban everything that's in overused. no skarmory, salamence.

you only get to play with the leftovers that don't get played much, like bronzong and tentacruel.

...now, when people play enough underused, you get usage statistics for that tier. there is a certain list of pokemon that gets played 4% of the time in underused.

ban all those, and you get yet another new tier, neverused -- where tentacruel is illegal and you have to play with absol and ambipom and shit.

anyways -- it's ok to use pokemon that are neverused in an overused match. you're essentially just crippling yourself.

competitive viability is kind of correlated to how often they are used in games, though not strictly equivalent.

basically, in OU, everything is legal.

in UU, OU pokemon are banned.

in NU, OU and UU pokemon are both banned.

although, there is one tier called 'ubers' where you just shove things that are too broken for OU. it's the OU banlist, not based off usage statistics.

currently only contains zekrom. but sometimes you see wobbuffet or gengar in there, depends on the year.

2 -  really depends who you're fighting. you can smoke a less-skilled player with really bad ivs.

31s will just give you like a 10%-ish stat boost at most compared to a 0. so you can live without.

but of course, if you're fighting good players who also have good ivs, well. you take all the advantages you can get to not fall behind.

but you can outplay people who have good stats if you're just a better player.

just build what you can afford. you can also sack 31s completely and go for like 25+ for insanely cheap, barely losing any stats.

though 31 speed is an exception, since 1 single speed stat higher can be the difference between going first and second, you usually don't negotiate on this one and go 31.

tldr it's probably better to have 25+ in everything than to have 3x31 3x0 for a well-rounded comp pokemon.

every +2 ivs is +1 stat after all.

3 - just play matchmaking to get points i think

4 - ranked has a leaderboard. rank goes up and down.

casual has no real consequences for losing