Query from a noob; is this Staryu good enough ?

Hi Guys, 

Just playing the game for 2 weeks and trying to understand the basics to understand if a cathced pokemon is good enough to rely on. 

I am initially interested in water pokemons and I didn't have yet a plan for a good team.

After some efforts with super pod, I catched the below Staryu, do you think it is good enough for a start ? Thanks in advance. 

- Naive, Natural Cure 

HP: 30, At: 22, Def: 28, S. Atk: 5, S.Def: 30, Spe:28

So from Naive, I get the speed bonus but I guess I lose around 10-12 S.def. 

And from low S.Atk IV, I think I lose around 13 S.atk (I might be wrong about calculations). 

In overall, just a few points missing in the Speed, but losing large number of stats from S.Atk & S.Def.

So do you think this is a good Staryu, meaning future Starmie ? 

Thanks in advance for your comments. 

For storyline purposes it's decent. You'd probably want a higher special attack, but if you will evtrain it in satk and speed (and then teach it Psyshock/ Thunderbolt/ Ice Beam/ Surf) then it will serve you really well. After finishing one region, you can re-breed it with another Staryu or a Ditto to get higher special attack IV and use it for next region.

Starmie in general is one of the best pokemons for storyline and yours has 4 really good, high stats that can help you a huge lot.

For competitive purposes, unfortunately this Staryu is useless. You can maybe use it as 1 IV (30 sdef) breeder but other than that, it won't really help much.

4 hours ago, RysPicz said:

For storyline purposes it's decent. You'd probably want a higher special attack, but if you will evtrain it in satk and speed (and then teach it Psyshock/ Thunderbolt/ Ice Beam/ Surf) then it will serve you really well. After finishing one region, you can re-breed it with another Staryu or a Ditto to get higher special attack IV and use it for next region.

Starmie in general is one of the best pokemons for storyline and yours has 4 really good, high stats that can help you a huge lot.

For competitive purposes, unfortunately this Staryu is useless. You can maybe use it as 1 IV (30 sdef) breeder but other than that, it won't really help much.

Thank you guys for the comments, I really appreciate it..