What is GTL Scamming?

4 minutes ago, calidubstep said:

they’re now permabanning

I highly doubt they were perma'd *just* for this, they absolutely have to have a previous punishment history

with that being said, I also have a history of mutes/bans and I already take caution by not using any channel/global chat just to be safe... but now something as simple as using GTL is enough for someone to get perma'd, like... I feel I can't even play the game anymore 

And u have to know that it s me Who get banned for listing on GTL with high price.. I never stole from anyone.. I never offended anyone.. Even Those Who insult me after i win in pvp.. Playing àround 2100 hours in one year.. So active in the game.. And then i receive à permanent ban for scamming.. And scamming Who !!! I dont know.. I created à ban appeal 48 hours ago.. And till now i receive nothing.. 

It s Really so sad if i lose my account.. Im tryin my Best to recover it because sincèrely i see that i didnt scam anyone if i list items for high prices... Im thé buyer.. And all the responsabilty is on the seller.. Anyway... Im Really so deceived.. Pokemmo has become somehow à part of my life.. And oooops à sudden unreasonable ban

Screenshot_20210817_185821_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210815_192841_eu.pokemmo.client.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jgaw said:

And u have to know that it s me Who get banned for listing on GTL with high price.. I never stole from anyone.. I never offended anyone.. Even Those Who insult me after i win in pvp.. Playing àround 2100 hours in one year.. So active in the game.. And then i receive à permanent ban for scamming.. And scamming Who !!! I dont know.. I created à ban appeal 48 hours ago.. And till now i receive nothing.. 

It s Really so sad if i lose my account.. Im tryin my Best to recover it because sincèrely i see that i didnt scam anyone if i list items for high prices... Im thé buyer.. And all the responsabilty is on the seller.. Anyway... Im Really so deceived.. Pokemmo has become somehow à part of my life.. And oooops à sudden unreasonable ban

this is insane!!! how can you guys justify this?! @staff !!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, DrMcPinto said:

I've never fell for any scams either online or irl, but in my opinion if you're trying to profit on someone else's mistake, you're probably not the kind of player the staff wants to have in their community. That applies to both GTL Scammers and Snipers. If you don't want to be penalized for being a shitty person with bad intentions, maybe you should not be a shitty person with bad intentions, that might work.

Of course if you look at it this ideally, there's nothing wrong with mods regulating abuse in the market. However, what I noticed is that they banned players for doing something "wrong" in their standards without clearly defining what this "wrong" thing is in the first place. You can't just penalize someone for a crime without that crime being clearly defined in tbe Code of Conduct. Otherwise, they can create any type of violation and penalize players as they please. As the criminal law maxim goes, "Nullum Crimen Sine Lege". There is no crime if there is no law clearly defining this crime.

Almost fucked up and bought this Charmander for 25k because I thought it was going to be a 6x31 natured pokemon, but I used my eyes instead and didn't buy it.

Is this GTL Scamming? This pokemon is clearly overpriced, or is it? What does the market think? Can you please implement price caps on non-31 pokemon so I don't accidently buy something?

f32aa0b9a3.png

3 minutes ago, iMarco said:

You can't just penalize someone for a crime without that crime being clearly defined in tbe Code of Conduct.

Oh man, you probably don't know MMO staff... They can and they have done something like that multiple times in the past already, I even got struck by that personally. If you wanna hit the dog, you'll find a stick

1 minute ago, EssDeeCee said:

Almost fucked up and bought this Charmander for 25k because I thought it was going to be a 6x31 natured pokemon, but I used my eyes instead and didn't buy it.

Is this GTL Scamming? This pokemon is clearly overpriced, or is it? What does the market think? Can you please implement price caps on non-31 pokemon so I don't accidently buy something?

f32aa0b9a3.png

image.thumb.png.67eae7ddda9a3dae6efcd440d4659422.png

Lets also cap shiny tentas my finger nearly slipped and I thought it said 34k! Everyone knows the price is not that high for these pls cap them!!!

2 minutes ago, EssDeeCee said:

f32aa0b9a3.png

No because, they can’t implement price caps by the ot, and an ot EverDaryl mon is significantly more valuable than most ot’s regardless of ivs

4 hours ago, Rache said:

What we classify as GTL Scamming are blatant attempts to trick someone into paying a lot more than they think they are. These listings are often disguised as something snipe-worthy, such as an item worth 25k being repeatedly listed for 200k until someone mistakes it for 20k, resulting in the victim losing 180k.

While the victim is partially to blame, when we ban someone for it, it's when the intention is very clearly to fish for someone to make this mistake. It doesn't feel good to be the buyer in this case, it's an extremely scummy tactic, and it requires little effort on the seller's part as well. If it were risk-free, a lot more people would do it, so we take action against it.

Sorry but WHAT ?? so basically your point is to encourage snipers who already take a risk by buying items\pokemon at the speed of light . if there is a certain item which is valued way over it's market price then it would rot in gtl until it runs out . by banning the seller you're basically just trying to protect snipers who should be careful with their money when they buy , especially at the speed that the buy items\pokemons . people should not buy items in 1 milisecond and instead take a minute to value and see if the item\pokemon is worth it . i my self experienced once selling an item for 100$ each and it was worth 1k$ each . it sold as soon as i clicked sell now and it was my fault for listing it that low but yet again it was MY FAULT . so instead of banning the Sellers maybe you need to leave the FREE MARKET , FREE ? doesn't matter which side you gonna ban it would make everything worse . people need to be careful for how much they sell and how much they buy . it's like going to the super market , if the customer sees an item that is way overprices then nobody would buy it and that would make Sellers more smart about how they price stuff . This ban is the most ridicilous thing i have ever seen in a game .

i also got banned days ago for the same thing "GTL SCAM" what do you mean gtl scam, since when is it possible to scam in gtl? so if i ate a lot of 100rp in 1m or 1k rp in 20m can i report who put it or how does it work? if you buy something for not knowing how to read or not knowing how to look it is not our fault that people are so stupid not to look well what you buy, if you put something in the GTL nobody is obliged to buy that something.

7 minutes ago, SweeTforU said:

this is insane!!! how can you guys justify this?! @staff !!!!!!!!

Oh yeaaah as u Can see attachement it s à permanent ban.. Without à warning.. Or at least à short period punishment... Im waitin for staff reply.. I Wish at least i get an explanation or à short period punishment.. Not à permanent

5 hours ago, Rache said:

What we classify as GTL Scamming are blatant attempts to trick someone into paying a lot more than they think they are. These listings are often disguised as something snipe-worthy, such as an item worth 25k being repeatedly listed for 200k until someone mistakes it for 20k, resulting in the victim losing 180k.

While the victim is partially to blame, when we ban someone for it, it's when the intention is very clearly to fish for someone to make this mistake. It doesn't feel good to be the buyer in this case, it's an extremely scummy tactic, and it requires little effort on the seller's part as well. If it were risk-free, a lot more people would do it, so we take action against it.

I hope you reconsider this as there are more elegant solutions.

For example, you can 'lock' the item for a few secs while the "Are you sure..." window pops. That way players could read carefully the details without the pressure of being sniped.

20 minutes ago, Jgaw said:

Free Jgaw ! this is completly idiotic and this ban should have never happened . just another sad example of how the stuff tries to protect IDIOTS who don't look at the price before they buy something and then run crying . a seller should be allowed to sell at whatever cost he sees fit , if the price is bad then the seller would lose listing fee for nothing . that's what you have listing fees for don't ya ?? so stop banning people who sell in the price they believe in and instead ban snipers who buy stuff in 1 milisecond like they are the flash and then cry about it because they werent careful . this is just a horrible way to handle a situation .

Bro all of Sify will fight for you to be unbanned , you are out brother and we know you as a person and we know you would never scam and in fact you are the first person to help others ! this is so unjustified and should be fixed ASAP . 

a tip for the staff : don't get involved in a free market . if people are dumb enough to not look at the price of what they buy then it's their fault and they should be punished for it by losing on money . banning people for that is just idiotic.

1595278818_EeveelutionSignature.gif.94bf4da2f25f05c5ff7343d32d79ca53.gif

Okay boys and girls, listen up. It's time for an economics lesson with Desu.

Free Market is only a free market if it has a few principals that are required to have a functional free market, one of which is informed consumerism. All parties on a contract must be aware of the terms and and conditions of what they are agreeing to. This includes the price and actual value of the item they are selling/purchasing. In these cases, there's a clear lack of consent made obvious by immediate regret upon realizing the true terms of the "contract" they just agreed to.

Even some of the freest of markets have consumer protections and requirements for refunds build into the economic system for people who express regret. This keeps the system fair, there's no benefit in scamming someone if they can just return the item up for 24 hours. There's no mechanism to do this on the GTL, so we have to enforce additional rules to prevent this.

In a true free market, scamming and ripping off other players will hurt your reputation, but the GTL being anonymous doesn't have any feedback mechanism. A true free market would be much more baazar style, where every seller has their own stall or business. Competing for customers based on trust, reputation, and reliability, in addition to price. The GTL is arguably, not a free market due to these limitations.

High-pressure sales tactics are another highly regulated and illegal practice that conflicts with true free market informed consumerism. You can't have informed consumers if you do not have time to properly consider your options and responsibly make a purchase. The situation of listing an item which looks like it is under-priced and will sell extremely fast is exactly a high pressure sales tactic. This behavior of listing an item with a misleading price and creating a false sense of urgency is a textbook Illegal high-pressure sales tactic.

Lastly, this scam has always been against the rules, but it has gone unreported due to the anonymous nature of the GTL. This isn't a sudden rule change, but an increase in enforcement due to the rapid increase in scams. No staff member, and to my knowledge, no friend of staff member has fallen for this scam. Enforcement has started due to the increase of players reporting and being made aware that they can report this.

• Desu locked this topic

Are you actually closing down threads without allowing a rebuttal, @Desu?

We have asked for a registry of sales for years, this is very relevant for your supposed model of 'informed consent.'

According to this, people can be scammed since they can ignore the actual value of things.

The anonymity of the GTL is another issue I've discussed and you brushed down.  

If you plan on suddenly enforcing policies, it might prevent some backlash if you make a public statement. Communication has never been a forte in this game.

I know it's easier to shed the burden of the game on your moderators, but it might be time you put in some extra work.

The thread is a bit too heated atm, throwing insults and not really conductive to an actual discussion. I would have liked to reply earlier and leave it open, but for now it's better off left locked.

We've wanted a value tracker and automated price limits for a while, it just gets extremely complicated with non-fungible items (monsters). So it never has really gotten enough dev time. We should probably have still already implemented it for fungible items.

I edited my reply to address the anon aspect afterward.

The problem is that these players have already gained (in some cases quite large) amounts of value from this. Announcing it wouldn't make that go away, we've already added upper bounds price caps to prevent further exploitation and will make this system better and less reliant on manual updates in the future. It should be obvious, but if prices were to get close to these limits they would be raised, but a few users in this thread don't quite understand this.

The work is being done, but the users who have already taken advantage of other users is a separate issue.