'Classic' Server

Zymogen

Question

As an older player, I often look back at the pre-Unova tiers with a lot of nostalgia. With some inspiration from other games, it occurred to me that it would be an awesome idea if a secondary, retro server was implemented that was formatted to the old gen 3 game. Much like how WoW and Runescape have their respective old school servers, it could be a server rolled back to a time before GTL and automated matchmaking/tournaments, so that we could really relive the good old days of having to spam in vermilion to find a 6v6 tm ou battle.

Edited by Zymogen

9 answers to this question

I'm not sure I see the point in adding more matchmaking tiers into the modern game when the current ones (like little cup) are already being phased out due to being unpopular.

For the health of the competitive scene, it is probably a more worthwhile investment to just push harder for NU, doubles, etc.

There is already no shortage of things to breed. In fact, the sheer quantity of necessities to breed are probably a great factor why people don't play every tier.

If we make them divide their resources not only between OU/UU/NU but also add gen 3 to the mix, well, that'll just take away from uu/nu.

...That said, the latter half of your suggestion seems very agreeable.

Just having a different, old-school server in the title screen.

Your resources meant for NU don't need to be sacrificed to get some gen 3 comps. It's a completely different ecosystem.

I guess what I'm saying is. I wouldn't settle for "just the gen 3 matchmaking". I wouldn't play it. It's the same game with just another arbitrary niche competitive tier.

I want all or nothing, homie. The suggestion is really good if we go for the old-school server.

On 8/1/2021 at 12:45 AM, Eggplant said:

I'm not sure I see the point in adding more matchmaking tiers into the modern game when the current ones (like little cup) are already being phased out due to being unpopular.

For the health of the competitive scene, it is probably a more worthwhile investment to just push harder for NU, doubles, etc.

There is already no shortage of things to breed. In fact, the sheer quantity of necessities to breed are probably a great factor why people don't play every tier.

If we make them divide their resources not only between OU/UU/NU but also add gen 3 to the mix, well, that'll just take away from uu/nu.

...That said, the latter half of your suggestion seems very agreeable.

Just having a different, old-school server in the title screen.

Your resources meant for NU don't need to be sacrificed to get some gen 3 comps. It's a completely different ecosystem.

I guess what I'm saying is. I wouldn't settle for "just the gen 3 matchmaking". I wouldn't play it. It's the same game with just another arbitrary niche competitive tier.

I want all or nothing, homie. The suggestion is really good if we go for the old-school server.

Yeah, I actually completely agree. I was struggling to come up with anything to flesh out the matchmaking side of this suggestion with, until I had a thought about an entirely separate server.

My heart actually lies with the oldschool server suggestion but I was hesitant to commit to it because it’s probably the least realistic idea. Having said that, a big part of the reason why Blizzard and Jagex were able to release their respective classic servers is because they still had all the old code archived from when the live game was in those states. Maybe that’s also the case here - who knows.

Another issue I see with a separate server is that it would also require a lot more staff - especially if tournaments are held manually again too. Or maybe the current competitive coordinators could also be responsible for Silph Tournaments on the oldschool server since everything on the live server is now automated. 

Lots of possibilities

Edited by Zymogen
1 hour ago, Zymogen said:

Who knows, but I personally would say no because economically the old system was a disaster

I'd say yes!

The less you have to tryhard in there, the more realistically you can play both servers.

And newcomers who are used to vanilla pokemon already don't appreciate the current breeding system. They may find a home in oldschool server as well.

10 minutes ago, FighterChamp said:

What was the old breeding system? Just curious I'm not a old player still I support it.

We had randomish IV inheritance but parents weren't lost.

So once you had a couple decent breeders you could just pop out unlimited copies.

On topic, I don't really get what exactly y'all want...

Rolling back to bare FR/LG would imply going back to the stally metagame a wholly lot of the community loathes.

Were calm mind/curse wars really that fun? Anything else would set an arbitrary cutpoint which some will like and some will not, that's reality.

I very much doubt devs are up for dividing the player base between a live and an old-school server for the bitter people.

This does not only imply greater moderation overheads, but also economic costs for running the server.

Not to mention development costs for tweaking and fixing things. Somebody already admitted the economy used to be trash.

Now, what could work? I believe they could put out a PST-like server where you can spawn anything and just PVP.

Who would play there? I'm guessing the people who likes the idea of smogon with extra steps.

Would it be fun? I'm betting no since removing the grind will kind of make it old pretty quick.

Would it be active? Lets not kid ourselves, live server is barely moving when there are no events. Ya'll already complaining about the dying metas.

Would it be viable? Only if they make it subscription-based or make its access a donator-status perk.