[TOOL] Gilan's Encounter Counter (Beta Available) v1.0.3 update

I need assistance from the multi-lingual community again. I've had a eureka moment that will significantly improve the performance of my tool.

What I need:

For Chinese (simplified & traditional), Japanese, Korean, German, and French, the "A wild {pokemon} appeared!" text. This is pulled directly from the Black ROM, and since I don't have the corresponding ROMs (I only have my English version), I need assistance to translate...

I believe I have discovered the correct text for German ROMs: "Ein wildes {pokemon} erscheint!" but please confirm.

It's funny, but the text for a wild horde is actually contained in the client strings, so I can easily get that, but it can be different than the single encounter text.

The reason this is important, is because I want to change my battle detection from searching for Lv.'s to looking for that "A wild {pokemon} appeared!" text, and then after that look for the Lv.'s (as the Lv.'s are the anchors for finding the pokemon names). This is more consistent in letting me know a new wild battle happened, and completely handles detecting if something was an NPC/PvP battle or not, without having to search for pokemon icons (which was cpu intensive).

I had originally considered this idea, but had concerns over missing the timeframe where it's visible on screen, but it actually lasts quite a while, so I'm not as concerned anymore. The only downside that I can think of is that if you start the tool and you are already in battle, it will not count that battle. But, the benefits far outweigh this cost.

Please, if you can provide me with that string translation, I would be very very appreciative.

Edited by Gilan
  • Gilan changed the title to [TOOL] Gilan's Encounter Counter (Preview) (need assistance for Chinese)
  • Gilan changed the title to [TOOL] Gilan's Encounter Counter (Preview)

I know you have created a theme based on the Redesign Concept Theme, but would you expand this to all of the other colors beyond just the blue color? I think it would be extremely neat and fitting to all of the users within the community to have that option. I have given examples below (Even though I know this could easily be done by you).

image.png.1242a1a837b691039eca49ba4abc8d4b.png  image.png.27573df30a575c9f6c24be32657c360d.png  image.png.6fa7809445bbb2b0ca901e2b62a6853b.png  image.png.5d74ca022b1c41ffa823fe6158b62d45.png  image.png.55fc437e63ec46a5027ce98118f63ff5.png  image.png.d6b5a7c003c27e785317ef1197d39fcf.png 

17 minutes ago, Sinisterserpant said:

Very excited for the final product!!! ❤️ Would this also be including egg encounters?

For this first "beta" release, it will not include automatic egg hatching counting.

You can manually keep track of it by creating a specific hunt/profile for it and then manually editing the number.

image.png.ce6b25022b1bc81957477997ef1a6db4.png

image.png.abd7c33b960e3042332ed6a7fa335fa8.png

I will be adding automatic egg hatching counting in a later release. But, in an effort to avoid feature creep and never getting out a working version, I must keep the initial scope limited.

Also, this first release will be a Beta version. This means that I expect bugs, crashes, weird behaviors, etc. to be encountered while using my tool. Some people may not even be able to run it at all. The point of this version is to gather that data and fix those fatal issues so that I can provide a stable release. Once I have a stable release, additional features will be developed.

Edited by Gilan
1 hour ago, pkqxiaozhi said:

where can i download it?:thonking:

it has to be reviewed by pokemmo staff before I can distribute it.

So there is no publicly available download link until I get approval from them.

So while I'm waiting for @Darkshade to come back from vacation, or wherever he is :^), I've been doing some bug fixing and testing on my own.

GUI scaling is somewhat supported. 1x and 2x scales are perfectly fine with no issue. 1.25x, 1.5x, and 1.75x are kinda hit or miss depending on the theme. The issue is that the scale affects the font in a seemingly non-determinate way, and might even be hardware-dependent. So my solution is just to render out the possible outcomes, which isn't *too* bad. But, I haven't quite figured out all the possible outcomes (there are cases where a letter will get slightly squished, which I haven't figured out yet).

So if you play on 1.25 - 1.75x scaling, the tool may not work for you currently.

2 minutes ago, Riesz said:

Hey @Gilan , some people in CN community edited text for Shiny Pokemon, would this affects the detection? 1630298620357.thumb.jpeg.052c548ca6253b647d5da21af3088453.jpeg

The are some with super-long name (couldn't find screenshot), imagine the square box x 20 instead of the one posted

Yes, it will affect the app, but only in the sense that it will fail to count the shiny (and if the edited text overlaps the other pokemons’ text). It won’t affect regular encounters.

If the edited string is instead ‘[][][][][][]Shiny Pokemon’ (aka all the boxes are before the normal string) then it will work as normal.

Basically, to optimize performance, I detect battle start using “A wild X has appeared!” text. Then I look for all the Lv.’s in the client screenshot (your own pokemon comes out late so won’t get counted). Then I look to the left of Lv. for either the pokemon name or ‘shiny’ (depends on the language), and then look to the left of that for either ‘shiny’ or the pokemon name. But, I only look so far left (basically I look left as far as each pokemon’s name is), so if you pad in a bunch of []’s I won’t look far enough.

To be able to work around the example you posted in your screenshot would be difficult, and not worthwhile for a 1/30k occurrence. If I do code around it, it won’t be until further down the line.

The reason it would be difficult, is because I don’t dynamically pull the strings from the associated strings files in the pokemmo folder. The strings are all pre-defined in my java code. So I would have to build code to parse the edited string files, and then send these strings to the java program which will then have to dynamically handle new strings. It’s certainly possible, but is harder than it seems.

• Gilan changed the title to [TOOL] Gilan's Encounter Counter (Beta Available)
15 minutes ago, Gilan said:

Also, I'm keeping a bug log at the bottom of the first post. I've already had people discover some pretty fatal bugs.

Good to know! I will keep you posted on any errors I receive as well. Btw, pretty awesome seeing that Redesign Concept theme being daily driven ? lol. Unless you made changes to theme yourself, it looks like you have not downloaded the latest version. Anyways... I have a suggestion to make things user friendly. Why not put a shortcut into the root level of the directory instead of the users having to go find the .exe to run? (That is if they did not watch your beta video ?)

My screenshot example with the shortcut:

image.png.ade389160db846b64d940c2937c8ea6c.png

I also have a few ideas about making the encounter counter utility more integrated feeling with the Redesign Concept Theme, but that is not a major priority at this point to be honest.

4 minutes ago, AnonymousPoke said:

Good to know! I will keep you posted on any errors I receive as well. Btw, pretty awesome seeing that Redesign Concept theme being daily driven ? lol. Unless you made changes to theme yourself, it looks like you have not downloaded the latest version. Anyways... I have a suggestion to make things user friendly. Why not put a shortcut into the root level of the directory instead of the users having to go find the .exe to run? (That is if they did not watch your beta video ?)

My screenshot example with the shortcut:

image.png.ade389160db846b64d940c2937c8ea6c.png

I also have a few ideas about making the encounter counter utility more integrated feeling with the Redesign Concept Theme, but that is not a major priority at this point to be honest.

I can’t create the shortcut on my machine and distribute, it’ll have the wrong path for others.

And yeah I haven’t downloaded the newer redesign theme yet as I needed to keep things rather constant while testing my app to narrow down root causes of issues. Will be updating to the new theme soon.

5 minutes ago, Gilan said:

I can’t create the shortcut on my machine and distribute, it’ll have the wrong path for others.

And yeah I haven’t downloaded the newer redesign theme yet as I needed to keep things rather constant while testing my app to narrow down root causes of issues. Will be updating to the new theme soon.

Are you sure about that? I distribute software quite a lot at the company I work for and machine paths are and can be a nightmare because its different on each machine of course. But, I thought Windows handles this quite nicely.

For example, I have my original path that is sitting in the PokeMMO Mod folder and it works with the shortcut path at the root level as originally described. All good.

image.png.af4501aba14b4af7c64eb56f60c21d63.png

I then move the folder to my documents instead of under my C Drive where the PokeMMO directory sits and I click on the shortcut and it just works. Once I close the utility, I take a look at the path in the properties and it has automatically changed the paths for me. I think this only works because the shortcut is sitting above the entire other directory paths and it knows where to look even though the location as been moved and the shortcut technically should be invalid - but it is not.

image.png.445d856071cf3bf7a57a0c240b7b542c.png

Honestly, the best way to test this is to put your encounter counter into an odd location and make the shortcut at the root level and then send just the shortcut over to me via mediafire. I will then thrown it into my directory and see what the outcome is. This will for sure let us know.