Another way to implement legendaries

ratquaza

Question

Currently, there are only 4 legendaries available and can not be permanently kept in the party, which kind of sucks. Most people enjoy the progression through the games to obtain the legendary Pokemon at the end of the road, and I may have a solution.

Last year, I had been working on a Pixelmon server (Pokemon mod for Minecraft) and struggled to figure out how to give legendaries to players, until I created a system that assigns players a random selection of legendaries that they can get throughout their run.

The way I programmed my system was that each player was assigned a random value between 1 and 100, and all legendaries had a "minimum" and "maximum" range that players needed to be within in order to be able to encounter it. Legendaries inside of a family/trio/due were evenly spread across the 1 to 100 range, while mythicals and legendaries that aren't part of a family would not be spanned evenly across the range.
Here's an example:

The weather trio could have their values be:
Groudon - 1 to 33
Rayquaza - 34 to 65
Kyogre - 66 to 100

So that every player can catch atleast 1 legendary from the weather trio.

Mew - 30 to 60
Mew is not apart of a trio or family, so it could be only caught by about 30% of players. 

In my server, this system worked well. It allowed players to have unique experiences with legendaries that they could encounter and create an incentive to trade (what if I can catch a Kyogre, but I prefer Rayquaza?). In terms of PokeMMO, the value could be tied to the players entire account or a per-character basis (that might not be good for the market) but I genuinely think this would be an interesting way to implement legendaries. All feedback is welcomed! 

Edited by ratquaza
Title change

2 answers to this question

Seems like some players will have instantly better accounts then others if only 30% of players get 2 legends and everyone else only get one.  You would have to add the Legendary Birds for Kanto, Eon Duo for Hoenn, Lunar Duo for Sinnoh, and 3 musketeer Trio for Unova, and use the mechanic above to choose which one or even base it on the starter u choose so people can pick the legend that way(Duos could just be 50/50 shot). This way you can keep the king of the hill legends and everyone get at least 4 weaker legends to use for story.  I would make it so u can only have 1 or 2 in your party at one time for balancing (Gym rematchs would be way too ez) and untradeable. Also, it is well know there is a Pokémon multi-verse, and that all players are within their own universe. Therefor, every legend really should be available to everyone, but for balancing purposes they aren't.  All and all seems like a way to allow legends in the game without upsetting the balance.

Multi-verse explained: