New Challenge Run, Please Help?

2 hours ago, Bryce said:

I'll be harsh, I'm with FighterChamp, I don't think this is possible.

I might be missing something but how is he supposed to learn his HMs? I don't think I've ever seen an AI use Cut, Rock Climb, Defog, etc. If he's using GTL to sketch utility mons or battling actual people who have the HMs on their Pokemon that's one thing, but through natural play against AI trainers? I don't see it.

Also yeah I don't see this beating the Elite 4. Even with Choice Items.

My first big roadblock was Tate & Liza at Mossdeep Gym in Hoenn because it's a double battle. I don't see you overcoming that either.

I could be wrong and might be forgetting something, but I think the inability to learn progression HMs in and of itself is reason for this run to fail.

I've done and completed a similar run before, although my rules were a bit more lax.

In my run I didn't restrict myself to what Smeargle can Sketch in the wild so I was able to do any combination of moves by using my main account and letting Smeargles Sketch what I already had access too (which was pretty much everything). Since he's not doing that and want to only use moves he encounters it'll be more difficult but I still don't think it's impossible.

1. If he manages to get Metronome early on then he should be able to Sketch pretty much anything as long as RNG is nice. Although I'm not sure where to get Metronome.

2. Encore lets him fish for moves so the enemy Pokemon isn't stuck doing the same move over and over again.

I don't remember what I did for the Tate and Liza fight but some ways to do it is use Follow Me or Rage Powder on one Smeargle with Focus Sash so it can guarantee taking two hits, while the other Smeargle use stat upping moves, like Shell Smash then just sweep. Another option is to use Toxic and stall your way to victory. Use moves like Mean Look or Bind to prevent one of them from switching.

Anyways, some tips for this run. I think it was Sinnoh or Unova that forces you to fight with another trainer in a double battle. I remember one of them having a Chansey, make sure to get everything you can from it. Healing moves are pretty good. Also be prepared to lose a lot. Not because it'll be hard but because you're going to want to Sketch moves from trainers and gym leaders so you don't have to try to get those moves in the wild.

Good luck.

8 hours ago, Archiver said:

I've done and completed a similar run before, although my rules were a bit more lax.

In my run I didn't restrict myself to what Smeargle can Sketch in the wild so I was able to do any combination of moves by using my main account and letting Smeargles Sketch what I already had access too (which was pretty much everything). Since he's not doing that and want to only use moves he encounters it'll be more difficult but I still don't think it's impossible.

1. If he manages to get Metronome early on then he should be able to Sketch pretty much anything as long as RNG is nice. Although I'm not sure where to get Metronome.

2. Encore lets him fish for moves so the enemy Pokemon isn't stuck doing the same move over and over again.

I don't remember what I did for the Tate and Liza fight but some ways to do it is use Follow Me or Rage Powder on one Smeargle with Focus Sash so it can guarantee taking two hits, while the other Smeargle use stat upping moves, like Shell Smash then just sweep. Another option is to use Toxic and stall your way to victory. Use moves like Mean Look or Bind to prevent one of them from switching.

Anyways, some tips for this run. I think it was Sinnoh or Unova that forces you to fight with another trainer in a double battle. I remember one of them having a Chansey, make sure to get everything you can from it. Healing moves are pretty good. Also be prepared to lose a lot. Not because it'll be hard but because you're going to want to Sketch moves from trainers and gym leaders so you don't have to try to get those moves in the wild.

Good luck.

Thanks man, I really need all the luck in the world for this run. 

17 hours ago, FighterChamp said:

Saying the truth/what is gonna happen(most possibility)doesn't mean I am rude or some heartless, bad mouth guy.

PokeMMO AIs aren't dumb even if someone manages to reach e4 with this strategy, there are certain points where speed will kill them.

So a straight forward answer might sound rude, harsh but it is truth as far I can imagine. It's totally fun/challange based but still can't change the answer(I think so). 

Good Luck with your run <3 

12 hours ago, Bryce said:

I'll be harsh, I'm with FighterChamp, I don't think this is possible.

I might be missing something but how is he supposed to learn his HMs? I don't think I've ever seen an AI use Cut, Rock Climb, Defog, etc. If he's using GTL to sketch utility mons or battling actual people who have the HMs on their Pokemon that's one thing, but through natural play against AI trainers? I don't see it.

Also yeah I don't see this beating the Elite 4. Even with Choice Items.

My first big roadblock was Tate & Liza at Mossdeep Gym in Hoenn because it's a double battle. I don't see you overcoming that either.

I could be wrong and might be forgetting something, but I think the inability to learn progression HMs in and of itself is reason for this run to fail.

Let me remind to you both that I have watched streams and videos of people who successfully defeated the original Hoenn region with just Mudkip, Ditto and even Shedinja. Also I do know that PokeMMO's Hoenn is a little bit tougher but that doesn't mean that the challenge is impossible to finish. Yes, Smeargle is quite bad, but with the correct strategies and timing, @Bobbi can do the Smeargle run. Even if he loses in the E4, at least he has defeated the gym leaders

Edited by RealMak
7 minutes ago, RealMak said:

Also I do know that PokeMMO's Hoenn is a little bit tougher

PokeMMO's everything is a LOT tougher. That is why I don't think this is possible.

2 hours ago, Bryce said:

PokeMMO's everything is a LOT tougher. That is why I don't think this is possible.

Can't disagree with this to be honest, haha. But that's why I wanted to do this run in the first place, and I'll still try it until the end.

Edited by Bobbi

Hey guys, sorry was not having the time to update. This week has been pretty rough IRL, so I pour all my spare time on PokeMMO. Here is some juicy, major update.

Picking up from the last battle against the rich, smug trainer with his Zigzagoon, we continued our journey from Oldale Town. Now I was being more careful, knowing that in this run my shots are limited thus I had to make everything count. With that new mindset me and Zaiex could win easily against the rich boy. I was kind of disappointed, but that was not for long. Turns out the road ahead was chock full of trainers, ready to prey on my faithful, peace loving Smeargles. One by one, I defeated the trainers, but just like that, each trainer I fought came with a sacrifice; Seeger, Water~, and finally the team's powerhouse, Zaiex. After a gruesome path we finally managed to arrive at Rustboro, making my way straight to the Pokemon Center to save my helpless beagles.

Luckily, our team made it somehow, against all odds. But we'd arrived at Rustboro, and that meant we need to fight our biggest enemy yet; Roxanne. I kne we didn't stand a chance against her at our current condition, but I just need to spy on her team and strategy. So there I went to the gym. I was greeted by Roxanne herself, saying that she's the first gym leader in this Hoenn region. Then as soon as we're done talking, we began fighting. Boy I was in for a surprise.

In short, my team was crushed as if she was playing chess with a clueless 5 year old. A bloody chess. Her rocky Pokemon; Geodude, Aron, and Nosepass; all knew Rock Smash and Rock Tomb, so she proceeded to make a quick work of me. Pascal, Seeger, and the rest can't stand against the raw power that was Roxanne. I couldn't even make a dent on her Pokemon. And finally Zaiex fell unconscious, thus sending me running to the Pokemon center once more..

From there I was feeling defeated. Bad thoughts appeared in my mind. But thanks to my friends, I still had some hope, and fighting spirit. So I began my training and walked east. Long story short, we managed to get all of our bipedal dogs to level 11, from which we learned another set of Sketch:

Water~ and PETA learned Absorb, Zaiex learned Yawn, Pascal and Seeger learned Water Gun

I was thinking back in my mind that for Aron we needed some sort of miracle, so for the final preparation I was about to Sketch Magnitude for my Da Vinchi from Roxanne herself. I believe she had one on her Geodude, so there I went to the gym once more. I put Seeger up front, thinking that I might need to bait her moves somehow. But she sensed my intention, and instead came to me full force with her Nosepass. I won't get this easily. Seeger shot a jet of water from its mouth, but that bounced off Nosepass' body like it was nothing. They proceed to exchange blows until Seeger fell unconscious, Nosepass seemingly still good to fight another round or two. With no sign of her going to use Geodude, I think this attempt was botched, and I might as well try my best. 

Next up was Zaiex. He's stronger than the rest of them and had Yawn, so we might be able to put Nosepass to sleep. So we did use Yawn, and Nosepass punched Zaiex real good with a rock smash. Surprisingly, Zaiex stood strong! Zaiex didn't have any good moves to deal with rock types so I ordered him to use Tackle, which is unsurprisingly didn't even have any effect on Nosepass. Nosepass used Rock Tomb on Zaiex and managed to bring it down to half health. Right after that, Nosepass finally fell asleep.

Knowing that the battle was in a stalemate, we both switched Pokemon. She sent out her Geodude and I sent out Water~. I was ordering him to use absorb when I realized that she's trying to choke my game. She made a double switch to Aron, thus making my absorb useless. It only did about 1/10 of its health. I knew I can't stay much longer in the battle, so I also did a switch, sadly I needed to sacrifice Zaiex so later I could send out either Pascal or Seeger. Aron sent rocks crashing down on my Zaiex, dealing a good damage and hampering my movement. Luckily Zaiex was nimble, so right before Aron dealt the finishing blow he let out a parting gift and Yawned on Aron. Aron managed to use headbutt on Zaiex, making him fell unconscious.

From there on suddenly I saw Roxanne flailing. I could see a winning opportunity here, I said to myself. And somehow, lady luck was on my side! Those two Pokemon was never waking up again until the rest of the battle, where Pascal and Seeger used water gun in tandem to dispatch them away from the fight. Her last Pokemon was Geodude so I knew already that we will win this fight. I used all my best move and I don't even need to copy magnitude anymore!

And just like that, I won! You can say this win was a lucky streak, which I won't argue, but this win was really unexpected because I came to her not with the right mindset, and the journey thus far had been rough on me and my team. So she handed me the Badge, and told us to go to the next gym; the fighting gym!

-To Be Continued-

Good job PETA, for once you make me proud.

updateee.png

1 hour ago, Bobbi said:

I noticed that some have requested to see my current state of my team, but with the limitations of this forum's upload I will do so in my channel, there if you scroll down you can see my current state of Smeargles, as well as the rules

https://www.twitch.tv/leeplayswithfriends/about

Oh damn, I didn't realise you were Lee Plays, a few friends and I were watching you recently when you were streaming on YouTube. Good luck on the challenge, I'll be sure to tune in soon!

36 minutes ago, kuplion said:

Oh damn, I didn't realise you were Lee Plays, a few friends and I were watching you recently when you were streaming on YouTube. Good luck on the challenge, I'll be sure to tune in soon!

Heey I also remember you back when I was streaming on YouTube! Thanks for tuning in ;) Twitch generally gives more pleasant experience for streaming so I took the leap and moved there. Have a great weekend man! 

16 hours ago, Bobbi said:

Hey guys, sorry was not having the time to update. This week has been pretty rough IRL, so I pour all my spare time on PokeMMO. Here is some juicy, major update.

Picking up from the last battle against the rich, smug trainer with his Zigzagoon, we continued our journey from Oldale Town. Now I was being more careful, knowing that in this run my shots are limited thus I had to make everything count. With that new mindset me and Zaiex could win easily against the rich boy. I was kind of disappointed, but that was not for long. Turns out the road ahead was chock full of trainers, ready to prey on my faithful, peace loving Smeargles. One by one, I defeated the trainers, but just like that, each trainer I fought came with a sacrifice; Seeger, Water~, and finally the team's powerhouse, Zaiex. After a gruesome path we finally managed to arrive at Rustboro, making my way straight to the Pokemon Center to save my helpless beagles.

Luckily, our team made it somehow, against all odds. But we'd arrived at Rustboro, and that meant we need to fight our biggest enemy yet; Roxanne. I kne we didn't stand a chance against her at our current condition, but I just need to spy on her team and strategy. So there I went to the gym. I was greeted by Roxanne herself, saying that she's the first gym leader in this Hoenn region. Then as soon as we're done talking, we began fighting. Boy I was in for a surprise.

In short, my team was crushed as if she was playing chess with a clueless 5 year old. A bloody chess. Her rocky Pokemon; Geodude, Aron, and Nosepass; all knew Rock Smash and Rock Tomb, so she proceeded to make a quick work of me. Pascal, Seeger, and the rest can't stand against the raw power that was Roxanne. I couldn't even make a dent on her Pokemon. And finally Zaiex fell unconscious, thus sending me running to the Pokemon center once more..

From there I was feeling defeated. Bad thoughts appeared in my mind. But thanks to my friends, I still had some hope, and fighting spirit. So I began my training and walked east. Long story short, we managed to get all of our bipedal dogs to level 11, from which we learned another set of Sketch:

Water~ and PETA learned Absorb, Zaiex learned Yawn, Pascal and Seeger learned Water Gun

I was thinking back in my mind that for Aron we needed some sort of miracle, so for the final preparation I was about to Sketch Magnitude for my Da Vinchi from Roxanne herself. I believe she had one on her Geodude, so there I went to the gym once more. I put Seeger up front, thinking that I might need to bait her moves somehow. But she sensed my intention, and instead came to me full force with her Nosepass. I won't get this easily. Seeger shot a jet of water from its mouth, but that bounced off Nosepass' body like it was nothing. They proceed to exchange blows until Seeger fell unconscious, Nosepass seemingly still good to fight another round or two. With no sign of her going to use Geodude, I think this attempt was botched, and I might as well try my best. 

Next up was Zaiex. He's stronger than the rest of them and had Yawn, so we might be able to put Nosepass to sleep. So we did use Yawn, and Nosepass punched Zaiex real good with a rock smash. Surprisingly, Zaiex stood strong! Zaiex didn't have any good moves to deal with rock types so I ordered him to use Tackle, which is unsurprisingly didn't even have any effect on Nosepass. Nosepass used Rock Tomb on Zaiex and managed to bring it down to half health. Right after that, Nosepass finally fell asleep.

Knowing that the battle was in a stalemate, we both switched Pokemon. She sent out her Geodude and I sent out Water~. I was ordering him to use absorb when I realized that she's trying to choke my game. She made a double switch to Aron, thus making my absorb useless. It only did about 1/10 of its health. I knew I can't stay much longer in the battle, so I also did a switch, sadly I needed to sacrifice Zaiex so later I could send out either Pascal or Seeger. Aron sent rocks crashing down on my Zaiex, dealing a good damage and hampering my movement. Luckily Zaiex was nimble, so right before Aron dealt the finishing blow he let out a parting gift and Yawned on Aron. Aron managed to use headbutt on Zaiex, making him fell unconscious.

From there on suddenly I saw Roxanne flailing. I could see a winning opportunity here, I said to myself. And somehow, lady luck was on my side! Those two Pokemon was never waking up again until the rest of the battle, where Pascal and Seeger used water gun in tandem to dispatch them away from the fight. Her last Pokemon was Geodude so I knew already that we will win this fight. I used all my best move and I don't even need to copy magnitude anymore!

And just like that, I won! You can say this win was a lucky streak, which I won't argue, but this win was really unexpected because I came to her not with the right mindset, and the journey thus far had been rough on me and my team. So she handed me the Badge, and told us to go to the next gym; the fighting gym!

-To Be Continued-

Good job PETA, for once you make me proud.

updateee.png

Peta OP