Bring event cosmetics back

axx

Question

Here for some more heat.

Suggestion:

Reintroduce event cosmetics from past years in future events.

This would only apply to the common items and not the special boss drops.

How:

- Make them a low-rate drop in future events of the same type as the originals.

- Each event select 1 or 2 old items to return at random.

- Or you could bring them back as dungeon drops.

Why:

It's plainly unfair for new players. There are already [Time limited] items and [Untradeable] boss drops which act as rewards for the loyalty of old players.

The event items, as far as I knew, were never intended to be limited. Exactly what do staff is trying to accomplish here with turning them into exclusives is beyond me.

Heck, two years we had the same event with the exact same drops.

For years they were a high risk investment until a SGM decided to decree that they would not be coming back. 

This clearly has now sealed the deal as far as big pokeyen is concerned.  But hear me out,  their ridiculous prices don't bring anything for the economy.

We have just diverted from the money-centered economy you wanted to one centered around items. It's the lucky eggs all over again.

Pros:

- You can reduce the toll of designing new items as the old ones would create sufficient hype by themselves.

- New players get something to look forwards to instead of being told that not even after 10 years of constant farming they could buy one.

- Event items can actually be traded freely for reasonable prices, which creates more use for the now dying pokeyen.

- Players won't have to "donate" absurd amounts of money just to amass enough pokeyen to get their hands on a haunted lucky egg costume.

Cons:

- Hoarders might cry

- Gatekeepers might cry

- Players won't have to "donate" absurd amounts of money just to amass enough pokeyen to get their hands on a haunted lucky egg costume.

Was this the real driving force behind your change of view? I'm sorry to be blunt here but all your latest decisions point that way.

Edited by axx

7 answers to this question

As broken as the system and prices are for the event items, it's already been confirmed that Event Only and Time Limited items will never return so I can't see this happening.

Realistically the best thing to do is re-introduce Seasonal and other items in unique ways, which usually return anyway.

At first we weren't really sure what we wanted out of them, but we realized fairly quickly that re-releasing them would be a bad idea. I don't believe that we've ever re-released an event item without a seasonal tag either (and those were only introduced this year).

Event items have been kept exclusive to their release year largely because they act as the free player's limiteds, giving them something they can earn through gameplay during the event that will gain value over time. If these players are smart and patient with the items they earn, they can play the hoarding/investing game the same way donators do without paying a cent or being rich in-game already.

If we unexpectedly re-released a single old event item, it would not only instantly crash the entire event item market overnight and kill a lot of trust players have in us, it would also arguably have the opposite effect to what you seem to want long-term. While it would make the older items more accessible, it would come at the cost of the vast majority of free players losing the ability to participate in the same sort of passive value gain that donators do with RP limiteds. It creates even more disparity between the two groups.

The value of anything with a limited release, regardless of where it came from, is decided by players based on supply and demand. it's quite silly to pretend that it's anything else, especially when these items were free rewards earned by playing the game.

7 hours ago, axx said:

New players get something to look forwards to instead of being told that not even after 10 years of constant farming they could buy one.

Lol economy is broken as hell, adding the suggestion with this hope will barely work, it will make people sad even new people won't be happy as there will be no profit on getting the event only item, people will only invest on Time Limited. Cosmetic items are not going to come in a normal situation.. just NEVER!

On 5/28/2021 at 7:21 PM, Rache said:

At first we weren't really sure what we wanted out of them, but we realized fairly quickly that re-releasing them would be a bad idea...

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I just want to address a couple points but in the end it all comes down to personal opinion, I believe.

I agree that it is interesting to have something 'free' that will increase value over time.

That being said, I'm not convinced that an economy where people becomes rich just by playing a season and then quitting for a few years is really healthy (This is what I do heh).

Imho worth should come from effort (PvE) and proficiency at the game (PvP), not just from smart economic decisions (GTL).  As things stand now consistent effort and actually winning battles is not doing anything for players. What we take from your stance is "donate/do events is a must to accumulate top wealth."

Non-donators can also play the hoarding/investing game thanks to limited time items being trade-able. I also believe that having a larger pool of limited items hurts the ones with the actual [Limited time] tag.

"The value of anything with a limited release, regardless of where it came from, is decided by players based on supply and demand."

That's exactly it. If you cut the supply off, prices will just skyrocket. The potential for future release of event items can slow down this cost increase so items are not effectively unattainable. If you play it smart with an aleatory release model, then value can be retained for the holders and hope is provided for newcomers. You would get lots of additional interest in future events.

I agree that the time for a decision is somewhat past, however. The decision was open up to the point you disclosed that event items were effectively limited.

That being said I like that there is now a "Event only + Seasonal" tag combo, really interested to see how these items will fare. However, I believe the counterpart is missing; the event items are really not coming back should have a "Event only + Time limited" tag.

Edited by axx
15 hours ago, axx said:

Imho worth should come from effort (PvE) and proficiency at the game (PvP), not just from smart economic decisions (GTL).

this just shows how broken the education system is tbh