Why is the Cursed Mask have the face clipping through on the side views?

I really like how the cursed mask looks with my outfit but the face clipping through on the side views looks really strange and kind of ruins the item for me. I've also seen that it clips on and off through the frontal view while surfing as in the picture linked below. Is there any chance this will be fixed in the future or is this a well known issue?

Image1.PNG

sefsf.PNG

Edited by Xivv
Added more info on this clipping

Hi, so there is a good explanation for this.

Almost all hats have something called a 'Hair Mask' .

The Hair Mask is made up of magenta colored pixels surrounding the hat.

Any pixels of hair underneath the mask is told to render as transparent - this is done to maximize compatibility among all hairstyles, and to make things look 'clean'.

By 'compatibility', I mean that players are able to equip the hat without the hairstyle they are using needing to be swapped out due to pixels being cut off, or things looking particularly messy etc.

Here is an example of a hair mask:

image.png.625a40b4606de7a228466206b0fd3a8c.png

As you can see, it has a particular cut off point around the ears, and also cover the face.

This is also the case for the Jester Hat you are using above.

The issue here is that the Cursed Mask is categorized as a 'Hairstyle' rather than a hat.

The reason for this is because in its initial design it was much larger, and when the player faced forward, if it was categorized as a hat its pixels would have overlapped the hair when facing forward (which would look very weird, because of course if the character is facing away, the hair should be in front of a mask on the characters face).

As such, it is being affected by the Hair Mask on the Jester Hat.

In the more modern revision of the Cursed Mask, it has been consolidated down, and it's now possible to categorize it as a 'Hat', as intended.

However I have been requesting this change for some years now, and it seems it has been lost on the backburner, so I'll try and poke the relevant people to get it changed.

8 hours ago, Darkshade said:

Hi, so there is a good explanation for this.

Almost all hats have something called a 'Hair Mask' .

The Hair Mask is made up of magenta colored pixels surrounding the hat.

Any pixels of hair underneath the mask is told to render as transparent - this is done to maximize compatibility among all hairstyles, and to make things look 'clean'.

By 'compatibility', I mean that players are able to equip the hat without the hairstyle they are using needing to be swapped out due to pixels being cut off, or things looking particularly messy etc.

Here is an example of a hair mask:

image.png.625a40b4606de7a228466206b0fd3a8c.png

As you can see, it has a particular cut off point around the ears, and also cover the face.

This is also the case for the Jester Hat you are using above.

The issue here is that the Cursed Mask is categorized as a 'Hairstyle' rather than a hat.

The reason for this is because in its initial design it was much larger, and when the player faced forward, if it was categorized as a hat its pixels would have overlapped the hair when facing forward (which would look very weird, because of course if the character is facing away, the hair should be in front of a mask on the characters face).

As such, it is being affected by the Hair Mask on the Jester Hat.

In the more modern revision of the Cursed Mask, it has been consolidated down, and it's now possible to categorize it as a 'Hat', as intended.

However I have been requesting this change for some years now, and it seems it has been lost on the backburner, so I'll try and poke the relevant people to get it changed.

Ah I see, thank you for the detailed explanation. It all makes sense now since I noticed the same thing happening with other hats as well so it makes sense why it's not just the jester hat this is happening with. Hopefully you poking around might get this change fixed and shipped sometime soon as it doesn't seem like the hardest fix in the world.