Ocarinas are the same thing as adding healing to Secret Bases

Airaca

Question

The ability of using your secret base as a mobile Pokemon Center for late game in Hoenn and Johto is a great idea. Here's why.

1. It creates a solid endgame goal, with the benefit of unlocking countless efficient grinding areas.

2. Late game players should be able to use their hundreds of hours of time into the game in order to make it easier and more customized for their experience. That's just good game design. Not an exploit.

3. It does not in anyway, disrupt gameplay. This is an outdated argument. With the inclusion of

-Ocarinas,
-Changes to the Breeding System,  
-Day and Night cycles everywhere, 

-Swarms and Hordes everywhere,

-Etc,

There is no excuse that changing the gameplay of the late game to benefit the community is a detrimental change.
In fact, I think that secret bases should be added to all regions, and should be even MORE beneficial features, such as things like a PokeMart Amazon style delivery system.  

I am a Game Developer of 5 years, and I understand the hesitation when it comes to adding new content that will completely change how the late game is played.
However, there is little prestige in post game pokeMMO currently, 'competitive, dex completion, vanity items'  and it would 100% benefit from more endgame goals.

Edited by Airaca

2 answers to this question

Hi there and welcome!

As I understand it, the main reason that is given for no healing in secret bases is that it would subvert the leppa economy for horde encounters in areas where you can place a secret base. This would further decrease the value of shinies from hordes you can encounter in Hoenn, and makes EV training cheaper as well. Money sinks are important in an MMO's economy to help prevent inflation.

Hope this helps!

Couldn't the PC itself be a huge money sink?

Also, just because an item is used a lot in the current game, doesn't mean it always needs to be that way. A growable cheap alternative to ethers has already got enough use as it is. Why attempt to increase the market value of a very specific item that can easily be replaced? I understand MMO's have an economy, and that every change needs to be thoroughly thought out before implementation, but I still don't think adding it to the game would be that much of an issue.

Most late game players just grind using Pay Day and stock up on hundreds of potions, and probably ethers too if leppas weren't easier to obtain,
from PokeMarts, which has no real impact on the economy, same goes for repels. 

Useful items will always have a use, secret bases aren't everywhere, such as underwater, in dungeons, other regions, and even in a lot of routes. 
These places will still require players to stock up on items if needed, most of these items aren't even connected to the in game economy.

Plus with the future inclusion of things like raids/new dungeons, those items will see even more usage.

And actually, adding another large money sink, like ocarinas would probably balance out some of the fluctuations. Or you could even make healing at a secret base cost something to de-incentivize using them too much.

Shiny's will always be worth a lot, 1/30000 chance is a crazy high number and easier access to horde farming more than likely wouldn't change the market value substantially enough to notice a difference. 

Players have been wanting this feature since the game came out, and during my research I still haven't found a good enough reason to convince me why it shouldn't be in the game.

At the very least, add something to secret bases to make them more useful other than contests on occasion. Quality of life changes are also a huge part of MMOs after all. Sometimes convenience needs to outweigh the grind, esp. late game. 

Edited by Airaca