PokeMMO Economy/Breeding

IrvingX27

Question

Im new to PokeMMO so I may be somewhat uninformed but as far as I know when breeding pokemon the parents are lost/unusable for the sake of the economy to stay intact however, what if pokemon that are bought aren't allowed to be put in the breeders? The breeder could say some excuse like "only the original trainer can breed thier pokemon" or something like that but this way people can keep the parent pokemons, it would also be easier for new players to undertand and this way it would incentivize poeple to breed more pokemon and people who sell pokemon are able to sell pokemon who are more in demand and people who buy have more options to buy from. I think it would help bring new players to the game and would also help the existing players and the economy with this change but im open to suggestions/criticism if my idea can be improved on and maybe eventually implemented into the game. 

5 answers to this question

I think this would crash like everything.
There is the "job" of a breeder, who buys pokemon with specific IV's to breed them on demand, which would be lost.
There is the "job" of a breeder farmer, who catches mons to sell them for breeders, which would be lost.

Plus I do not see any benefit from the suggested system...

1 hour ago, n0xor said:

I think this would crash like everything.
There is the "job" of a breeder, who buys pokemon with specific IV's to breed them on demand, which would be lost.
There is the "job" of a breeder farmer, who catches mons to sell them for breeders, which would be lost.

Plus I do not see any benefit from the suggested system...

Maybe if the pokemon has less than 4 or 5 perfect IV's it can still be used for breeding after its bought? Would that solve that issue?

Hi there and welcome!

The designers of PokeMMO had several years of experience designing and developing MMOs before they started this game, so I'm inclined to trust their decisions on how the economy is structured in the game.

In MMOs it's important that there are both ways that money can be made and ways it can be spent. This stops money from becoming too worthless (too many ways to generate and not enough ways to consume) or becoming too valuable (vice-versa).

The breeding mechanics are the way they are because it brings several strong benefits to the economy. Here are just a few:

• People can make money by catching pokemon and selling them

• Money is consumed by the above people buying and using pokeballs from the in-game shop

• People with lots of money value their time more than their money, thus they will spend it to avoid tedious things (like catching or breeding). This helps distribute money from rich players to poor ones.

• Breeding pokemon sinks money as well since you have to buy power items which are consumed

• Everstones also need to be consumed but can only be farmed from wild pokemon, creating another avenue for poor players to make money from rich players via the GTL

• You can even make money simply by breeding, as breeding is also a tedious process which a rich player might pay to skip

• All of these things require grinding, which requires playing the game, which keeps a playerbase active and gives them things to do

Changing the breeding mechanics to function more like the cartridge games would destroy some or all of these benefits. Indeed, the price of competitive pokemon would crash overnight if this was implemented, since they'd suddenly be significantly easier to make, and thus more common and less valuable.

I appreciate that this mechanic can be confusing or frustrating at first for new players, but this game is an MMO, not simply an amalgamation of cartridge games. It needs to be balanced primarily for end-game players.

By most accounts, new players tend to play through the story on each region, then get bored and leave. I don't think changing the breeding mechanics would help retain these players, as they're typically casual enough pokemon fans that they aren't super interested in comp/shiny hunting to begin with (the main passtimes of people who play exorbitant amounts of pokemon like I have done).

I hope you don't feel like I'm attacking your idea; we're generally quite supportive of people genuinely trying to help! However, I think that the devs have made a very clever decision with the breeding mechanic and that it shouldn't be changed much from how it is, if at all.

Hope this helps!

On 4/29/2021 at 4:59 AM, MoxPeanut said:

Hi there and welcome!

The designers of PokeMMO had several years of experience designing and developing MMOs before they started this game, so I'm inclined to trust their decisions on how the economy is structured in the game.

In MMOs it's important that there are both ways that money can be made and ways it can be spent. This stops money from becoming too worthless (too many ways to generate and not enough ways to consume) or becoming too valuable (vice-versa).

The breeding mechanics are the way they are because it brings several strong benefits to the economy. Here are just a few:

• People can make money by catching pokemon and selling them

• Money is consumed by the above people buying and using pokeballs from the in-game shop

• People with lots of money value their time more than their money, thus they will spend it to avoid tedious things (like catching or breeding). This helps distribute money from rich players to poor ones.

• Breeding pokemon sinks money as well since you have to buy power items which are consumed

• Everstones also need to be consumed but can only be farmed from wild pokemon, creating another avenue for poor players to make money from rich players via the GTL

• You can even make money simply by breeding, as breeding is also a tedious process which a rich player might pay to skip

• All of these things require grinding, which requires playing the game, which keeps a playerbase active and gives them things to do

Changing the breeding mechanics to function more like the cartridge games would destroy some or all of these benefits. Indeed, the price of competitive pokemon would crash overnight if this was implemented, since they'd suddenly be significantly easier to make, and thus more common and less valuable.

I appreciate that this mechanic can be confusing or frustrating at first for new players, but this game is an MMO, not simply an amalgamation of cartridge games. It needs to be balanced primarily for end-game players.

By most accounts, new players tend to play through the story on each region, then get bored and leave. I don't think changing the breeding mechanics would help retain these players, as they're typically casual enough pokemon fans that they aren't super interested in comp/shiny hunting to begin with (the main passtimes of people who play exorbitant amounts of pokemon like I have done).

I hope you don't feel like I'm attacking your idea; we're generally quite supportive of people genuinely trying to help! However, I think that the devs have made a very clever decision with the breeding mechanic and that it shouldn't be changed much from how it is, if at all.

Hope this helps!

No this helps me undertand the reasoning behind why this are made how they are. Im a returning pokemon fan and completely new to PokeMMO and MMO in general so i was really surprised for these changes i noticed and thought of them to be unneeded or somewhat strange but the reality of it is that the changes are required for the survivability of the economy and PokeMMO in general.