May-Movement Discussion Thread

@Munya I appreciate your efforts but the "ban xxx" will never end. 

Besides that though, PoryZ pretty damn stronk and it's recent statistics make it look even more impressive (high usage and win rate). I'm leaning towards ban, but will need another cycle to see how players continue to adapt. There's been just a handful of tournaments so far and matchmaking is kinda lame to gather information from. 

With our current usage right now, P-Z outspeeds 2/3 of the tier. The 12 mons that outspeed P-Z all get OHKO by Spec Tri Attack from P-Z and less than half of them have access to a move that can OHKO P-Z. I think it's safe to say that P-Z is an extremely serious and dangerous threat.

It may not be able to hard switch on much, but it's not that difficult to get a free switch thanks to u-turn, volt switch, teleport or simply as a revenge killer. When I look at UU, I only see 5 mons that can switch into Tri Attack Spec Porygon-Z: Bronzong (Special Wall), Dusclops, Empoleon, Gigalith and Spiritomb. Anything else that switches into a Tri Attack either dies or has a very decent chance of dying. So pretty much, in UU, without any prediction, there are only 5 possible switches into a monoattacking P-Z. 

The problem is that Porygon-Z has more than 1 move and has several tools to handle these 5 answers. Special wall Bronzong, on top on not being super viable, is also vulnerable to Tri Attack 20% status proc, Trick and can only fightback with a very underwhelming Gyro Ball. Dusclops is also vulnerable to Trick, has no way to fightback and can get 2HKO by Dark Pulse or Shadow Ball. Empoleon is also vulnerable to Tri Attack 20% status proc, can get 2HKO by Tbolt and can't OHKO Porygon-Z. Spiritomb also doesn't have any good way of damaging P-Z and can also be threathen by P-Z other coverage moves. Gigalith is by far the best answer and remains vulnerable to Tri attack 20% status proc. Even though some of these mons work, most of them are not very impressive or fail to stop P-Z reliably.

25 minutes ago, ThinkNicer said:

Rhyperior can also take advantage from a locked P-Z. 

Rhyperior is the only mon I somewhat agree with here and that's only if it comes in as a revenge killer or if it is careful max spdef.. In which case it has at best 2 turns to switch into a mono-attacking specs Porygon-z provided there are no rocks or tri attack burn/freeze. If it gets burnt then p-z doesn't even have to switch

Forre (spdef) 

??

I don't see how it's much different from Conk in OU from a possible checks/answers perspective. Forre (spdef) and Rhyperior can also take advantage from a locked P-Z. Maybe umbreon will come back with his Synchronize 'no u' kek

Umbreon takes specs hits with no rocks or burn, but all it can do is wish and prot in p-z's face. If it takes a turn to foul play then it loses 1v1, and even then foul play does nothing to p-z so it's not worth it. Granted para synch would cripple p-z but to have to rely on that as the win condition in this scenario is pretty lame

Edited by Zymogen
59 minutes ago, ThinkNicer said:

I don't see how it's much different from Conk in OU from a possible checks/answers perspective. Forre (spdef) and Rhyperior can also take advantage from a locked P-Z. Maybe umbreon will come back with his Synchronize 'no u' kek

very good contribution, thank you sir

I don't know if I would vote yes to a PorygonZ ban since there hasn't been many tournaments or information to gather from, but from what I've seen it can be extremely deadly vs offensive teams and it forces people to run things like rest on Gigalith or SpDef Bronzong (which is not ideal). Imo it is a very centralizing mon and extremely simple to use which makes it even worse, it requires almost no skill, since anyone can run it and just click tri-attack and maybe get a win off that. We wouldn't want a meta based off this, right? 

51 minutes ago, LeJovi said:

very good contribution, thank you sir

I don't know if I would vote yes to a PorygonZ ban since there hasn't been many tournaments or information to gather from, but from what I've seen it can be extremely deadly vs offensive teams and it forces people to run things like rest on Gigalith or SpDef Bronzong (which is not ideal). Imo it is a very centralizing mon and extremely simple to use which makes it even worse, it requires almost no skill, since anyone can run it and just click tri-attack and maybe get a win off that. We wouldn't want a meta based off this, right? 

Judging from the fact that we still got items like quick claw, king's rock or brightpowder allowed, I dare to say that staff actually wants to make this game much less skill-dependant and more luck reliant. Thus, I believe that pory-z should stay

Edited by RysPicz

While it still has some backdraws, namely its poor bulk and average speed (tho its not really that bad considering its a wallbreaker imo), I think specs pz its a bit too much for the tier. It has no 4ms, no move with shitty acurracy and its only solid answers are gigalith, sassy bronzong and careful spiritomb, plus the last two are bad and they all lack reliable recovery. I'm not saying that pz has 0 counterplay, and there haven't been that many uu tours where we can see it in action, but from what I've seen so far I believe that pz is overcentralizing and the metagame will be better if it gets banned.