Search GTL using text query language

Damian

Question

Hi all,

In addition to PokeMMO, I'm a huge fan of Magic: The Gathering, a collectible card game with over 15,000 unique cards. As you can imagine, with so many different cards, it's often difficult to find a card that you need or want to remember exactly. However, you can significantly narrow your search if you know only a few properties; it's a Blue creature with 2 power and cmc=3, for example.

The website Scryfall (and its predecessor, magiccards.info) implement a simple full-text query language for defining the properties you'd like; for example, if I wanted to perform the above search, I type into Scryfall:

t=c c=u pow=2 cmc=3

and you receive a response that looks like this

I propose something similar for the GTL. The GTL's advanced search is quite useful, but it's not perfect. Even so, having to navigate it via the graphical interface can be a little slow and clunky. It would be much easier if I could just type into the search box:

mon=ferroseed sex=f nat=relaxed atk>29 spe=0 sort=lowprice

and see all the female Ferroseeds with Relaxed natures with 30 or 31 attack IV and 0 speed, sorted by low to high price, for example.

This would have the additional benefit of allowing the developers to add new search parameters to GTL easily, since they don't necessarily need to fit it into the GUI (presumably if it's niche enough that it doesn't go in there, only players sufficiently advanced to be bothered learning the query language would need it).

I hope there are other people like me who would get value from this, as I'd find it very helpful :)

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet