Remove hax items and hax abilities from competitive play.

18 hours ago, Lvkee said:

No dev response? Coming up to 2 months. 

I'll keep hammering until i get a response!

@Kyu@Squirtle@Desu @Rache

I'm fairly indifferent on the items. As has been repeated multiple times thoughout the thread, these items are bad, so it's not really a problem for the TC to address in the first place imo. Obviously they're just not fun to play against so it's an emotional topic.

I am more interested in why this type of RNG is being rejected yet others like Snow Cloak/Sand Veil are more readily accepted by the community. I'd guess it's because they occur less often and abilities are more innate than items/moves, so you can see them coming, and you can't take them away without violating the characteristics of a species. Though, as has been mentioned in that smogon thread- it begs the question why others like BrightPowder have also been rejected.

Anyway, smogon constrains themselves by the rules of the rom games, but we don't, so I don't really care what solution they ended up with. It is more our style to nerf something into the ground than delete it. We'd already decided last month(?) that the items need to broadcast their existence on sendout, but I'd be interested in rates adjustments as well.

3 hours ago, Kyu said:

I'm fairly indifferent on the items. As has been repeated multiple times thoughout the thread, these items are bad, so it's not really a problem for the TC to address in the first place imo. Obviously they're just not fun to play against so it's an emotional topic.

I am more interested in why this type of RNG is being rejected yet others like Snow Cloak/Sand Veil are more readily accepted by the community. I'd guess it's because they occur less often and abilities are more innate than items/moves, so you can see them coming, and you can't take them away without violating the characteristics of a species. Though, as has been mentioned in that smogon thread- it begs the question why others like BrightPowder have also been rejected.

Anyway, smogon constrains themselves by the rules of the rom games, but we don't, so I don't really care what solution they ended up with. It is more our style to nerf something into the ground than delete it. We'd already decided last month(?) that the items need to broadcast their existence on sendout, but I'd be interested in rates adjustments as well.

The issue with Snow Cloak and Sand Veil is that those two, while being equally disgusting in competitive environment, actually require specific circumstances (weather + ability abuser) to be activated.

The only mons capable of abusing Snow Cloak are Froslass, Beartic and Glaceon, which are not exactly common NU mons thus the problem with this particular ability's case is abysmal, especially because the hail setters in NU are as uncommon (Vanilluxe, Abomasnow).

Sand veil on the other hand gets used much more often as there are two sand setters in OU, both being widely used (Hippo and Tyranitar, together holding around 25% of usage) and Garchomp being the most common OU mon.

When it comes to items like Brightpowder, those are much more difficult to detect due to lack of any kind of announcement that the item has activated and even less often used (and if they are- then it's most likely in doubles).

Quick claw and King's Rock have a bigger impact during fights as there are more mons that can abuse them in every tier (OU- Cloyster, UU/ NU- any fast mon with Beat Up when it comes to King's Rock and Quick Claw is plain cancer).

If you want to adjust the items, I'd suggest making King's Rock hit only on the first move on the multi-hit moves and not all of 5 (or 6). That would be a good step for things to go in the right direction. There are many more smarter people than me who can possibly come up with some other solutions regarding other abilities/ items, as I haven't got any idea about these just yet.

• 1 month later...
  • Munya pinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.