2021 and still no hidden abilities?

greenspade

Question

Okay so I made this suggestion back 05/04/2018 cuz I was pretty choked my beartic couldn't use swift swim or slush rush.

I was told the "reason" they wanted to withhold part of the game and restrict these hidden abilities and extra abilities was cuz "they where going to add some dumbshit cave where you could find pokemon with these hidden abilities you could than breed into your other pokemon" effectively making all of our already built pokemon useless or simply breeding materials to use towards breeding with the hidden abilities pokemon.

This idea is just bluntly bad.

We're 3 years latter and its still not happening..... So can we just say "good try" and put the damn hidden abilities and extra abilities in the game so we can actually use pokemon properly as they are meant to?

Some of the pokemon (my beloved beartic for example) feel extremely broken since hes meant to be used with slush rush or swift swim to increase his speed and since hes unable to do that hes just a super slow guy who feels broken cuz hes not working properly.

Why leave the game in this state? I mean pokemon are legit unusable atm cuz their abilities haven't been finished.... Look at how you massacred my boy beartic, hes a disfigured and disabled version of his true self... its sad to see... 

13 hours ago, noomuch said:

they're in-game, but we don't have access to it (yet)

Yeah thats the problem, they are withholding parts of the game and honestly I think its super crappy to be like "no we're gona hold onto this cuz we cant think of anything else to add as a feature without this"

9 hours ago, Financier said:

Nice joke suggestion guys april first hahaha

Yeah its a huge joke that we're 3 years later and they won't let us have hidden abilities.

Hey, remember when devs released a dev blog in 2018 saying they hoped to get dungeons and HA's out to us within "2 weeks" and then when 2 weeks passed they released another update stating that a certain community was doing too much botting/RMT for them to actually work on the game due to the amount of ban appeals they had to reply to? Yeah! I remember that too! 3 years later and nothing ^_^

Just wanna point out - in regards to (but not limited to) legendaries, dungeons, the hidden mew under the truck, the fact you don't believe the shiny rate is fair, the very existence of PokeMMO & the reason mass daily RP donators get rare shinys way easier- they've stated before that Dungeons is used as their "go-to" scapegoat. This has been their mass response excuse to when players question why the game is the way it is since 2012 (when the first players started asking why Mewtwo and the bird trio couldn't be caught).

It''s a bit funny to me that anyone takes them serious when they mention major updates or dungeons in general. Once they said HA's were going to be dungeon exclusive, it was obvious that it was a charade.  

If anyone hasn't read this post yet, I encourage you to, as it's extremely relevant:

7 minutes ago, awkways said:

Hey, remember when devs released a dev blog in 2018 saying they hoped to get dungeons and HA's out to us within "2 weeks" and then when 2 weeks passed they released another update stating that a certain community was doing too much botting/RMT for them to actually work on the game due to the amount of ban appeals they had to reply to? Yeah! I remember that too! 3 years later and nothing ^_^

Just wanna point out - in regards to (but not limited to) legendaries, dungeons, the hidden mew under the truck, the fact you don't believe the shiny rate is fair, the very existence of PokeMMO & the reason mass daily RP donators get rare shinys way easier- they've stated before that Dungeons is used as their "go-to" scapegoat. This has been their mass response excuse to when players question why the game is the way it is since 2012 (when the first players started asking why Mewtwo and the bird trio couldn't be caught).

It''s a bit funny to me that anyone takes them serious when they mention major updates or dungeons in general. Once they said HA's were going to be dungeon exclusive, it was obvious that it was a charade.  

If anyone hasn't read this post yet, I encourage you to, as it's extremely relevant:

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about, "soon" "two weeks" and now "3 years later still no hidden abilities or even 2ndary abilities on some pokes in the game"

Like damn 3 years later and I STILL can't  use my beartic? What the hell, why snub a pokemon this harshly by eliminating the two things that make him viable. Hidden abilities is one thing but why isn't slush rush on him and why can't I take a pill to switch his ability to slush rush?

Why leave the game broken like this.... its like..... theres comp pvp.... but if you disable half the pokemon by removing their abilities than obviously your going to make it so only some pokes are legitimately useful for pvp.... Whole thing bugs me alot that some pokemon are useless purely due to them being in game, but not finished.

5 minutes ago, Kyklous said:

Um...you do realize slush rush is a gen 7 ability, right? I mean, hidden abilities are one thing, but we're definitely far from making the jump to gen 7 pokemon, moves, and abilities.

I'm saying that bearic without EITHER makes him fairly useless.

No slush rush is one thing.

But ALSO no swift swim?

Thats his whole thing, his speed stat is so low cuz hes meant to be using one of the two of these.

Edited by greenspade

It's hard to say such and such pokemon was DESIGNED to be played with them because then it wouldn't be a hidden ability, it would be its normal ability. Your mistake is seeing hidden abilities as more or less a 3rd ability, but allow me to remind you hidden abilities were not something you could just get right away in gen 5. Hidden abilities were something released in waves over the span of the generation, and some pokemon never even got theirs until gen 6.

Let's return to the example of Beartic. Out of the 3 years gen 5 lasted, Beartic spent 2 of them with just Snow Cloak and finally got Swift Swim in Black 2 and White 2, not as a normal ability but a hidden ability. Why? It still had an open ability slot. Is it not because Game Freak somehow saw hidden abilities as more significant than just an additional ability.

Returning to your original question, why don't we just tack on hidden abilities? Why are we going through the effort of making it harder than simply having a chance of finding hidden abilities in the wild or something? Because Pokemon went through the effort.

4 minutes ago, Kyklous said:

It's hard to say such and such pokemon was DESIGNED to be played with them because then it wouldn't be a hidden ability, it would be its normal ability. Your mistake is seeing hidden abilities as more or less a 3rd ability, but allow me to remind you hidden abilities were not something you could just get right away in gen 5. Hidden abilities were something released in waves over the span of the generation, and some pokemon never even got theirs until gen 6.

Let's return to the example of Beartic. Out of the 3 years gen 5 lasted, Beartic spent 2 of them with just Snow Cloak and finally got Swift Swim in Black 2 and White 2, not as a normal ability but a hidden ability. Why? It still had an open ability slot. Is it not because Game Freak somehow saw hidden abilities as more significant than just an additional ability.

Returning to your original question, why don't we just tack on hidden abilities? Why are we going through the effort of making it harder than simply having a chance of finding hidden abilities in the wild or something? Because Pokemon went through the effort.

I disagree with what your saying, just cuz its a hidden ability doesn't mean it should've been a regular ability, hidden abilities are there for a reason as part of the game and make the pokemon who they are.

Miss me with all the bs your going off about; I was promised hidden abilities SOON in 2018 and we're in 2021; where are my hidden abilities?

The dev's promised something and have not delivered.. why you defending them? This should've been in the game 3 years ago.

Edited by greenspade

Oi, mate you missed the point that I was trying to emphasize. I never said hidden abilities had no business being in the game. I was mostly talking about the difficulty of acquisition and the time gap between when Beartic was introduced (2010) and when it got its hidden ability (2012) therefore suggesting that waiting for hidden abilities has precedence.

Now regarding why I'm defending the devs. Well, for one it's a situation where they can't defend themselves because anything they say would just sound like an excuse, but more importantly they never actually lied. They said hidden abilities are coming, but they never even hinted as to when that would be.

Am I disappointed Sinnoh came before we got dungeons? Of course, but I still have room to wait before doubting them.

8 hours ago, Kyklous said:

Oi, mate you missed the point that I was trying to emphasize. I never said hidden abilities had no business being in the game. I was mostly talking about the difficulty of acquisition and the time gap between when Beartic was introduced (2010) and when it got its hidden ability (2012) therefore suggesting that waiting for hidden abilities has precedence.

Now regarding why I'm defending the devs. Well, for one it's a situation where they can't defend themselves because anything they say would just sound like an excuse, but more importantly they never actually lied. They said hidden abilities are coming, but they never even hinted as to when that would be.

Am I disappointed Sinnoh came before we got dungeons? Of course, but I still have room to wait before doubting them.

Nothing you said matters or is reality.

Beartic getting hidden ability in 2012 and being made in 2010 doesn't change the fact that game freak added swift swim to make the character viable cuz they obviously seen that his speed was causing him to not be used, so they fixed him and made him how they intended him to be by adding swift swim.

Again, gamefreak seen a problem and fixed it....  No amount of bullshit stories from you will change that reality, beartic was not working as intended and they gave him slush rush & swift swim in order to bring him more in line with other pokemon and make him more usable, it was their attempt to pull him out of the "never used box"

Thats my whole point your missing here; beartic is unusable in his current state and gamefreak fixed that by adding swift swim. Suggesting that "once upon a time he didn't have swift swim" doesn't matter at all cuz he was again given swift swim as a way to fix a pokemon they can clearly see was not keeping up with the rest of the meta.

Thats the problem; by preventing these hidden abilities from being in the game, its removing the viability of pokemon that could've been used but won't ever be used purely cuz they are missing abilities that make them useful.

"They said hidden abilities are coming, but they never even hinted as to when that would be." Is this a joke? They said SOON in 2018, we where even told 2 weeks for a update on it, they played like it was going to happen like that year, don't give me this bullshit of they never hinted as to when it would be when you can scroll up a couple posts and see for yourself they said soon in 2018.

No matter how you look at this "soon" is not 3 years later.

No matter how you look at this gamefreak added swift swim to beartic to fix a pokemon they viewed as not keeping up with the meta <--- and since we don't have swift swim on beartic that means hes sub-par in todays meta and nobody uses him.

Beartic is the perfect example of why hidden abilities matter cuz hes useless without his in pvp, but could possibly be very strong in pvp with swift swim.

Beartic with 102 speed and 200atk is a slow bruser without the bulk of hp or def/mdef to be able to actually take a hit.

Beartic with swift swim makes him 204 speed (faster than jolt or aero) and 200atk makes him actually quite a strong and fearsome pvp pokemon.

Beartic is the perfect example cuz he could be a serious problem in pvp if used correctly and if he had his hidden ability.

But without his hidden ability theres no way to use him correctly in pvp or any way for him to sweep or be viable to use in pvp, he honestly sucks really bad without swift swim cuz thats the one thing that makes him usable, thats why gamefreak gave it to him; they seen how useless he was without it and this was the way of solving a huge problem with the pokemon; its insane lack of speed.

Again your missing the entire point; beartic could be very viable in pvp but cuz hes missing his hidden ability him, like other pokemon, are not even thought about in pvp....

Don't you think its silly that everybody use's the same overused pokemon? Thats cuz half the pokemon are not viable due to their hidden abilities or 2ndary abilities being missing.... If we had hidden abilities you'd see the meta change alot... But we don't so the meta has mainly stayed the same, mainly prioritiziing flat stats or pokemon lucky enough to have a decent regular ability.

Look, man. I agree with you when you say hidden abilities would be fun to have, but the meta being stale and the viability of pokemon are not good arguments.

Here's what would happen if you give pokemon hidden abilities. The same exact thing that happens when you add anything to the metagame. The meta would be shaken up for a bit and then everything would settle with some pokemon coming out on top. That's because that's how pokemon works; it's an inherently unbalanced game whether there are hidden abilities or not.

The reality is the introduction of hidden abilities won't save the majority of pokemon resulting in the meta becoming "stale" yet again. Returning to the example of Beartic, nobody gave it a second thought even with Swift Swim because it was outclassed by other swift swimmers.

This is why I'm so disinterested in this matter. If we don't get hidden abilities, fine. If we do get hidden abilities it would be the same situation with different names.

Big disagree, I think it would increase the amount of pokemon used in other tiers instead of the majority of pokemon being in a junk bin of never being used.

I don't care of your disinterested in the matter, thats great, go away instead of screwing with me cuz "I actually do care" about this, its been 3 years and it bothers me alot that a large chunk of pokemon are not usable in todays meta due to this. I feel like it would widen the meta, whats the problem with more choices? I mean we got both blissy and chancy in overused atm, I'm sure even if beartic got added to overused (and I doubt that even with his HA) he wouldn't "displace or replace" something else, it would be another option, another thing people could do.

Like sheeit I'm using kabutops atm with kingdra for their swift swim, even tho kabutops isn't overused tier it still does fairly well there.... thats the whole point with beartic, altho he might not make overused tier, he could still do fairly well there if used correctly... but without his HA there is no possibility of that happening, along with alot of other pokemon in the never used box.

Maybe your too dense to see the point I'm making here but the majority of pokemon are in the never used box, I think anything we can do to take more pokemon out of that never used box and back into general play is a good thing. Having the meta selection limited by inactive hidden abilities, again, limits the selection of viable pokemon, again, I'd use beartic without a 2nd thought if he had swift swim, I already have a 5x31 built from back in 2018 but without swift swim he just sits in my unused box, not getting the love he deserves or could have.

Plus lets not pretend like this dungeon idea is good.

Your tryna tell me that my 5x31 beartic needs to be used as breeding material purely cuz hidden abilities are exclusive to pokemon from this dungeon and won't be enabled for all pokemon? <- This is very upsetting to know that my entire box of pokes will need to be remade in order to have what they should have naturally anyways with their hidden abilities.

No part of this experience has been fun or has expanded the meta, in fact, its been frusterating to deal with the limited pokemon selection "I'd use this, but I cant cuz its missing its hidden ability so I cant do what I wanted with this poke anymore" is a very real thing, it limits the selection of pokes that could be used in comp pvp and limits the meta to the point where there is alot of people using the same teams or combos of pokemon cuz theres legitimately no other choice to get the goals they want due to the limited selection.

12 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

dont worry, HA's in 2 decades but definitely buy the new limited edition 1 time vanity now for $15 a pop before it gets replaced by another in 2 weeks

#VanityMMO2021

Yeah like I don't care about the vanity shit.. I'll be real, I've put real legitimate money into this game and had zero problems supporting this game for years.

But I quit in 2018 cuz the response to adding hidden abilities was so lame, I gotta wait for dungeons AND use all my comp pokes as breeding materials for these new pokes I need to hunt down? The whole thing is absolutely silly. Make a dungeon but give us something rewarding from it instead of punishing the entire community into forcefully remaking all their pokes.

Just really pisses me off cuz they are so lazy they can't think of anything better to have as rewards? Like sheeet just let them earn something that doubles shiney rate and is locked to your person and everybody would be grinding for it, have it only be good for a day or two and everybody will be repeatedly doing your dungeon... But it might reduce costs of people buying shiney increase with real money so they won't do that... I can think of dozens of other things that would be useful rewards without withholding hidden abilities.

I fear this game that I tried to support and invest into, just became more focused on making money than actually finishing the game by finishing the pokemon's hidden abilities... like they are in the game, some enemy trainers have them so its really bothersome to see that its there, its coded to be there, they are just making the CHOICE to withhold this part of the game from us cuz they view it was part of their "feature" that is dungeons.

Like if you wana create a new feature; cool. But don't take part of the game away and call it a new feature.

Legit they told me last time if they released HA's than they wouldn't have anything else to release for feature and that wouldn't be good... like isn't that the whole bloody point? Finish all features in the game so that we have a completed thing and THAN add something new like dungeons as a new feature.... people want to play a finished game, nobody cares if the dev's don't have a feature to work on, thats the whole point of being a dev, completing tasks and moving past them... not saying "we can't complete these tasks cuz we need tasks to work on, so we're going to withhold these parts of the game so we can have tasks to do" its bloody silly as hell and kinda pisses me off that this is an actual choice they made.

Edited by greenspade

Like I'd rather see them give a way to grind cash shop points through the dungeon, cuz I mean you can buy things from other players but it would be nice if you could earn your own cash shop points.

That would be a super valuable thing that people could grind for and would grind for, I think you could see people repeatedly doing dungeon all day for days grinding to try n get what they want.

At that point its universal, you could grab anything you wanted if you had enough points.

I'm just spitballing ideas here but withholding hidden abilities so it can be added to a part of the game that never existed to start with is a extremely bad idea when there is many other alternative options.

I've got over 2000 hours in the game at this point (my sig is old) and honestly it really just sap'd the energy out of me continuing to play to know that all comp/pvp pokes I make will have to be used as breeding material later.. Its like every pokemon I ever meet won't ever be good enough to use till these hidden abilities come out, than what, now every breeder has to work harder to complete orders by finding some special dungeon only pokemon that only spawns on a particular day? This whole thing is silly, theres over 600 pokemon in the game and your telling me that your gona cycle them what, daily? 85 different pokes a day somewhere in this dungeon? This sounds like a spawn rate nihgtmare, you'd have to chop them up into different zones spawn diff pokes but even than, you'd need what, 8+ zones? And at that point your what, gate keeping hidden abilities of some pokemon in the last zones away from the community who might not make it that far or forcing them to pay a premium to get someone else to do it? The more I think about it (from a dev/game design point of view) the more it seems like a really bad idea.

Dungeon could be great but it would be nice to see some real rewards, even minor versions of cash shop items that last a day to a week instead of a month could be cool rewards. or grinding points you could exchange for things in the cash shop like the HM flutes.

I mean you could always buy this stuff with in game money, but I feel like having the ability to farm the materials yourself would be good for alot of players who would rather do it themselves, having a dungeon to do that would be awesome... think battle points but for cash shop items, maybe different versions of cash shop items that are locked to player and don't last as long.. could even make it so the cash shop items you buy like the HM flutes disapear after a month forcing you to hit the dungeon again if you want it for another month without actually buying it, if you bought it with a new point type like battle points, than people would need to grind a number of dungeons depending on what they wanted much like battle points. <-- this would be great imo.

Edited by greenspade

Four years later and beartic is still in bad shape, no slush rush OR swift swim but they gave him "snow plow" that has the same effect as slush rush, but isn't called slush rush... cuz screw me and this whole thread?

Barely playing now, been using other pvp communities if this one isnt coded properly and the devs want to withhold content to "make new content"

Bloody silly to me the game is still left in this state..... Gym leaders all use hidden abilities; they are coded in the game; but we can't have access to them cuz they want to make some dungeon that still isnt out 4 years later? Mind boggle'n.

On 4/1/2021 at 2:45 AM, Quakkz said:

okay, next year is my turn

Its next year, its your turn to complain about this

On 4/1/2021 at 3:50 AM, RealMak said:

We will be back in 2022

I'm back in 2022 complaining yet again about the same 4 year old issue that still hasnt been fixed.

The same 4 year old "soon" dungeon that still is not in the bloody game.

The same gym leaders who get to taunt us with hidden abilities on their pokemon; but we have them locked cuz the devs hate us.