April-Movement Discussion Thread

For the sake of discussion, I am going to list everything below cutoff points, even BL mons, this does not mean BL mons are moving down.

4.36% to move either way this month, end of the season start of a new season.

Moving up to OU:

Jellicent

BL1 Mons below cutoff:

Lucario
Porygon-z
Haxorus

Moving down to UU:

Swampert
Gastrodon

Moving up to UU:

Electrode

Moving down to NU:

Slowbro
Typhlosion
Azumarill
Gigalith

Imo it's too soon to quick ban Azu. The CB set is the most threatening and consistent set I'd argue, BD sounds nice on paper but will prob be hard to pull of and can even be easily stopped (it would likely get a kill first). Even then the CB set is stopped by things like Rocky Helm Quag, Slowbro, Tangrowth, Alomola. And those are just the safest switch ins to most of its moves. At +6 Haze Golbat and Mantine can put an end to the boost while common mons like Venusaur and Sceptile can take a +6 jet and kill it. Mind you that ice punch will really not hit mantine or golbat that hard when it isnt boosted by CB and even defensive Venu would be able to take 3.

Im more concerned with Typhlosion, it can straight up 2 hit everything besides calm mantine with a choicespecs set. Houndoom gets trapped easy by dugtrio with teleport support from Cleffa/Slowbro and can abuse uturn + sunny day + defog Whimsi.

Azumaril gets handled by Slowbro, Alomomola, Quagsire and Mantine i think. 

Could be wrong tho we need to see how the meta evolves around that

Edit: Gigalith dropped too that will help with Typhlosion but on paper it still looks overwhelming 

Edited by CaptnBaklava
1 minute ago, CaptnBaklava said:

Im more concerned with Typhlosion, it can straight up 2 hit everything besides calm mantine with a choicespecs set. Houndoom gets trapped easy by dugtrio with teleport support from Cleffa/Slowbro and can abuse uturn + sunny day + defog Whimsi.

Azumaril gets handled by Slowbro, Alomomola and Quagsire i think. 

Could be wrong tho we need to see how the meta evolves around that

Mantine hazer or venusaur the ones you mentiones are not even close to being counters one of the azumarill sets were belly drum/bounce/return/aqua jet.

I would've plead for quickban Typhlosion if Gigalith hadn't dropped as well. Instead, I'd lean more for a suspect. Honestly I think the only Typh switch could be Gigalith and thats freaking it. Not even Mantine or Clef switch into that if it's LO Mixed/Specs. Base 100 Speed is freaking insane for NU, outspeeding "fast" things like Rotom, Houndoom, Drapion, etc. Yes, it gets trapped by Dugtrio, but you have to grow a big goddamn pair of eggs to hard switch Duggy into Typh and not sacking 1-2 Pokémon in the meanwhile. This can overcentralize the meta a bit, I'd recommend keeping an eye on it.

Azumarill at least drops with Slowbro and has enough checks here in NU anyway, such as Baklava stated above; Bulky Venu is a common thing, and we have a plethora of physical walls that'd love to eat any move Azumarill can present or just straight revenge kill it. I'm fine with it in the meanwhile unless some weird chinese set starts to get 80% winrate. 

Gigalith is meh. At least checks Typhlosion.

Slowbro good to have u back bro <3

Edited by Akaruyo
39 minutes ago, CaptnBaklava said:

then ppl need to adapt and use new things to handle those mons 

a great example that can safely come in a typloshion is spdef poliwrath

and who knows maybe we see some people use new mons to handle such mons.

Typloshion cant touch lampent as well :) 

Hariyama with thickfat,
Frillish (people already start naming this mon for azumarill)

and maybe some more idk ,

really sad how alot of ppl complain with stuff like : Oooh only gigalith/mantine can handle typloshion, bcs thats simple not true

16 minutes ago, PoseidonWrath said:

then ppl need to adapt and use new things to handle those mons 

a great example that can safely come in a typloshion is spdef poliwrath

and who knows maybe we see some people use new mons to handle such mons.

Typloshion cant touch lampent as well :) 

Hariyama with thickfat,
Frillish (people already start naming this mon for azumarill)

and maybe some more idk ,

really sad how alot of ppl complain with stuff like : Oooh only gigalith/mantine can handle typloshion, bcs thats simple not true

Poli and Hari have to be scared of extrasensory on the switch. I have never played lampent will look at that one :) frillish actually is a really good idea thanks for that. 

19 minutes ago, CaptnBaklava said:

Poli and Hari have to be scared of extrasensory on the switch.

depends on the moveset, in UU it was mostly Eruption/Flamethrower/hiddenpower/focusblast

ye maybe it will get used in NU since there are mons like golbat,haryi and poliwrath , 

i really doubt people gonna use extransen tho since flamethrower is like a must (with strock on the field 24/7 u cant use eruption alot)

Hiddenpower rock or grass for mantine, poli (maybe rhydon as well if ppl dont want to risk fblast) their biggest fear has to be Mantine so hp rock is alot considerd

Focusblast for mons like munchlax, Clefable, i guess houndoom as well.

so yeah it really depends on the moveset and yea frillish gonna be #1 in this tier since azu and typ are down haha

Edited by PoseidonWrath

Y'all forget mixed Typhlo? EQ easy. It's not a matter of coverage it's a matter of having plays. With Dugtrio in the tier Typhlo becomes a 1 for 1 trade at best. If you get a kill, you lose your Typhlo to Dugtrio the next turn. I reckon it will be fine. Too many bulky waters to shake a stick at. Slowing the OG Typhlo counter

Thyplosion competes directly with Blaziken for a fire slot in NU too and Blaziken is one of the best NU mons in the tier right now. I actually don't think Specs will be viable for Typhlo, yes the calcs look amazing and 100 base speed seems like enough. But NU is filled with scarf Blaziken and Rotoms that dent Typhlo hard enough that Eruption doesn't matter anymore. Being easily revenged by Dug is definitely not what you want from you fire wallbreaker either. So ya the calcs for specs seems overwhelming, but it isn't that realistic imo. In fact Charizard would be the better specs abuser because it doesn't get trapped by Duggie. 

All in all, we couldn't have asked for a better group of simultaneous drops as they all help balance and check each other. Slowbro helps with Azumaril, Giga and Azu with Typhlo, and so on.

Im agree with this changes.

I think Azumarill is a danger, but it definitely will not destroy NU, and with Venusaur being the most used of NU....
Typhlosion will be stopped with Mantine, Houndoom, and other Pokemons (Untiers are comming)

And maybe Azumarill will go up the following month to UU due to the rise of Jellicent to OU

11 minutes ago, DiosSlurpuff said:

Azumarill + Electrode + Linoone in NU, it seems to me something ridiculous, if too many players (Many of them with good judgment) complained about this type of compositions 1 year ago in the UU, what is expected of NU?

Moving up to UU:

Electrode

11 hours ago, ThinkNicer said:

Imo it's too soon to quick ban Azu. The CB set is the most threatening and consistent set I'd argue, BD sounds nice on paper but will prob be hard to pull of and can even be easily stopped (it would likely get a kill first). Even then the CB set is stopped by things like Rocky Helm Quag, Slowbro, Tangrowth, Alomola. And those are just the safest switch ins to most of its moves. At +6 Haze Golbat and Mantine can put an end to the boost while common mons like Venusaur and Sceptile can take a +6 jet and kill it. Mind you that ice punch will really not hit mantine or golbat that hard when it isnt boosted by CB and even defensive Venu would be able to take 3.

The fun begins when 0 hp invested Sitrus berry Azumarill survives Giga drain bold Venusaur AFTER BELLY DRUM!!!

The fun continues when Itemless Azuma 2hkoes bold venu with Ice punch WITHOUT BOOSTS!

The fun proceeds when Sceptile has a high chance of dying to +6 aqua jet after rocks.

And the fun ends to Golbat for as long rocks are in. 

You can then focus on mantine speedy haze, which then loses to CB azuma, and to everything else it was supposed to counter before, cause its defenses become paperlike.

Oh, did I mention screens are a thing?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.