Shiny breeding change suggestion

festegio

Question

The way it currently works, I believe that breeding shinys is far too expensive. In most cases, you could buy an already perfect bred shiny 'mon for much less than it would cost you to breed up your own shiny, starting with one that you caught. I don't think this makes sense. Finding a shiny is rare in this game, having to spend 20+m to make it competitive is a lot. So my suggestion to change it would be:

1. Allow Shiny to breed with non-shiny

2. add a brace like the ev or nature braces to grantee that a shiny parent passes down it's shinyness

3 remove the increased stat highroll chance when shiny breeding (maybe keep if you DO breed shiny with shiny, idk if possible)

I believe that this would have a couple of affects:

1. (the benefit) base shinys (wild catch ones) will go up in price and become more desirable, due to shiny breeding becoming more affordable

2. Perfect IV shinies go down in price slightly (not necessarily good)

Shiny breeding would still be much more expensive than non-shiny breeding because since you have to hold the shiny brace every time you breed, you can only pass on one stat/nature at a time.

Let me know what you think, even if it's that I'm a dummy.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Edited by festegio
missed a point

12 answers to this question

This is stupid, lemme explain why:

1. The beginning: basicly what you described by "you can breed a comp for less that its price on gtl" is how comp trading on gtl works, because people want to make a profit. (also shiny breeding is way more than 20mil if you buy the mons) 

Suggestions:

1. It was removed for a reason, because people kept accidentally breeding their shinies with normal mons

2. Shiny brace to guarantee the egg would be shiny would cost a ton imo, and would prevent the egg to gain stats unless there is some kind of an increased highroll chance or something

3. I don't think there is an increased highroll for ivs, but if you took that out it would make shinybreeding a moneysink, because eggivs would change but not increase

"effects":

1. HOW? If you made shiny breeding guaranteed shiny eggs with normal parent the shiny prices would go way down, because you only need 1 shiny and there just breed it into a comp lmao

2. how is that a negative when you want more accesible shiny comps? 

Conclusion:

You are making this suggestion to lower the prices of breeding a shiny comp which in fact is the same prices as breeding a normal comp but paying millions for mons. But this "issue" doesnt come from breeding costing a lot, it comes from shinies costing a lot. You saying that "hey these changes make shiny breeding cheaper" whilst saying that "it would be still much more than a normal breeding" is basicly shooting yourself in the foot, because you don't know what makes shiny breeding expensive and you don't convince me that it would lower the prices. Also the line "you can only pass a nature/iv per breeding" shows me you don't have knowledge in breeding in general. Because how comp breeding works is that they pass 1 iv and nature or 2 ivs to the egg and advance guaranteed. Your suggested shiny breeding method would cause scenarios where you breed a nature onto a shiny, then losing the nature because you bred on an iv, then losing an iv because you bred on a nature and so on, making shiny comps basicly impossible to make and making shiny breeding in general a money sink. That's why this suggestion is stupid. 

Staff's initial justification for creating shiny breeding (when it's not an actual mechanic in the main series) in 2016 was that it was a shiny sink, similar to money sinks. When they added hordes, they knew it would cause a massive inflation in the total number of shinys, and all shiny prices would tank as a result, unless they did something about it. They legit made the mechanics intentionally so we have to "consume" 2 shinys to get 1 better shiny to try to balance out the addition of hordes. Since your suggestion is to allow shinys to be refined without actually consuming any other shinys, it's pretty safe to say it will never be added

29 minutes ago, Financier said:

1. The beginning: basicly what you described by "you can breed a comp for less that its price on gtl" is how comp trading on gtl works, because people want to make a

this is actually the opposite of what I said. You can buy a comp shiny on the GTL for much LESS than it would cost you breed your own. Never mentioned standard 'mon's.

31 minutes ago, Financier said:

3. I don't think there is an increased highroll for ivs, but if you took that out it would make shinybreeding a moneysink, because eggivs would change but not increase

"effects":

There absolutely is.

https://www.facebook.com/PokeMMORPG/posts/1846164338857731?comment_id=1846199715520860

and

34 minutes ago, Financier said:

2. how is that a negative when you want more accesible shiny comps? 

I don't want that at all. In fact, I dont want to buy anybody's 'mons. That's the entire point. I want to be able to breed my shiny that I caught into something viable without dropping $200 real money, or grinding for months. My solution honestly isn't great, but that was my thought going into this.

36 minutes ago, Financier said:

Also the line "you can only pass a nature/iv per breeding" shows me you don't have knowledge in breeding in general.

I really think you just misunderstood something here. If one 'mon needs to hold the shiny brace (as per my suggestion, not trying to defend that it's a good suggestion) then obviously you could only pass on one stat or a nature from the other 'mon..... I fully understand how breeding works.

17 minutes ago, awkways said:

Staff's initial justification for creating shiny breeding (when it's not an actual mechanic in the main series) in 2016 was that it was a shiny sink, similar to money sinks. When they added hordes, they knew it would cause a massive inflation in the total number of shinys, and all shiny prices would tank as a result, unless they did something about it. They legit made the mechanics intentionally so we have to "consume" 2 shinys to get 1 better shiny to try to balance out the addition of hordes. Since your suggestion is to allow shinys to be refined without actually consuming any other shinys, it's pretty safe to say it will never be added

Makes sense. if that's the direction the devs wanted to go in then I totally understand. I guess no useful shinys for us plebs then.

8 minutes ago, Financier said:

You don't need to have comp shinies, you know? 

nah and I'm cool with not having them. I just think it's kinda disappointing they have no use for realistically 90% of the playerbase other than a quick jolt to your cash stack. Was looking forward to shiny hunting once I have more comp 'mons I want and now I see no point. Still a great game.

Edited by festegio

Your idea is really cool because the shinys we get could be useful and keep our name in OT.  However, I think the main reason why PokeMMO does not allow a shiny and a non-shiny pokemon to breed is in order to prevent a rare shiny from being obtained from an ordinary shiny.  For example, breeding an ordinary charmander with a shiny pokemon from the same egg group or ditto to obtain a shiny charmander.  I have already read that explanation in some PokeMMO post.  A suggestion for the 'shiny brace' to work in order to avoid that issue, is to make it works only if the descendant is the same species as the parent wearing the shiny brace. Or if it maintain the species, beyond shinyness.  In this case, you must find the rare shiny first, and then you could use the shiny brace on it while transferring the other desired features (IV stats, nature) breeding with other non-shiny pokemon. Tranferring one characteristic at a time, since the shiny pokemon should always wear the shiny brace.

Edited by JosFsr
10 hours ago, festegio said:

nah and I'm cool with not having them. I just think it's kinda disappointing they have no use for realistically 90% of the playerbase other than a quick jolt to your cash stack. Was looking forward to shiny hunting once I have more comp 'mons I want and now I see no point. Still a great game.

I mean they are mostly just for flex to begin with, so