Requesting iOS port since many are Jailbroken now

IegendaryKnight

Question

I’m requesting pokemmo to be ported over to iOS. Jailbreak came out recently for all iOS devices so there are many people already Jailbroken. It makes sense to port it over now. Most people don’t use Android. If cross play is possible with Android and pc, even better. I can only play it on my modded Nintendo switch on Android and would be relieved to only use my iPhone to play pokemmo. I’ll even donate for the project and expect others to do so as well. 

For the people that couldn’t jailbreak, they can easily side load the app on iOS through AltStore as well.

Edited by IegendaryKnight
More info

9 answers to this question

50 minutes ago, IegendaryKnight said:

I’m requesting pokemmo to be ported over to iOS. Jailbreak came out recently for all iOS devices so there are many people already Jailbroken. It makes sense to port it over now. Most people don’t use Android. If cross play is possible with Android, even better. I can only play it on my modded Nintendo switch on Android and would be relieved to only use my iPhone to play pokemmo. I’ll even donate for the project and expect others to do so as well. 

If this is done and is possible, it'd give me an incentive to jailbreak my iOS device

Just wanna point out this statement is wildly inaccurate:

On 3/5/2021 at 12:00 AM, IegendaryKnight said:

Most people don’t use Android.

I think it only seems that way in some certain regions/countries specifically because most cultures lean heavily to one or the other. Globally though (and this is a global game), Android has something like 70%+ of the total smart phone users. Give it a search if you wanna look more into that, there's tons and tons of sources & they all have slightly diff numbers, but show Android totally clapping iOS on total smartphone users since around 2012.

I know that this suggestion has been brought up many times since the mobile client was added in 2018 and typically the responses are just saying either:

• "It's a legal issue due to PokeMMO needing to be in the apple app store"

I believe jailbreaking the device makes this no longer necessary, or maybe like @kuplion mentioned there are alternatives, but I'm not a lawyer and don't know exactly how iOS works. PokeMMO seems to have pretty good lawyers for the game to still be alive tho, if it's possible legally to get their game to work on iOS they prob should eventually as it would allow more players to be here, and ultimately a longer lifespan of the game.

• "Staff are already struggling to push actual updates, this would only take up more time"

All suggestions take time/work from devs. Why would they even have a suggestion box if they didn't want players suggesting things that they could implement later on? This is by far the weakest excuse as to why something shouldn't be implemented, and basically amounts to saying "I don't like this idea and it shouldn't be added because I like other suggestions better". Suggestion boxes are for brainstorming ideas, not comparing them.

In general, this suggestion seems good to me. The more players who can join, the better the game will be in the long run. IMO it would be nice to see a staff member share their thoughts on if an iOS client is (legally) possible & if it would be worth the time/effort for them. If anything just to prevent 100 more threads asking for this in the future

Hi,

I don't think this is ever likely to be implemented for a couple of reasons:

1. The Android client is possible because Android apps are compiled natively from Java, and the desktop client is written in Java. This makes porting it fairly easy; you just need to include libraries for Android support and rework the UI to be mobile-friendly. By contrast, iOS apps require an entirely different and native ecosystem. The client would more or less need to be rebuilt from scratch to support it.
  2. As you observe, the app would require jailbreaking. No matter how "many are jailbroken now", the overwhelming majority of iOS users do not jailbreak their devices. I know this because I work in application development and because of our market research on mobile users, both iOS and Android. As @ohSwervo observed, he has an iOS device but hasn't jailbroken it, probably because it does >95% of iOS users no good on its own and also voids your warranty. Finally, it's unlikely that the team has the desire to support a jailbroken-only environment.

Hope this helps!

On 3/14/2021 at 3:19 AM, MoxPeanut said:

Hi,

I don't think this is ever likely to be implemented for a couple of reasons:

1. The Android client is possible because Android apps are compiled natively from Java, and the desktop client is written in Java. This makes porting it fairly easy; you just need to include libraries for Android support and rework the UI to be mobile-friendly. By contrast, iOS apps require an entirely different and native ecosystem. The client would more or less need to be rebuilt from scratch to support it.
  2. As you observe, the app would require jailbreaking. No matter how "many are jailbroken now", the overwhelming majority of iOS users do not jailbreak their devices. I know this because I work in application development and because of our market research on mobile users, both iOS and Android. As @ohSwervo observed, he has an iOS device but hasn't jailbroken it, probably because it does >95% of iOS users no good on its own and also voids your warranty. Finally, it's unlikely that the team has the desire to support a jailbroken-only environment.

Hope this helps!

Jailbreaking isn’t the only option. Users that are not Jailbroken can side load non-AppStore apps and refresh them every week through AltStore. If they have a developer account, they can refresh the apps once a year. 

the reason I brought jailbreaking up is because the pokemmo developer only publicly acknowledged jailbreaking as the only way to install the app and said they would not port it in the past. We have the side loading option for everyone that’s not Jailbroken. It just requires work on their part to port it. 

5 hours ago, IegendaryKnight said:

Jailbreaking isn’t the only option. Users that are not Jailbroken can side load non-AppStore apps and refresh them every week through AltStore. If they have a developer account, they can refresh the apps once a year. 

the reason I brought jailbreaking up is because the pokemmo developer only publicly acknowledged jailbreaking as the only way to install the app and said they would not port it in the past. We have the side loading option for everyone that’s not Jailbroken. It just requires work on their part to port it. 

Hi again,

I am aware that you can mess around with the Apple developer features to functionally get the results you want. However, I don't believe that this delivers a good user experience, and it ties PokeMMO to third-party distribution networks, which could have legal ramifications. It also does not acknowledge the relatively huge development task associated with building and distributing an iOS port, compared to an Android port, given that the project was built in Java to begin with.

I very much doubt that this is a path the PokeMMO dev team would be willing to go down, particularly when Android devices already represent ~80% of all smartphone users, and when that development time could be better spent adding features to the game.

Indeed, part of the reason I choose Android over iOS is precisely because I want the option of side-loading third party applications and having them work natively on my device. The restrictive nature of Apple's ecosystem is a huge turn-off to me. Remember that a killer app is a reason to buy a system; if PokeMMO on a mobile device is a killer app for you, perhaps you could choose an Android device next time you look to buy a phone?

Hope this help!

On 23/3/2021 at 11:59, DamianTe said:

Hola de nuevo,

Soy consciente de que puede jugar con las funciones de desarrollador de Apple para obtener funcionalmente los resultados que desea. Sin embargo, no creo que esto brinde una buena experiencia de usuario y vincula a PokeMMO con redes de distribución de terceros, lo que podría tener ramificaciones legales. Tampoco reconoce la tarea de desarrollo relativamente grande asociada con la construcción y distribución de un puerto de iOS, en comparación con un puerto de Android, dado que el proyecto se creó en Java para empezar.

Dudo mucho que este sea un camino que el equipo de desarrollo de PokeMMO estaría dispuesto a seguir, particularmente cuando los dispositivos Android ya representan ~80% de todos los usuarios de teléfonos inteligentes, y cuando ese tiempo de desarrollo podría aprovecharse mejor agregando características al juego.

De hecho, parte de la razón por la que elijo Android sobre iOS es precisamente porque quiero la opción de cargar aplicaciones de terceros y hacer que funcionen de forma nativa en mi dispositivo. La naturaleza restrictiva del ecosistema de Apple es un gran desvío para mí. Recuerde que una aplicación excelente es una razón para comprar un sistema; Si PokeMMO en un dispositivo móvil es una excelente aplicación para ti, ¿tal vez podrías elegir un dispositivo Android la próxima vez que busques comprar un teléfono?

¡Espero que esto ayude!

I think you have no idea how an iPhone works this year bro
I advise you to inform yourself a little before...

Remember that a killer app is a reason to buy a system; if PokeMMO on a mobile device is a killer app for you, perhaps you could choose an Android device next time you look to buy a phone?

Did you really say this?
you're right about one thing... 80% of humanity are poor, that's why 80% have android...

the rest have HIGH end android like samgung Galaxy s22 or Note and the rest are smart and we buy the iphone.

If you don't know about Iphone, study...
Since currently you can use emulators and play and install Roms normally... that is what this game does emulate a rom and modify it "even if they say it is not a HackRoms... since it modifies it by code and it doesn't modify the roms directly.

To say that you buy an Android because the time you have to complete your game is not something valuable is very sad.

Having a complete product is ideal for anyone...
and it's not a waste of time.