The actual end of PokeMMO (Thought Process) *Nothing is Confirmed*

So what if you woke up and pokemmo was no longer running?

The thought comes to mind every now and then with being a player since late 2015 with the game being up since 2012, im sure the devs have put some consideration on how they would like to end it from a wide range of scenarios. All thoughts are welcome express legal concerns *unless the staff state otherwise*, how you think/believe of when/how the game may end unless the devs aint immortal anime characters.

Asking for a friend that's all...

Edited by GodofKawaii
totally not asking for a friend
  • GodofKawaii changed the title to The actual end of PokeMMO (Thoughts only) *Nothing is Confirmed*
Just now, Neuzzz said:

New players join everyday, meaning a new flow of "donation" all appear even if there are some who quit the game. So i don't see it ending any time soon.

as that may be true a donation can't stop a dev from the Covid and potentially just stopping any development or upkeep of the server

I'm curious about what makes PokeMMO survives from legal issues leading to shutdown. I know a little bit of Copyright laws, but it's difficult to apply it to fangames. 

Since the source code isn't different because of ROMs, the only way I can see that is because PokeMMO has a different UI, and adds something original to the game being online and having online features and changes in game itself. I wonder if the fact that some things proper to each games are not implemented due to legal issues, or because it's difficult to add.

I don't know which country PokeMMO depends to lawful wise, but I wonder if the number of Devs working on it affects the law as PokeMMO can have a different status. 

We just have to cross fingers and hope PokeMMO lives long ! Nintendo is a uguu for copyright 

54 minutes ago, Poufilou said:

I'm curious about what makes PokeMMO survives from legal issues leading to shutdown. I know a little bit of Copyright laws, but it's difficult to apply it to fangames. 

Since the source code isn't different because of ROMs, the only way I can see that is because PokeMMO has a different UI, and adds something original to the game being online and having online features and changes in game itself. I wonder if the fact that some things proper to each games are not implemented due to legal issues, or because it's difficult to add.

I don't know which country PokeMMO depends to lawful wise, but I wonder if the number of Devs working on it affects the law as PokeMMO can have a different status. 

We just have to cross fingers and hope PokeMMO lives long ! Nintendo is a uguu for copyright 

I would like to know that too

1 hour ago, Poufilou said:

Funnily enough I've heard that the game being in "Alpha" stage actually contributes to it XD

4 hours ago, Poufilou said:

Removed (:

Edited by pokelace
It's not my responsibility to discuss the legality of the game.
7 hours ago, Poufilou said:

I'm curious about what makes PokeMMO survives from legal issues leading to shutdown.

i've seen some threads and had a talk with some friends who had ideas of a members/subscription server *one popped up lastnight* but quickly got flushed by the fact it was leading to selling gamefreaks content which obviously a big no.

13 hours ago, Poufilou said:

Removed

Edited by MoxPeanut
Since others are not discussing the legality of the game, I probably shouldn't either
On 2/25/2021 at 6:14 AM, GodofKawaii said:

So what if you woke up and pokemmo was no longer running?

I'll probably be sad of knowing that all my stuff will be forever lost...

And then I'll migrate to War Thunder.

On 2/25/2021 at 6:14 AM, GodofKawaii said:

how you think/believe of when/how the game may end unless the devs aint immortal anime characters

At some time the Devs are gonna lose interest in this game and then, the game will be finished, like Club Penguin

• GodofKawaii changed the title to The actual end of PokeMMO (Thought Process) *Nothing is Confirmed*

They get away with it because they dont sell direct nintendo content, they barely run the game. Its actually the player that does all the "criminal activity" by downloading all the ROM files. Without those files, its just a script, and barely considered a game. Add that to the fact they dont advertise sales, RP will cost the same today as it did last year and likely will cost exactly the same next year since they cant actually "market/advertise" the "donations". They are not donations if they advertise. They are purchases. And that kinda ties into the fact that they dont actually name any vanities from actual pokemon. The rattata costume is "small rat hood" instead of simply naming it rattata hood. Sure it might LOOK like one...but it aint...its just a rat...that happens to be purple ;)

Its little loopholes like that, which prevent nintendo from copyright stomping pokemmo

Maaaybe not EXACTLY like that.....but thats the general concept as to how pokemmo will be 10 years strong soon

Edited by CanadaSorry
10 minutes ago, CanadaSorry said:

Its actually the player that does all the "criminal activity" by downloading all the ROM files.

Woah now, I saved copies of my physical Game Cartridge ROMs as backups like a good little boy.

I honestly think that if Nintendo really wanted to fight the fight, they could go after PokeMMO and put enough legal pressure on them that the game would grind to a halt. Like, the Devs may win in the end, but there’s enough here that it could probably get dragged to court. It’s just that the lawyer costs for Nintendo aren’t worth it. Other games have been shut down because it’s a more EZ Clap legal case that Nintendo could win without hesitation.