Gym Rebattle Setup for all Regions (Updated 19/12/2021)

Hi there,

• Introduction
Spoiler

Welcome to my gym run guide among the "gym run guides" that seems similar to each other. I would like to offer my new team setup that I have been continuously using for 3 months straight. I believed it would be able to face all kind of gyms' teams.

•  New Update (19/12/2021)
Spoiler

- Updated "For whoever that wants to follow my guide"

>Updated Unova + Kanto

+ Kanto: Psychic Gym: Lead Pokémon: Typhlosion (Eruption) + Hydreigon (Hypervoice) -> Typhlosion (Eruption) + Toxicroak

• For whoever that wants to make different team setups
Spoiler

What you will need typically:
-Typhlosion + Eruption
-Weather setter
-Powerful offensive Pokémon with strong AOE moves but don't or weakly affect your allied Pokémon

Goal:
-Double AOE moves so you can sweep over Focus Sash holders/Sturdy Mons without their retaliations.
-Try to reduce number of texts appearing (optimal), such as Moxie activation, Life Orb/Leftover announcements, etc.
-Try to reduce number of times getting to Pokécenter to heal (by planning the next gym you are confident to fight with your current party's PP, Health)
-Remember the paths to go through mazes quickly.

In summary, no matter what team you use, below are the issues you should pay attention to as you do gym run:
- Long fight against NPCs: long turns mean wasting more time for move animations and texts, the effect of these delays will slowly snowball if you keep getting these against most of the NPCs. Thus, your main job is to defeat your enemies as fast as possible, so their Pokémon can't retaliate most of the time (no texts from them).While it's tough to care about whether you should use Super Effective or not against these "boss-like" NPCs, against normal NPCs, you can safely choose moves that deal neutral damage so no Super Effective/Not Effective text appears, this saves time in a long run.
- Heal too many times in PC: It's apparent that healing in Unova and Sinnoh takes away lots of your precious time, even Kanto and Hoenn healing take away 4-5 seconds from entering the entrance to getting out of the entrance fully healed, when you can use this time to run to your next target instead! That's why while doing combat against the NPC, you should know who you are going for next, how much HP left on the mons that are in charge for that NPC and how many PP left. Preferably, your team should be more or less used overall (not 2-3 used and the rest unused) before you go heal unless you have no other choice. Never push yourself to use unfavorable mons to continue fighting if it makes the fight lasts longer.
- Pokémon Ability Activation: I have seen some players recommend Krookodile or similar Pokémon with constantly activating throughout the battles. In my opinion, I think that while the battle looks like it ends way early, I mean they sweep, all the added time more or less cut down the time that they potentially save, so mathematically they don't save much time at all. Also, not in every battle does they need the boost from ability, this results in a waste of time.

• For whoever that wants to follow my guide
Spoiler

Main Team

Spoiler

1.#157 

Typhlosion @Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze

Nature: Modest
IVs: 2x31 Sp.Atk & Speed (preferably 5x31)
EVs: 6 HP/ 252 Sp.Atk/ 252 Speed
Only 3 moves are needed:
- Eruption (max PP up used to have 8 PP)
- Flamethrower (maybe 1 out of 20 gym runs would you use this)
- Extrasensory (maybe 1 out of 5-10 gym runs would you use this)
- Cut

Eruption for everything in a brain dead way, even against water gyms (unless there is a Kingdra). Cut for the tree barring you from getting to Grass gym in Kanto (like who even buy Cut Ocarina).
If there is no Note that suggests to switch Choice Specs into Choice Scarf, it's to be understood that Typhlosion will have Choice Specs.

2.#121
Starmie @Splash Plate or @Mystic Water
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
IVs: 1x20+ HP, 2x31 Sp.Atk & Speed
EVs: 152 HP/ 234 Sp.Atk/ 124 Speed
- Psychic
- Surf

- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Starmie was built tanky so that it can withstand Surf of other teammates + Earthquake from Toxicroak better. Also, it helps tanking super effective moves from opponents (a bit).
Mainly used for Fire/Poison/Rock/Steel gyms.

3.#279
Pelipper @Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Calm
IVs: 3x27+ HP, Sp.Atk & Speed
EVs: 252 HP/ 126 Sp.Atk/ 132 Speed
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam

Weather setter. Only used to deal damage if really needed.
Mainly used for Rock/Steel/Fire gyms.

4.#454
Toxicroak @Wide Lens
Ability: Dry Skin

Nature: Adamant

IVs: 1x25+ HP, 2x31 Atk & Speed
Evs: 6 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed

- Poison Jab
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

The only Physical damage dealer which is used for clearing whichever still on the field with Rock Slide.
Mainly used for Ice/Steel/Rock/Grass/Normal gyms.

5. #272
Ludicolo @Miracle Seed (Switch to Choice Specs for Sinnoh Electric Gym)
Ability: Swift Swim
IVs: 2x31 Sp.Atk & Speed
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

- Giga Drain

Used to deal with Cynthia's Milotic, Kanto/Sinnoh Water gyms +  Sinnoh Electric gym.

6. #635

Hydreigon @Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
IVs: 1x25+ HP, 2x31 Sp.Atk & Speed
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Surf

- Hypervoice

Best partner for Typhlosion with Hypervoice.

7*.#526
Gigalith @Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 4x25+ HP, Atk, Def & Sp.Def
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 6 Sp.Def
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Explosion

You will only need Gigalith after you clear all gyms + Cynthia, and only Morimoto is left.
Gigalith will only replace Typhlosion as lead against Morimoto only because even though his Pokémon can be swept in 1 move, they tend to have Focus Sash.

Unova + Kanto Route

Spoiler

Start in Unova: Flying -> Ice -> Rock -> (heal) -> Dragon -> (heal) -> Unova Cynthia -> (heal) -> Electric -> Bug -> (heal) -> Fire/Grass/Water -> (heal) -> Normal -> Morimoto -> Undella Bay -> 2 NPCs up North-> fly to Kanto
Then Kanto: Fire -> (heal) -> Poison -> (heal) -> Electric -> Psychic -> Water -> (heal) -> Grass -> Rock

Above is the worst case scenario where you need to heal more than normal, usually you don't need to heal this many times.
In the best case scenario, you have enough time to do 1 more NPC in Route 214 in Sinnoh, below Veilstone City.

image.png.ae6f875b1ba1c6f75cf5e56889b51700.png
The routes depend on HP and item being held of Typhlosion.

In Unova:
Flying/Dragon/Electric/Bug/Water:  Typhlosion (Eruption) + Hydreigon (Hypervoice).

Note: switch Choice Scarf to Typhlosion for Bug gym because sometimes there is a Durant with Choice Scarf, which can use Stone Edge to delete Typhlosion.
Note: If the Water gym leader has a Politoed, switch Typhlosion for Ludicolo.

Rock: Starmie + Toxicroak, usually switch out Toxicroak for Pelipper to cancel Sand Storm.
Note: if the gym leader has Gigalith + Aron (with Sand Storm) or Aggron + Magnezone, DO NOT SWITCH to Pelipper in first turn, use Surf + Earthquake first.

Fire: Starmie + Toxicroak, switch out Toxicroak for Pelipper if there is a Sunny Day, then switch back to Toxicroak. Otherwise spam Surf + Rock Slide first turn.
Note:
sometimes the gym leader has a Blaziken as a 5th/6th mon, so you need to test if Adamant Toxicroak can finish it with Rock Slide or not, otherwise you need to use Earthquake.

Grass/Normal: Typhlosion (Eruption) + Toxicroak (Rock Slide)
Note:
If Normal gym leader has a Blissey, use Drain Punch instead.

Cynthia: Lead with Typhlosion,
switch to Toxicroak if Empoleon appears, then Drain Punch.
switch to Pelipper if Garchomp appears, then Ice Beam.

if Milotic appears, switch to Ludicolo to kill it with Energy Ball (no other way, too tanky)

Morimoto: Lead with Gigalith
Use Stealth Rock, then Rock Blast/ Explosion depending whether on how many more hits it can tank.
switch to Pelipper to reset to Rain, then maybe Ludicolo to sweep.
Note:
If there is a Snorlax, use Toxicroak, need heal in case of paralyzed from Body Slam.

In Kanto:
Fire/Rock: Starmie + Toxicroak, usually switch out Toxicroak for Pelipper to cancel Sunny Day/Sandstorm, then switch back to Toxicroak.
Note:
if Cradily appears, use non-water moves to kill it first.

Poison/Electric/Grass/Psychic: Typhlosion (Eruption) + Hydreigon (Hypervoice).
Note
switch Choice Scarf to Typhlosion only for Grass gym, you will outspeed Chlorophyll Venusaur under Sun if it ever appears.

Psychic: Typhlosion (Eruption) + Toxicroak
Note:
People have concern about Typhlosion Flash Fire held by the gym leader but with Toxicroak + Rock Slide, the threat is 0. Instead it's Snorlax that you should take care of. Its extremely bulkiness and ability Thick Fat together turns your Choice Specs + Eruption into a joke, so having a Toxicroak to kill it with Drain Punch is ideal.

Water: Starmie + Ludicolo
Note:
Use Ludicolo to kill Swift Swim Pokémon.

Sinnoh + Hoenn Route

Spoiler

Start in Sinnoh: Steel -> Rock -> Grass -> Ice -> (heal) -> Ghost -> Fighting -> (heal) -> Electric -> (heal) -> Water -> fly to Hoenn
Then Hoenn: (heal) -> Rock -> Fighting -> Fire -> Normal -> Electric -> Flying -> Psychic -> Water -> fly to Sinnoh -> 4 NPCs at Route 212 below Heartrome City (not guards)

Above is the worst case scenario where you need to heal more than normal, usually you don't need to heal this many times.
In the best case scenario, you have enough time to defeat 2 more NPCs in Unova Route 9 Supermarket (not the maid + butler, the other 2).
The routes depend on HP and item being held of
Typhlosion.

In Sinnoh:
Steel/Rock: Starmie + Toxicroak, usually switch out Toxicroak for Pelipper to cancel Sand Storm.
Note: if the Steel gym leader has Gigalith + Aron (with Sand Storm) or Aggron + Magnezone, DO NOT SWITCH to Pelipper in first turn, use Surf + Earthquake first.

Grass/Ice: Typhlosion (Eruption) + Toxicroak (Rock Slide)
Note:
sometimes Grass gym leader has 2 Pokémon with Focus Sash.

Ghost: Typhlosion (Eruption) + Hydreigon (Dark Pulse)
Note:
if gym leader has a Shedinja + another Pokémon, focus that "another Pokémon, so that Shedinja will use X-scissor on Hydreigon -> Typhlosion maintains full HP.

Fighting: Typhlosion +  Hydreigon (Hypervoice)
Note
switch Choice Scarf to Typhlosion, to outspeed potential Choice Scarf holders.

Electric: Starmie + Ludicolo
Note:
switch Miracle Seed with Choice Specs/Life Orb for Ludicolo, so that it can 1 shot Jolteon if the gym leader has it. Life orb works better for you to switch to Energy Ball/Giga Drain if there is a Lanturn.

Water: Starmie (Thunderbolt) + Toxicroak (Rock Slide)
Note:
switch to Ludicolo the moment the gym leader send out a Water/Earth Pokémon.

In Hoenn:
Rock/Fire: Starmie + Toxicroak, usually switch out Toxicroak for Pelipper to cancel Sand Storm/Sunny Day.
Note:
if Cradily appears, use non-water moves, kill it first.

Normal: Typhlosion (Eruption) + Toxicroak (Rock Slide)
Note:
if the gym leader has Slaking + Chansey, there is a 50-50 chance Slaking will outspeed your team and Body Slam Toxicroak to death. If not, use Drain Punch on Chansey.

Fighting: Typhlosion + Hydreigon (Hyper Voice)
Note:
for Fighting gym, switch Choice Scarf to Typhlosion, to outspeed Choice Scarf Staraptor.

FlyingTyphlosion + Starmie
Note:
for Flying gym, if Pelipper + Dragonite appears, use Eruption + Ice Beam to kill Dragonite. Then send in Hydreigon (Hypervoice) for the rest after Typhlosion dies.

Electric: Typhlosion (Eruption) + Hydreigon (Hypervoice)

Psychic: Typhlosion (Eruption) + Hydreigon (Dark Pulse)

Water: Typhlosion + Hydreigon
Note:
With Typhlosion on the field, the gym leader will use water moves trying to kill it, so you will need to swap Typhlosion for Ludicolo. Often, Kingdra will be sent out, so by having these 2 leads, Hydreigon can 1 OHKO Kingdra with Dragonpulse.

Success Rate of the Guide

You can always finish 4 regions' gyms in 2 hours. Sinnoh-Hoenn Route always have extra time (about 7-12 minutes) to finish up 1-2 gyms that you might have missed from Unova-Kanto Route (mostly due to Cynthia). It's likely to happen when you are not used to the your team setup and gyms' team setups.

Piece of Advice
You should always be flexible while doing gym, the main idea is to decide the next gym you would head to with your current team (after finishing the gym you are doing) so that you reduce the number of time going to heal your Pokémon, as it can decide whether or not you still have time for another 3-5 NPCs or not.

Cheers, thanks for reading the guide!

Edited by Neuzzz
  • Neuzzz changed the title to Gym Rebattles - Team Setup - Step by Step Explanation - 4 Regions in 2 Hours
  • Neuzzz changed the title to Gym Rebattle Setup for all Regions (Updated 17/05/2021)
  • Neuzzz changed the title to Gym Rebattle Setup for all Regions (Updated 18/10/2021)
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for this guide. I just did my first ever rebattle run with this team and won all the battles very easily. I am not very familiar with the gyms in Sinnoh and Unova so you listing only their type and not city name of the gyms makes it a little tedious to follow without writing my own notes, but overall great guide

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BarnacleEd said:

You probably do not want to use Typhlosion for the Kanto Psychic gym; Sabrina occasionally has a Typhlosion of her own with Flash Fire. The Starmie + Toxicroak duo here should handle it fine, I use Aerodactyl (rock slide) + Garchomp (earthquake) team there.

You are right but Typh rarely appears during my run, and it's a minor issue compared to Snorlax, which can wall both eruption and dark pulse easily. Hence, I have been changing into Typh + Toxicroak, as long as Snorlax is gone, the rest is simple.

9 hours ago, Neuzzz said:

You are right but Typh rarely appears during my run, and it's a minor issue compared to Snorlax, which can wall both eruption and dark pulse easily. Hence, I have been changing into Typh + Toxicroak, as long as Snorlax is gone, the rest is simple.

But RNG is RNG. For you, didn't appear too much, but for other people, can appear almost any time

So, even if appear or not, you need to be careful

Edited by caioxlive13
  • Neuzzz changed the title to Gym Rebattle Setup for all Regions (Updated 19/12/2021)