Shiny hunting a Vulpix/Ninetales (I need tips)

This is my first time shiny hunting and I would appreciate it if someone could give me some tips such as where I can find hordes of them, what items are best to use, balls to use etc.. 

All help is appreciated ! :) 

Edited by ohSwervo
15 minutes ago, Fixedgaming said:

@sethsen made a general guide that might be usefull

but the best tip is... stay consistent don't give up.

Some shinies show up in 1 week, others in 1 year

praise sethsen

thank you for showing me this!

Hey Swervo, I'm well-placed to give you some advice; see below

858594889_Screenshotfrom2021-02-2209-19-27.png.aa94c6b6b9750775fa1feca8f9f075f1.png

There are two main options for Vulpix hordes; as mentioned, Abundant Shrine, and Mt Pyre in Hoenn. There are advantages and disadvantages to both:

Abundant Shrine:

Abundant Shrine is easier to get to, being a fly-able location in Unova. However, the Vulpix there know Inferno, which guarantees a burn on your catching pokemon (which is often a Breloom and hence weak to fire), and there's also the possibility that if they're <50 they know Fire Spin, which will prevent you from switching. Finally, Vulpix isn't the only horde in the dark grass in Abundant Shrine; you can also find hordes of Standtler. This means that there is a chance that when you encounter your shiny, it will be a Standtler and not a Vulpix. Of course, the chance that your shiny is a Standtler and not a Vulpix is the same as the chance that any horde is a Standtler horde and not a Vulpix horde, but I wasn't keen to spend 3k leppas on a shiny Standtler. As a result, I picked the alternative location.

Mt Pyre:

The main advantage of farming at Mt Pyre is that Vulpix hordes are a 100% encounter there (see caveat). This means you can safely farm hordes and be assured that you'll encounter a shiny Vulpix. There are however two key disadvantages:

1. Mt Pyre is a bit of a trek to get to from the Pokemon Centre, so you can't fly there easily like you can with Abundant Shrine.

2. Vulpix hordes only appear there at night; during the day, the horde is Medicham

Point 2. above means that there's only a ~2 real-time hour window every 8 real-time hours where you can farm Vulpix hordes at Pyre. If this time doesn't line up with your schedule, it might not be possible for you to farm Vulpix at Pyre.

Considering all the above, I chose to go with Mt Pyre. I wanted the guaranteed Vulpix and I was willing to only farm when it was night-time; when it was day, I did my gym runs, or just logged out and logged back in at Pyre when it was time for Vulpix to spawn.

Hope this helps and good luck with your hunt!

1 minute ago, MoxPeanut said:

Mt Pyre:

The main advantage of farming at Mt Pyre is that Vulpix hordes are a 100% encounter there (see caveat). This means you can safely farm hordes and be assured that you'll encounter a shiny Vulpix. There are however two key disadvantages:

1. Mt Pyre is a bit of a trek to get to from the Pokemon Centre, so you can't fly there easily like you can with Abundant Shrine.

2. Vulpix hordes only appear there at night; during the day, the horde is Medicham

Point 2. above means that there's only a ~2 real-time hour window every 8 real-time hours where you can farm Vulpix hordes at Pyre. If this time doesn't line up with your schedule, it might not be possible for you to farm Vulpix at Pyre.

Considering all the above, I chose to go with Mt Pyre. I wanted the guaranteed Vulpix and I was willing to only farm when it was night-time; when it was day, I did my gym runs, or just logged out and logged back in at Pyre when it was time for Vulpix to spawn.

During the day there are both Vulpix and Meditite hordes, it's not just Meditite.

On 2/21/2021 at 5:38 PM, MoxPeanut said:

Hey Swervo, I'm well-placed to give you some advice; see below

858594889_Screenshotfrom2021-02-2209-19-27.png.aa94c6b6b9750775fa1feca8f9f075f1.png

There are two main options for Vulpix hordes; as mentioned, Abundant Shrine, and Mt Pyre in Hoenn. There are advantages and disadvantages to both:

Abundant Shrine:

Abundant Shrine is easier to get to, being a fly-able location in Unova. However, the Vulpix there know Inferno, which guarantees a burn on your catching pokemon (which is often a Breloom and hence weak to fire), and there's also the possibility that if they're <50 they know Fire Spin, which will prevent you from switching. Finally, Vulpix isn't the only horde in the dark grass in Abundant Shrine; you can also find hordes of Standtler. This means that there is a chance that when you encounter your shiny, it will be a Standtler and not a Vulpix. Of course, the chance that your shiny is a Standtler and not a Vulpix is the same as the chance that any horde is a Standtler horde and not a Vulpix horde, but I wasn't keen to spend 3k leppas on a shiny Standtler. As a result, I picked the alternative location.

Mt Pyre:

Thank you Damian I appreciate all the help I can get, congratulations on your shiny Vulpix! :)