Fix matchmaking for non-ou

Dindra

Question

Imagine if you wil: You a player who got burnt out from OU so you want to branch out into UU, NU or even Dubs. You make the perfect team you have everything you need. You sign up only to realize you just missed the round "This is fine you think to yourself just wait 2 minutes and you'll get a match but after you wait the 2 minutes you get the dreaded message: "Matchmaking: No suitable match could be find this round." so you wait another 2 minutes and again: "Matchmaking: No suitable match could be find this round." and again and again this can go on for 30 minutes at times. You give up "guess it's back to OU for me and chansey, blissey, garchomp, hydreigon and all the other walls and sweepers will be waiting there for you.

This is one of the reasons people only play OU nowadays lets not have UU. NU and Dubs suffer the same fate as LC.

my suggestions: 

make it so as soon as an opponent is available you get paired up if that's not an option atleast make the round time 1 minute instead of 2.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

Edited by Dindra
spelling

4 answers to this question

Then imagine when you're a player that plays exclusively UU, NU or Dubs.

Honestly what we have is close to the best we can get, UU and NU have been fairly alive at most times of the day and I don't think we can fix the community being uninterested in other tiers by simply complaining...

From my experience, you can't play UU at any hour, but I can assure you there's at least over 12h in the day when it's active. Of course, the ladder is less active during this period because many players like myself, who usually spam UU ladder are focussed on the event rather than pvp.

I think what could help is providing more data to the players. I'm sure data like, amount if players in queue is being collected, with timestamps and all. If devs could make a tab that shows the activity of each tier in the past week (per hour) you can pin point what is the best time to play each tier.

If devs want to be ambiguous with the amount of players that play the tier they could opt to not show raw numbers, but percentages in stead, 100% being the amount of unique players queued up throughout the day for the specific tier.

I honesty think there should be a randomized battle like the one on showdown for these tiers.

This helps people understand the meta in an engaging manner and help people find the pokemon they want use. I understand this splits the existing player base of these less played tiers even further so maybe a system where in the weekends the standard NU/ UU tier mm is replaced by the random battles NU/UU.

This would help breaking some of the entry barriers for newer players and hopefully expand it.